[comp.sys.amiga.multimedia] Video Toaster in Europe

simon@cuisun.unige.ch (Simon Gibbs) (04/08/91)

I have a "European version" of the Amiga 2000
and a 1084S monitor. I'm trying to run a Video Toaster
on this system but it doesn't work.

I think the problem is that the toaster can't sync itself
because the European version is based on PAL
rather than NTSC (I do know that the Amiga wants
NTSC and will be using NTSC video sources).

Has anyone in Europe got a toaster working? What changes
to I need to make to the Amiga?

Thanks,
Simon Gibbs

Internet:	simon@cui.unige.CH
Bitnet:		gibbs@cgeuge51.BITNET
Usenet:		mcsun!chx400!cui!simon@uunet.UU.NET	(from North America)
Usenet:		chx400!cui!simon@mcsun.UUCP		(from Europe)
Simon Gibbs
Centre Universitaire d'Informatique
12 rue du Lac, Geneva 1207
SWITZERLAND
Tel:    +41 (22) 787.65.80		Fax:	+41 (22) 735.39.05
Telex:	423 801 UNI CH

blatter@gorgo.ifi.unizh.ch (Martin Blatter) (04/10/91)

In article <5357@cuisun.unige.ch> simon@cuisun.unige.ch (Simon Gibbs) writes:
>I have a "European version" of the Amiga 2000
>and a 1084S monitor. I'm trying to run a Video Toaster
>on this system but it doesn't work.

Here's how to convert your PAL Amiga 2000 into an NTSC Amiga for
use with the toaster:

This procedure voids you warranty so you probably want your
dealer or service center to do the modifications. Although
I did this with my A2000, I cannot guarantee that this will
work with your model/motherboard etc. In no way will I be
liable for any damage to your equipment...

1) If your A2000 only has TWO cinch connectors
   on the back (i.e. no Mono Video connector),
   you have an A2000A - this model cannot be
   upgraded. Sell it as fast as possible...

2) Type "avail" in a shell. The output of the first two
   lines should look like that:

   Type  Available    In-Use   Maximum   Largest
   chip    807472     232680   1040152    806568
                               ^^^^^^^
   This number tells you, how much CHIP memory
   your A2000 has.
   If "avail" reports another number (about half as much)
   for maximum chip memory, you have an older A2000.
   If 'Maximum' shows '1040152' skip to point 4).

3) It is possible to upgrade such an older A2000
   with a new Agnus chip. The new chip that handles
   both PAL and NTSC is called 8372A. (Your C= dealer
   should be able to get this new 'Super Fat Agnus' for
   you. Hovewer, you'll need a chip puller tool to swap
   the chips. To use 1 meg of chip memory, you'll have
   to change jumper J101 so that pins 2 and 3 are connected.

4) For NTSC, Jumper J102 (on the left side of the
   big square Agnus chip) has to be in a closed
   (i.e. connected) position, for PAL it has to be in an
   open position. Some Amigas don't have real
   jumpers but the trace is marked with a rectangle
   and "J102". You might want to install a switch
   to change between PAL and NTSC on the fly.

               Quartz (28.37516 MHz)
               ----   -----------
               |  |   |         |
               |  |   |  8372A  |
               |  |   |         |
               ----   |   Fat   |
                      |  Agnus  |
               O-O    |         |
               J102   -----------

There's no need for swapping the Quartz although
NTSC machines have a slightly higher clock rate.
The toaster does not rely on this clock cycle.

>Internet:	simon@cui.unige.CH

--Martin

--
Martin A. Blatter
blatter@ifi.unizh.ch

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/12/91)

blatter@gorgo.ifi.unizh.ch (Martin Blatter) writes:

> 4) For NTSC, Jumper J102 (on the left side of the
>    big square Agnus chip) has to be in a closed
>    (i.e. connected) position, for PAL it has to be in an
>    open position. Some Amigas don't have real
>    jumpers but the trace is marked with a rectangle
>    and "J102". You might want to install a switch
>    to change between PAL and NTSC on the fly.

I wouldn't suggest switching the switch with the power on however.
<grin>

> --
> Martin A. Blatter
> blatter@ifi.unizh.ch

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878