[comp.sys.amiga.multimedia] MED or other modules in AmigaVision

ottmar@ajberl.UUCP (Ottmar Roehrig) (01/31/91)

>In article <FXLLw2w163w@kennels.actrix.gen.nz> sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) writes:
>hps@ws-hps.INEL.GOV (Randall M. Heaps) writes:
>
>> I am interested in using MED or SoundTracker modules in
>> AmigaVision... has anyone had experience with this?  Is there a way to
>> save or convert them to SMUS files or can they be used directly?
>> Any info would be appreciated.
>> Thanks, Randy Heaps (hps@inel.gov)

They can be used directly. But don't forget loading the instruments
with a preload-command!

Ottmar
=
AtelierRoehrig, Ottmar Roehrig, Hamburg, Germany
  UUCP: ...!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!ajberl!ottmar

  "42" (Deep Thought, some million years ago)

GIAMPAL@auvm.auvm.edu (02/01/91)

Well for those of you interested, I have written a program called
RxMed which uses the Medplayer.library to load and play Med modules
via ARexx.  This is perfect for use with AmigaVision (and I have used
it exactly for that, as most SMUS files sound like trash).

I have also recently obtained a Soundtracker shared library, and this
will allow me to add the capability too (although it isn't done at the
moment).

Interested parties send mail to :

    uunet!chopin!nick

NOTE: Use the above address, do NOT just reply to this mail, as it is
      a different address.

And I'll send you a version of it.

--dominic

prf@otter.hpl.hp.com (Paul Freeman) (02/01/91)

Well in theory the execute should work but I get a system error with
Med2.13 which is disappointing. I execute an AREXX script called
startmusic which triggers MED. My intention then is to stop the
music with another AREXX script called... stopmusic. Unfortunately
startmusic which works fine from the CLI blows up fairly spectacularly
from the execute command in Amigavision.

GIAMPAL@auvm.auvm.edu (02/02/91)

Well it turns out it only took a few minutes to add the SoundTracker
capability to RxMed, and now RxMed can play SoundTracker modules as
well via ARexx.

I've changed the name to RxTracker now (since that's what I wanted to
call it in the first place, but at the time it didn't play tracker modules).

Again, if anybody wants this (since posting it to the binaries or sources
groups wouldn't do much good), send mail to :

   uunet!chopin!nick     OR   chopin!nick@uunet.uu.net

--dominic

prf@otter.hpl.hp.com (Paul Freeman) (02/03/91)

Ottmar Roehrig writes on the subject of MED modules in Amigavision

>They can be used directly. But don't forget loading the instruments
>with a preload-command!

Unless he has a different version of Amigavision to mine (1.53G) I
dont quite see how. When I try to load a MED song Amigavision complains
that the song is not of SMUS format. Is there something which I am
missing here?

paulb@cbnewsk.att.com (paul.l.bidwell) (02/04/91)

Can someone tell me what MED does? Does it allow you to enter notes (from
sheet music for example) and play those notes back via the Amiga sound chip?

Paul Bidwell
email: p.l.bidwell@att.com

ottmar@ajberl.UUCP (Ottmar Roehrig) (02/06/91)

>In article <53390003@otter.hpl.hp.com> prf@otter.hpl.hp.com (Paul Freeman) writes:
>
>Ottmar Roehrig writes on the subject of MED modules in Amigavision
>>
>>They can be used directly. But don't forget loading the instruments
>>with a preload-command!
>
>Unless he has a different version of Amigavision to mine (1.53G) I
>dont quite see how. When I try to load a MED song Amigavision complains
>that the song is not of SMUS format. Is there something which I am
>missing here?

I was talking about SMUS-files, not the one from MED (BTW: What is it?)

Ottmar
=
AtelierRoehrig, Ottmar Roehrig, Hamburg, Germany
  UUCP: ...!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!ajberl!ottmar

  "Free your mind and your body will follow..."
     (Common sentence at Tekknozid-Parties)

hjalmar@cbmswe.UUCP (Peter Hjalmarsson) (02/11/91)

In article <53390005@otter.hpl.hp.com> prf@otter.hpl.hp.com (Paul Freeman) writes:

>Apologies for misconstruing your message otto.
>
>MED is an excellent pd music editing system which is Sound/NoiseTracker
>compatible.
>
>In its current incarnation it supports MIDI (up to 16 channels) as well
>as internal amiga sounds. The software has too many useful editing
>features to begin to list and much control over effects and dynamics.
>It is very reliable and is well documented. As yet I have seen few
>compositions which take advantage of its full capabilities. Soft-synth
>and lunawaves on /incoming/amiga - ab20.larc.nasa.gov give it a good
>run for its money.
>
>I got my copy on a cover disk with Amiga Computing magazine. The
>best $5 or so I have spent so far!

I know I got in on this one late but: Couldn't you play your MED song
with an external MED-player via the CLI-command from within Amigavision
(I thonk that was what started this)?

We do it that way to play Scala scipts (Really make Amigavision look good! :-)
and Real-3D animations (Since the $#%$# finns don't produce ANIM files :-(

Peter Hjalmarsson
Amiga Support
Commodore Sweden
...uunet!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmswe!hjalmar