[comp.windows.ms.programmer] DOS 5.0 and Permanent Swapfile Problems

chris@stan.brandonu.ca (06/28/91)

I recently installed DOS 5.0 on my machine and now I am having some trouble.
I can't get windows to recognize my Permanenet Swap File!  I can run in 386
enhanced mode but I get no more memory than if I run in standard mode.  I
have tried all the diff. versions of Himem, Smartdrv and HyperDK without
success.  Anyone with suggestions

Help!

C.W. (Chris) Ross
Meyers Norris Penny & Co.
Chris@Stan.BrandonU.CA
Chris@TKM.BrandonU.CA
Chris@BrandonU.CA

fin_arc@IASTATE.EDU (Cowan Arnold R) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.111517.1@stan.brandonu.ca>, chris@stan.brandonu.ca
writes:
> I recently installed DOS 5.0 on my machine and now I am having some trouble.
> I can't get windows to recognize my Permanenet Swap File!

You do not say if you tried re-running swapfile.exe (remember you have to run it
in real mode) to delete your permanent swap file and create a new one.  I don't
know why DOS 5 would cause this problem but making a new swap file is a fairly
quick thing to try.  It has solved other problems for me in the past.

rob@pcad.UUCP (Ralph Brown) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.111517.1@stan.brandonu.ca>, chris@stan.brandonu.ca writes:
> I recently installed DOS 5.0 on my machine and now I am having some trouble.
> I can't get windows to recognize my Permanenet Swap File!  I can run in 386
> enhanced mode but I get no more memory than if I run in standard mode.  I
> have tried all the diff. versions of Himem, Smartdrv and HyperDK without
> success.  Anyone with suggestions

As a thought, if you have multiple disks with multiple primary partitions,
DOS 5 will change the drive letter from that assigned by DOS 3.3 -
for your convenience ;^> This wreaks havoc on your program manager
items, PIF's etc. It's possible that it may also virtually move the swapfile
from where windows thinks it is.

Try running swapfile again and perhaps turn on visiblity of hidden files
and look for the swapfile file on your partitions, it's probably there
somewhere.

Cheers,
Ralph