[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Arrowed Edit Control

divo@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Mark Divittorio) (06/25/91)

There are a number of controls used by MS for edit fields that are
restricted to small integer values.  The controls appear to have
vertical arrows (up and down) that increase/decrease the numeric
value.  The arrows are NOT scroll bars.  Are these standard
undocumented controls, or are they used exclusivley by MS.  I have a
need to use them....  The controls I speak of are in Control
Panel/Desktop/Icon Spacing as an example.

Any help is greatly appreciated ....

divo@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Mark DiVittorio)

dave@wucs1.wustl.edu (David T Mitchell III) (06/26/91)

In article <13790007@hp-vcd.HP.COM> divo@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Mark Divittorio) writes:
>There are a number of controls used by MS for edit fields that are
>restricted to small integer values.  The controls appear to have
>vertical arrows (up and down) that increase/decrease the numeric
>value.  The arrows are NOT scroll bars.  Are these standard
>undocumented controls, or are they used exclusivley by MS.  I have a
>need to use them....  The controls I speak of are in Control
>Panel/Desktop/Icon Spacing as an example.

These are called "spin buttons."  Unfortunately, they are not ms standard
controls.  However, you can find source code for some spin buttons in Jeff
Richter's book _Windows 3: A Developer's Guid_ (ISBN 1-55851-164-4), pages
234-250.  For $39.95, the books filled with source, and *includes* three
diskettes with it.

dave	dave@wucs1.wustl.edu

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (06/26/91)

I believe that the controls you're describing are called "spinners" or
something like that in the CUA spec.  Anyway, please post if you learn
anything about them.

Terrell