[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Windows version of skeleton application?

dimitrov@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Isaac Dimitrovsky) (06/22/91)

[]
A few years back the Mac used to have a sample skeleton application
that "did nothing but did it well". I found this very useful for
getting started quickly with programming in that environment.
Does anyone know if that program or something similar was ported
to Windows?

Isaac Dimitrovsky (dimitrov@lab.ultra.nyu.edu)

jeff@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Jeff Smartt) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun21.181732.18298@cmcl2.nyu.edu> dimitrov@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Isaac Dimitrovsky) writes:

>[]
>A few years back the Mac used to have a sample skeleton application
>that "did nothing but did it well". I found this very useful for
>getting started quickly with programming in that environment.
>Does anyone know if that program or something similar was ported
>to Windows?
>
>Isaac Dimitrovsky (dimitrov@lab.ultra.nyu.edu)

G'day,

why don't you simply cut down the generic sample app that comes with the
windows SDK - I reformatted it into decent code and now use it regularly for
a template.

Jeff.
--
Jeffrey Smartt, Smartt Designs Pty. Ltd.
G.P.O. Box 619, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2001.

bobsc@microsoft.UUCP (Bob SCHMIDT) (06/23/91)

In article <1991Jun21.164753.15112@cmcl2.nyu.edu> dimitrov@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Isaac Dimitrovsky) writes:
%%
%% []
%% A few years back the Mac used to have a sample skeleton application
%% that "did nothing but did it well". I found this very useful for
%% getting started quickly with programming in that environment.
%% Does anyone know if that program or something similar was ported
%% to Windows?
%%
%% Isaac Dimitrovsky (dimitrov@lab.ultra.nyu.edu)

Yes, the program is called GENERIC, and is one of a dozen or so samples
shipped with the Windows SDK.

--  NOTE:  The above is mine alone; I do NOT speak for Microsoft.
--
--  Bob Schmidt        bobsc@microsoft.UUCP
--

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (06/23/91)

For a 'skeletral' windows program, take a look at the "Guide to Programming"
from Microsoft press.  Better still, get hold of Petzold's
"Programming Windows" (Petzold doesn't have a 'skeletral' application per
se, but it will get you started programming windows - excellent book.

Terrell