[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Restarting windows

jeroen_pluimers@f521.n281.z2.hippo.dfv.rwth-aachen.de (Jeroen Pluimers) (06/23/91)

* Crossposted in WINDOWS.MS
* Crossposted in WINDOWS.PROG

Hello All!

The Windows Set-Up programs can restart Windows after modifications have been
done. I'd like to incorporate this function into my program, but I can't find
any reference in the SDK or the TPW manuals.

Any hints are welcome.

    o _   _  _   _   _      internet: fthsmuld@rulgl.leidenuniv.nl
   / (_' |  (_) (_' | |     bitnet:   fthsmuld@hlerul52.bitnet
__/                         voicenet: +31-2522-11809

jeroen_pluimers@f521.n281.z2.hippo.dfv.rwth-aachen.de (Jeroen Pluimers) (06/26/91)

* Crossposted in TPWECHO
* Crossposted in WINDOWS.PROG
* Crossposted in WINDOWS.MS

Hello All!

Jeffrey Smartt (jeff@extro.ucc.zu.OZ.AU) replied on my question. He gave me the
following trick (Which has been added to my TPWECHO unit):

procedure RestartWindows;
begin
  ExitWindows($42,0);
  {magic value -^ ^- exist code (not used) }
end;

    o _   _  _   _   _      internet: fthsmuld@rulgl.leidenuniv.nl
   / (_' |  (_) (_' | |     bitnet:   fthsmuld@hlerul52.bitnet
__/                         voicenet: +31-2522-11809

jta@locus.com (JT Anderson) (06/27/91)

(Pardon me if this is a repeat.  I tried to send it once before, but don't
think it got out.  This may be FAQ material.)

In article <677708414@f521.n281.z2.fidonet.org> jeroen_pluimers@f521.n281.z2.hippo.dfv.rwth-aachen.de (Jeroen Pluimers) writes:

>The Windows Set-Up programs can restart Windows after modifications have been
>done. I'd like to incorporate this function into my program, but I can't find
>any reference in the SDK or the TPW manuals.

Try:
	ExitWindows(0L, 42);

I haven't tried this.  I have it on good authority that this is how setup
does it.  This is not documented.  Who knows if it will work in Windows
3.1.