[comp.sys.amiga.multimedia] Toaster server

simon@cuisun.unige.ch (Simon Gibbs) (01/29/91)

	Does anyone know if it's possible to write
a program which directly controls a Video Toaster,
ie, does the Toaster come with a documented interface or
a subroutine library which allow you to bypass NewTek's
user interface?

	For the application I have in mind, we would like
to use an Amiga and Toaster as a video effects server.
The parameters for an effect would be calculated on another
machine and then sent over Ethernet to a process running
on the Amiga and controlling the Toaster.

	Thanks for any help. I've seen NewTek's brochure
but it doesn't answer this question.

Simon Gibbs

Internet:	simon@cui.unige.ch
Bitnet:		gibbs@cgeuge51.bitnet
Usenet:		mcsun!chx400!cui!simon@uunet.uu.net
Simon Gibbs
Centre Universitaire d'Informatique
12 rue du Lac, Geneva 1207
SWITZERLAND
Tel:    +41 (22) 787.65.87		Fax:	+41 (22) 735.39.05
Telex:	423 801 UNI CH

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (01/31/91)

In article <4825@cuisun.unige.ch> simon@cuisun.unige.ch (Simon Gibbs) writes:

>	Does anyone know if it's possible to write
>a program which directly controls a Video Toaster,
>ie, does the Toaster come with a documented interface or
>a subroutine library which allow you to bypass NewTek's
>user interface?
>
>	For the application I have in mind, we would like
>to use an Amiga and Toaster as a video effects server.
>The parameters for an effect would be calculated on another
>machine and then sent over Ethernet to a process running
>on the Amiga and controlling the Toaster.
>
>	Thanks for any help. I've seen NewTek's brochure
>but it doesn't answer this question.
>
>Simon Gibbs

>Internet:	simon@cui.unige.ch
>Bitnet:		gibbs@cgeuge51.bitnet
>Usenet:		mcsun!chx400!cui!simon@uunet.uu.net
>Simon Gibbs
>Centre Universitaire d'Informatique
>12 rue du Lac, Geneva 1207
>SWITZERLAND
>Tel:    +41 (22) 787.65.87		Fax:	+41 (22) 735.39.05
>Telex:	423 801 UNI CH

We have done exactly that.  The "documented interface" for the Toaster is...
ARexx!  In fact, it comes with an ARexx script to allow you to control the
Toaster from a remote Amiga.  The trick is, do a "newshell aux:" first, and
then "rx remote.rexx" from the remote machine.  Then just type in commands
from the Toaster manual like "grid a46", "auto", "page 001", etc.

Although it is possible to send ARexx commands from an AmigaVision flow
running on the same machine, I would recommend using a second Amiga (say,
an A500) as a remote control machine.  Once the Switcher is up and running,
it doesn't leave other applications many time slices.  I ran some music in
the background and only got a very muddled rendition.  This would be perfect
for what you are doing, as the commands are coming from a remote machine
anyway.  I am not sure if the Ethernet driver will handle be able to keep up
the connection with the Switcher running.  You may have to run ethernet to one
machine, then run a serial cable to the Amiga with the Toaster in it.  I just
got an Ethernet card on my Amiga, so I will check this out.  This also means
that you could run a serail cable from ANY machine, making an Amiga/Toaster a
great external video effects box for a PC or Mac (but why?).  Shhh, don't tell!
Incidentally, the only way I have found to flip between the Switcher and
Workbench is under ARexx control ("tosw", and "towb").  Also, I have not been
able to flip back to any other screen except the Workbench screen.  It must be
actually doing something like closewb and openwb.

Using VoRecOne on a remote machine, we have been able to control the
Toaster under voice control.  The VoRecOne has done a lousy job of voice
recognition.  I am lucky to get 70% accuracy.  Many times it seems like I am
getting less than 20% correct hits.  How can it confuse words like "flyin"
and "tumble"?  Anyway... I have been able to get about 10 very distinct words
to be recognized reliably.  As long they are very different, like "attack"
and moo.
--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
I loved the peace and solitude | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.145430.14609@truevision.com> jerry@truevision.com (Jerry
Thompson) writes:
                               [...]
>Incidentally, the only way I have found to flip between the Switcher and
>Workbench is under ARexx control ("tosw", and "towb").  Also, I have not been
>able to flip back to any other screen except the Workbench screen. It must be
                               [...]
A friend showed me a key sequence that does it (which I promptly forgot).

Multitasking isn't officially supported as I understand it because the toaster
eats so much of the Amiga.  Evidently it works, though.  Just don't expect to
be able to do much.

The key sequence was something unusual like <ESC> <CTL> <CTL> <CTL>.  This is
not necessarilly the correct key sequence, but it is something like this.  The
same sequence popped us back into the switcher.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan31.145430.14609@truevision.com> jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) writes:
>This also means
>that you could run a serail cable from ANY machine, making an Amiga/Toaster a
>great external video effects box for a PC or Mac (but why?).Shhh, don't tell!

Just what NewTek was out to demonstrate at MacWorld.

>Incidentally, the only way I have found to flip between the Switcher and
>Workbench is under ARexx control ("tosw", and "towb").

To manually go back and forth between workbench and the Switcher, use
the following four key sequence: <CTL> <CTL> <ALT> <ALT>
This will toggle you back and forth.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%       `       '                Mark Thompson                          %
%  --==* RADIANT *==--           mark@westford.ccur.com                 %
%       ' Image `                ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark       %
%      Productions               (508)392-2480  (603)424-1829           %
%                                                                       %

jandreas@pro-graphics.cts.com (Jason Andreas) (02/03/91)

In version 0.90 of the toaster release, you get Nothing.  Although there is
the joystick interface for controlling it.  Maybe in the next release.
Another possibility is the GVP frame buffer.  It's supposed offer the same
effects as the toaster, except RGB in-out, not NTSC.

baronz@caen.engin.umich.edu (Aaron L Richards) (02/12/91)

Hello All,

	I am having difficulty maintaining a mouse interrupt on
a data form icon.  One of the first things that I do in my
flow is enable a mouse interrupt.  However, I really do not need
the mouse interrupt to be active untill I reach a Data Form icon.
I just put the mouse interrupt early in the flow for debugging
purposes.  Unfortunately, the data form seems to disable the mouse
interrupt.  The hit boxes and text that I define using the mouse
interrupt appear on my data form screen as I would like them to,
they just do not accept 'hits' when the data form is active.

	The interrupt is active up to the data form icon,
I verify this by hitting the hit boxes and getting a resounding
beep.  When the computer is executing the data form, the hit
boxes defined by the mouse interrupt still show up on the screen,
but they are no longer active, (they no longer beep when
hit orexecute the flow under the mouse interrupt.)

	What I am trying to do is use a Data Form icon to
build a "requester" that accepts the pathname, repetitions,
comments, and user defined names of an anim, still pix, sound, etc.
and I want the user to be able to pull up the ARP file requester
without exiting the "requester"-Data Form.  I need to store the
pathname, comments, etc. into a database.  The mouse interrupt
I expected, would allow me to hit a PATH button that I had defined
as a hit box in the mouse interrupt, and bring up the ARP file requester
using AREXX.  The AREXX code works well.  Its just that the
darned interrupt dies.  Any suggestions, bug fixes, or work arounds
deeply appreciated.
Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron L. Richards				University of Michigan
Aaron_L._Richards@ubmts.cc.umich.edu		Commodore-Amiga Stud Rep
baronz@caen.engin.umich.edu			Senior Computer Consultant
						Organizational Studies Lab
Day: (313) 763-4563
Eve: (313) 761-7871

--
*	President MACRO on Campus			  	    *
*       (Michigan's Amiga Computer Resource Organization)           *