[comp.sys.amiga.multimedia] CanDo 1.5 *IS* officially shipping!!!

wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu (BRIAN WRIGHT) (04/27/91)

In article <yorkw.672698213@stable.ecn.purdue.edu>, yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes...
>wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu (BRIAN WRIGHT) writes:
>
>>CanDo 1.5 is officially shipping.  I already have my copy.  I just got
>
>YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>(Bet i get mine last, because York is near the bottom of the shipping list..)
>
>Soo What's New in it? (Data Base ability?)

Well from the things I have seen them show me, the database utility is one of
the new features.  The Arrays they use are very nice.  Let me give and example
of the new arrays.  These are mostly from the manual, FYI.

Let name[1] = "Freddy McAdam"
Let name[2] = "Gilly Jones"

Another type array would be

Let name[1,1] = "Freddy McAdam"
Let name[1,2] = "Gilly Jones"

Or even another type

Let member[1].name = "Freddy McAdam"
Let member[1].name = "Gilly Jones"

Or yet even another type

Let member[1].name[1] = "Freddy McAdam"
Let member[1].name[2] = "Gilly Jones"
Let member[1].wifename[1] = "Betty Joe McAdam"
Let member[1].wifename[2] = "Wilma Sue Jones"

There are other various ways you can format them too.  Very nice and flexible.
These will definitely help with the database part.  There are sortarray and
searcharray commands as well.

As for Database commands, you have SetDBObject, SaveVariable, and LoadVariable.
If you were to save 'SaveVariable member' in the above example it would save
all the contents of that array no matter how complex.  You can also save
individual components of arrays too.

It allows for Multiple decks to be open within your deck.  So you can create
modularized file requestors, question fields, selection windows, etc and use
them over and over.  This means you can have mutiple windows.

You can set clipregions in your windows so your window borders don't get
trashed if you accidentally try to draw over the border.

You can left, right and center justify text.

You can now get the imagery from an Icon and use it, edit it or whatever.
It also supports 2.0's appwindow events (<-only if running under 2.0).

Documents support the FTXT IFF file type for text.

Floating point operations are supported:

SquareRoot, Log10, LogE, Exp, Sin, Cos, Tan, Asin, ACos, ATan, SinH, CosH,
and TanH.

Also RadToDeg, DegToRad, Whole, Fraction, and Real.

You have local variables (variables that are available to only the currently
running script), Static Variables (not eliminated at the end of the script, but
still only available to that script), and Global variables (Available
deckwide).

Of course, there are things I am leaving out, but these are some of the more
major of the new functions.  I think this is really an improvement over the
CanDo 1.02.  Definitely worth the wait and the upgrade fee.

>(My Amiga is away at home, awaiting me to return for the summer, Only 2
>finials to go!)
>
>--
>yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
>The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.
>(Hope THIS sig don't insult anyone!)   :^)

Special Disclaimer... I only develop for INOVAtronics.  I do not directly work
for them.  Please direct your 'Where is my upgrade?' 'How much is the upgrade?'
questions to INOVAtronics.  If you have technical questions about CanDo feel
free to ask, however (By email preferably).

*PS. I am cross posting this to comp.sys.amiga.multimedia.  Let's make all
*followups to this thread there.  I think that's where this should be or am I
*wrong about that?

Brian Wright
wright%etsuvax2@ricevm1.rice.edu   or   wright@etsuvax2.bitnet
Standard Disclaimer... not my words and all that jazz.