[comp.sys.amiga.multimedia] Voice recognition

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) (04/16/91)

In article <70843@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> vishart@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>A good though experimental piece of software is VoRecOne
>by Impulse, the people who wrote Turbo Silver and Imagine.
>I have one, use it fairly extensively, and am quite amazed
>by it.  I used it to demo a multimedia system I put together
>at work for some visiting dignitaries once.
>I had left it activated while I was conversing about the
>upcoming demo with my supervisor (alias boss).  He
>asked how to turn it on.  It overheard him, and proceeded
>to answer his question, and demonstrate the process
>as well.....:-)

I have this package also and it is a fairly impressive system.
It features an editor where you can assign scripts to spoken words
(including ARexx! ;))  and a little standalone utility which will
accept speech for working scripts.  The only thing missing, which
i would *really* like to see is C interface code or anything to
interface the library to one's own programs.  I also wonder if
there have been any upgrades since I bought my version of the
package (v1.0) back in 1989.  I tried calling the number for
Impulse and they were unable to help me.

Also I hear that Perfect Sound has an upgrade for v 3.0 which
includes voice recognition source code.  Does anyone have any
info on this?

Thanks very much,
Veenu
vrr@cbnewsj.att.com

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (04/17/91)

Veenu> In article <70843@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> vishart@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu
Veenu> writes:

Vishart> A good though experimental piece of software is VoRecOne by Impulse,
Vishart> the people who wrote Turbo Silver and Imagine.  I have one, use it
Vishart> fairly extensively, and am quite amazed by it.  I used it to demo a
Vishart> multimedia system I put together at work for some visiting
Vishart> dignitaries once.  I had left it activated while I was conversing
Vishart> about the upcoming demo with my supervisor (alias boss).  He asked
Vishart> how to turn it on.  It overheard him, and proceeded to answer his
Vishart> question, and demonstrate the process as well.....:-)

Veenu> I have this package also and it is a fairly impressive system.  It
Veenu> features an editor where you can assign scripts to spoken words
Veenu> (including ARexx! ;)) and a little standalone utility which will accept
Veenu> speech for working scripts.  The only thing missing, which i would
Veenu> *really* like to see is C interface code or anything to interface the
Veenu> library to one's own programs.

Can't you interface your programs to Arexx and connect up the two via Arexx?
I thought interfacing programs is what Arexx was for (amongst other things) so
that vendors don't have to come up with large numbers of interface routines
for the various languages (let see, there's C, Modula, Basic, Assembler, C++,
etc.).  True?
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"