[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Strange things are afoot at the Win Kernel...

memetral@athena.mit.edu (Max E. Metral) (06/10/91)

Wierd thing happened yesterday.

Trying to pop us a MessageBox() from a dialog box.  Apparently my
app was clobbering something.  As soon as the Mbox appeared, the root
background was changed to a screen like this:

WIN3
developers:
joes jimk sarahf ...

usered:
joes jimk sarahf...

etc,etc

Neat!  Anybody ever encountered this before?

--==<Max Metral>==--

clif_w1@verifone.com (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun9.222842.28525@athena.mit.edu>, memetral@athena.mit.edu (Max E. Metral) writes:
> Wierd thing happened yesterday.
>
> WIN3
> developers:
> joes jimk sarahf ...
> etc,etc
>
> Neat!  Anybody ever encountered this before?

Yes, I found that is you don't make the char string static in the "message"
parameter this happens.

Clif Westin
MIS
VeriFone Inc.

bonneau@hyper.hyper.com (Paul Bonneau) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun9.222842.28525@athena.mit.edu> memetral@athena.mit.edu (Max E. Metral) writes:

>Wierd thing happened yesterday.
>
>Trying to pop us a MessageBox() from a dialog box.  Apparently my
>app was clobbering something.  As soon as the Mbox appeared, the root
>background was changed to a screen like this:
>
>WIN3
>developers:
>joes jimk sarahf ...
This stuff is the "credits".  It can be displayed by:

Release <f3> and type <backspace>.

Just click on the desktop to make it go away.  I heard that
this has gone away in 3.1 but have not seen for myself.

cheers - Paul Bonneau.

thomas@ssd.kodak.com (Thomas B. Kinsman (37681)) (06/18/91)

In article <2757.2853ceea@verifone.com> clif_w1@verifone.com writes:
>In article <1991Jun9.222842.28525@athena.mit.edu>, memetral@athena.mit.edu (Max E. Metral) writes:
>> Wierd thing happened yesterday.
>> WIN3
>> developers:
>> joes jimk sarahf ...
>> etc,etc
>>
>> Neat!  Anybody ever encountered this before?
>
>Yes, I found that is you don't make the char string static in the "message"
>parameter this happens.

I was a a windows-AP class and the instructor showwed that by typing in the
correct sequence at the keyboard you can also get a list of the developers,
testers, "Mom's and Dad's" that went into the product.  The sequence was a
complicated one, something *like* holding down the control, shift, and backspace
keys while you typed in the word "windows3".  I'm sorry I don't remember it,
but he said that this was published in an article in one of the magazines,
so it should be public knowledge.  Anybody know what it is?

--
----
thomas@ssd.kodak.com	Voice: 716/477-9379(w)		Fax: 716/722-5008

gandalf@abyss (gandalf) (06/19/91)

memetral@athena.mit.edu (Max E. Metral) writes:

> Wierd thing happened yesterday.
>
> Trying to pop us a MessageBox() from a dialog box.  Apparently my
> app was clobbering something.  As soon as the Mbox appeared, the root
> background was changed to a screen like this:
>
> WIN3
> developers:
> joes jimk sarahf ...
>
> usered:
> joes jimk sarahf...
>
> etc,etc
>
> Neat!  Anybody ever encountered this before?
>
> --==<Max Metral>==--

I've heard of this background before, but from a user standpoint, not a
programmer. Apparently, the same "undocumented feature" that a user can
access using a complicated set of clicks & types was what you accomplished
with your application's call under those circumstances.

  The  ____ (615)/754-0127            ____    _____
      ///\\\      |         |   |    /       /
     ///  \\\     |____     |___|   (____   (_____
    ///====\\\    |    |       /         )        )
   ///      \\\   |____|   ___/     ____/    ____/

schuster@seas.gwu.edu (Schuster) (06/25/91)

Hold down F3 and type win3. Release F3 and hit backspace. Voila!
Now, DPMI is complicated :-).
BTW, anyone else know any other hidden goodies, other than the
WinWord one?
schuster@seas.gwu.edu

sidney@borland.com (Sidney Markowitz) (06/26/91)

In article <3367@sparko.gwu.edu> schuster@seas.gwu.edu () writes:
>Hold down F3 and type win3. Release F3 and hit backspace. Voila!
>Now, DPMI is complicated :-).
>BTW, anyone else know any other hidden goodies, other than the
>WinWord one?

Well, the one in Turbo Pascal for Windows is pretty neat. But it just
slipped my mind and I'm not at a convenient machine to try out my
guesses right now. It's something like alt-I in the About box.

 -- sidney <sidney@borland.com>
   [Disclaimer - I hope that wasn't supposed to be secret :-)]