[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Cannot read from device AUX

tim@cs.ruu.nl (Tim Dumas) (06/24/91)

  What kind of bug causes the system error box, Cannot read from device
  AUX, to appear? It comes up at arbitrary points in the execution of the
  msw program I'm developping and also in some programs I ftp'd from cica.

  If someone knows what's happening, please let me know by mail.

  Thanks in advance.

--  Tim Dumas                                                          --
--  Department of Computer Science  Padualaan 14                       --
--              Utrecht University  P.O. Box 80.089                    --
--           E-mail: tim@cs.ruu.nl  3508 TB  Utrecht, The Netherlands  --
--        Telephone: +31-30-534094  Telefax: +31-30-513791             --
--

bonneau@hyper.hyper.com (Paul Bonneau) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun24.122339.3944@cs.ruu.nl> tim@cs.ruu.nl (Tim Dumas) writes:

>  What kind of bug causes the system error box, Cannot read from device
>  AUX, to appear? It comes up at arbitrary points in the execution of the
>  msw program I'm developping and also in some programs I ftp'd from cica.
>
>  If someone knows what's happening, please let me know by mail.

Windows has detected an error (see Appendix C "Windows
Debugging Messages" in "Reference Volume 2"), and is
attempting to write debugging info to your com port (com1
I think by default).  This is commonly known as a "rip"
(for Rest In Peace perhaps :).  Installing a terminal on
your com port will both show you the message, and prevent
the dreaded MessageBox.

cheers - Paul Bonneau.

Thomas_Hornschuh@p1.f36.n245.z2.hippo.dfv.rwth-aachen.de (Thomas Hornschuh) (06/27/91)

TD>   What kind of bug causes the system error box, Cannot read from device
TD>   AUX, to appear? It comes up at arbitrary points in the execution of the
TD>   msw program I'm developping and also in some programs I ftp'd from cica.

Your are using the debugging of windows. This version reports errors to the aux
device and request for input to continue execution.
if there is no device that can provide input (e.g. a terminal) on your com-Port
the error box apeears.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun25.192820.5631@hyper.hyper.com> bonneau@hyper.UUCP (Paul Bonneau,,) writes:
>In article <1991Jun24.122339.3944@cs.ruu.nl> tim@cs.ruu.nl (Tim Dumas) writes:
>>

>>  What kind of bug causes the system error box, Cannot read from device
>>  AUX, to appear? It comes up at arbitrary points in the execution of the
>>  msw program I'm developping and also in some programs I ftp'd from cica.
>>
>>  If someone knows what's happening, please let me know by mail.
>>
>Windows has detected an error (see Appendix C "Windows
>Debugging Messages" in "Reference Volume 2"), and is
>attempting to write debugging info to your com port (com1
>I think by default).  This is commonly known as a "rip"
>(for Rest In Peace perhaps :).  Installing a terminal on
>your com port will both show you the message, and prevent
>the dreaded MessageBox.

Ans if you don't have a terminal, or the AUX port free to even hook one up,
there is a package called "winrip" that will route the messages to a secondary
monochrome monitor. There is also a driver "ox.sys" which will do this, but I
don't like it because it cannot provide the necessary input to continue once
it happens.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254