[comp.sys.amiga.multimedia] Access to Cable Company's Equipment

BYRNE@muppet.dnet.ge.com (01/30/91)

        I may be way out in left field here, but didn't I read somewhere that
the cable companies must allow public access to there equipment (according to
the FCC?)?  Thanks.

                        -FB

kerchen@fuji.ucdavis.edu (Paul Kerchen) (01/30/91)

In article <43097@nigel.ee.udel.edu> BYRNE@muppet.dnet.ge.com writes:

>        I may be way out in left field here, but didn't I read somewhere that
>the cable companies must allow public access to there equipment (according to
>the FCC?)?  Thanks.

Yes, but anything you produce with their equipment must

	1) be for non-profit uses, and
	2) aired on the local cable station.

Actually, it doesn`t *have* to be aired, but the point is that public access
television is not meant for commercial or private use.  So, yes, you are
guaranteed access to the stuff but it has to be used for producing a public
access program.  Here in Davis, you can use their equipment for private or
commercial uses but you must pay.

			    Paul Kerchen

kerchen@fuji.eecs.ucdavis.edu	- or -	kerchen@holly.eecs.ucdavis.edu

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/30/91)

BYRNE@muppet.dnet.ge.com writes:

-         I may be way out in left field here, but didn't I read
- somewhere that the cable companies must allow public access to there
- equipment (according to the FCC?)?  Thanks.

In a word, yes.  Not too many people know about this though.  The
equipment usually isn't very good, from what I hear, but it is usable.
Guess it all depends on the cable company.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (01/30/91)

In article <8261@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> kerchen@fuji.ucdavis.edu (Paul Kerchen) writes:
   In article <43097@nigel.ee.udel.edu> BYRNE@muppet.dnet.ge.com writes:

   >        I may be way out in left field here, but didn't I read somewhere that
   >the cable companies must allow public access to there equipment (according to
   >the FCC?)?  Thanks.

   Yes, but anything you produce with their equipment must

	   1) be for non-profit uses, and
	   2) aired on the local cable station.

   Actually, it doesn`t *have* to be aired, but the point is that public access
   television is not meant for commercial or private use.

Further, you may find that they require you to take a course (possibly
free) in the use of their equipment. Many of them have Amiga's for
video work (at least, that's what I hear).

The cable company I worked with (Newark, CA) did lessons, and had an
2000HD.  I prepared animated sequences at home, then played them back
on that machine, and recorded them on the stations 3/4" gear for our
shows.

	<mike
--
The handbrake penetrates your thigh.			Mike Meyer
A tear of petrol is in your eye.			mwm@pa.dec.com

mpogue@vis01.webo.dg.com (Mike Pogue) (01/31/91)

|>    Yes, but anything you produce with their equipment must
|>
|> 	   1) be for non-profit uses, and
|> 	   2) aired on the local cable station.
|>
|>    Actually, it doesn`t *have* to be aired, but the point is that public access
|>    television is not meant for commercial or private use.
|>
|> Further, you may find that they require you to take a course (possibly
|> free) in the use of their equipment. Many of them have Amiga's for
|> video work (at least, that's what I hear).

	This is the way it works here in Framingham, MA.  I took the course,
	which was basically "how to use the switcher and focus the cameras."

	Private stuff was not permitted, but everybody was encouraged to develop
	local programming for telecast over the local Framingham channel.

	The switcher was old, and not too reliable.  DId have two nice Sony
	professional cameras, though.  No Amigas, however.
	And no money to upgrade anything.

--
Mike Pogue
Data General Corp.		Speaking for myself, not my company....