[comp.sys.amiga.multimedia] DCTV digitized frames

James_Hastings-Trew@tptbbs.UUCP (James Hastings-Trew) (06/09/91)

In a message dated Sat 08 Jun 91 05:11, Mikep@hpmwtd.hp.com (mike Powell)
wrote:

 MP> I still think the idea of supplying DCTV with CDTV is a great
 MP> one....  the quantity/quality/speed of that type of system
 MP> for things like 'full motion video' (whatever that is :-) would
 MP> be a BIG plus...  although I have yet to see DCTV anims made
 MP> from successive digitized video frames....

 MP> How well does DCTV do with such a task?

I tried it out with a laser disk of computer animation. I used the DCTV
software to grab each image as a non-interlaced, 3 bitplane image. In the
universe of DCTV, 3 bitplanes means that your colours are limited to 8
million or so instead of 16 million. On full motion image, the reduced
colour-set is invisible - it IS visible on stills or slowing moving images
with lots of large areas of graduated colour as banding.

Using standard Amiga anim tools I was able to produce about 5 seconds of full
motion, 30 frame per second video with a 200K size anim file. Mind you, all
normal ANIM rules apply - if there is too much difference between frames the
delta information can get to be larger than the actual frame information.
Still, it was neat to see this work on my A2500.

I believe that GVP demonstrated about 3 minutes of full-motion video from
Back To The Future III running from a hard-drive using the DCTV unit. DCTV
frames present dramatic compression of images, mainly by reducing image
information down to what would be visible on a standard NTSC composite
display. A single DCTV frame can be 70K compared to the 24 bit original file
which can easily be over 1 megabyte of information. I once created a DCTV
anim which contained 60 frames rendered in Imagine at 736*480 in 24 bit
colour. Each frame was 1.2 megs in size - which reduced down to about 70K.
The entire anim ended up at 500K - less than half the size of one of the
original frames. There is LOTS of potential here.

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (06/10/91)

James_Hastings-Trew@tptbbs.UUCP (James Hastings-Trew) writes:

> I believe that GVP demonstrated about 3 minutes of full-motion video from
> Back To The Future III running from a hard-drive using the DCTV unit. DCTV
> frames present dramatic compression of images, mainly by reducing image
> information down to what would be visible on a standard NTSC composite
> display. A single DCTV frame can be 70K compared to the 24 bit original file
> which can easily be over 1 megabyte of information. I once created a DCTV
> anim which contained 60 frames rendered in Imagine at 736*480 in 24 bit
> colour. Each frame was 1.2 megs in size - which reduced down to about 70K.
> The entire anim ended up at 500K - less than half the size of one of the
> original frames. There is LOTS of potential here.

Actually, the demo wasn't GVP.  It was done by IVS.  It was Back To
The Future III running from an IVS Grand Slam SCSI drive
controller and a Seagate ST2383N 1.2 Gigabyte drive connected to an
A3000 25mhz with 6 meg of ram.  The video was played back through the
DCTV in 3-bit color resolution in full overscan at 24 frames per
second (true full motion video is 30 fps) with a video bandwidth of
12.06 mbits/sec.

The audio was full 16-bit per channel digital with 44.1 or 48 Khz
samples and a bandwidth of 1.54 Mbits/sec.  The sound was 4 channel
surround sound and the total runing time of the piece was 4 minutes
and 30 seconds.

Quite an impressive demo I assure you.  You can easily see why it
would be benificial to the Amiga community for a crossover DCTV
product to be produced.  The image while moving was *very* good.  It
was difficult to tell it was actually playing off the computer and
not a laser disk.  The image was *much* better than standard VHS tape
as the actual resolution surpassed that of conventional VHS and of
course, the audio was digital.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (06/11/91)

	Damn!  I sure wish I had a chance to see that BTTFIII demo!
	The concept of a DCTV output only module for CDTV would be
	fantastic!  I don't have either of these units, but after
	talking to the DCTV folks about what their product did and
	how it accomplished it, I immediately came up with the
	CDTV/DCTV combo idea...  and it still seems like a sure-fire
	winner to me.  I just read in another message about a 'rumor'
	that says Commodore is looking into a DCTV output module
	for CDTV...  I sure hope so.  With the space available on each
	ROM, it seems to me like there would be enough room for TWO
	sets of graphics most applications...  one being normal CDTV
	output, and the other in DCTV format...  selectable by the
	user as an option.  Or better yet, to detect the module and
	automaticaly configure for it!   But since it isn't hanging
	off of a Zorro slot, there doesn't seem like it would be
	possible...

	CBM... are you listening????

	:-)    -Mike-

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (06/12/91)

> Damn!  I sure wish I had a chance to see that BTTFIII demo!
> The concept of a DCTV output only module for CDTV would be
> fantastic!  [...]
> I just read in another message about a 'rumor' that says
> Commodore is looking into a DCTV output module for CDTV...

Whoa :-).  First off, a custom demo running on a 25Mhz Amiga 3000 with
a 1-2M/sec hard disk might not apply to a 7Mhz CDTV with 150K/sec CDROM.

Secondly, the output module is rumored to be for viewing still shots
from Photo-CD discs.  OTOH, since P-CD isn't due until summer of '92,
perhaps they _do_ intend something for the gizmo before then.

> With the space available on each ROM, it seems to me like there would
> be enough room for TWO sets of graphics most applications...
> one being normal CDTV output, and the other in DCTV format...

Yes, that certainly would be possible.

best - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) (06/13/91)

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:

> a 1-2M/sec hard disk might not apply to a 7Mhz CDTV with 150K/sec CDROM.

        This isn't really refuting what you said, it's true, but I read
that the CDTV's CD-ROM drive has burst modes of up to FIVE megs a second!
Is this true? If so, you could have like a 3 or so second anim for
something like a text adventure or something for each place you went, in
full 24 bit color, with the DCTV outpput module. It would be AWESOME! If
this is not true, don't tell me. Just kidding, tell me no matter what...

                                David

Now the world has gone to bed,  MoonHawk@Bluemoon.uucp          ////|all
Darkness won't engulf my head,  moonhawk%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com //// |hail
I can see by infrared,                                     \\\\///__|the
How I hate the night.      Yeah, this IS an annoying SIG.   \\\\/   |miga

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (06/13/91)

moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) writes:

>        This isn't really refuting what you said, it's true, but I read
>that the CDTV's CD-ROM drive has burst modes of up to FIVE megs a second!
>Is this true? If so, you could have like a 3 or so second anim for
>something like a text adventure or something for each place you went, in
>full 24 bit color, with the DCTV outpput module. It would be AWESOME! If
>this is not true, don't tell me. Just kidding, tell me no matter what...

I've also seen a CDTV drive spec which has "2 megabytes (burst)" on it.

But as cdrom drives always read back at 75 sectors/sec (sectors approx 2K),
then the only thing I can think of for such an number to mean, could be
how fast two adjacent bytes might be available for a DMA read, at times.

In other words, no, I can't believe in a 5MB/sec rate sustained for more
than a few microseconds (unless the drive has a cache, and that's likely
to be too tiny to be of anim use).  best - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

Sidenote: I thought the DCTV makers only claim 4 million colors, which is
22 bits.  And a competitor's checking seems to show that the color changes
are limited per line,  and only apply to every other line (altho luminance
changes can occur on every line).  In any case, it's definitely not true
"24-bit output".  Probably better to just claim the total color range :-)

James_Hastings-Trew@tptbbs.UUCP (James Hastings-Trew) (06/15/91)

In a message dated Thu 13 Jun 91 09:07, Kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (kevi
wrote:

 K> Sidenote: I thought the DCTV makers only claim 4 million colors, which
 K> is
 K> 22 bits.  And a competitor's checking seems to show that the color
 K> changes
 K> are limited per line,  and only apply to every other line (altho
 K> luminance
 K> changes can occur on every line).  In any case, it's definitely not
 K> true
 K> "24-bit output".  Probably better to just claim the total color range
 K> :-)

Digital Creations does not like to quote resolutions and colours, as their
device outputs a composite video signal, no more, no less. The colours are
NOT "pixel" addressable. For a competitor to compare DCTV to a true frame
buffer or other "pixel mode" box is unfair - it is comparing apples and
oranges.

In practice, the luminance changes for each pixel displayed (within the
limits of composite video) but the chroma changes much more slowly. At a
guess I would say that the chroma is at 1/2 to 1/3 the resolution of the
luminance portion of the signal.

If you want to see this in action, take a black screen, and draw a RED filled
circle on the screen. You should see some MAJOR stairstepping taking place at
the edge of the object. Now put a GREY circle on the screen. No stairsteps.

The DCTV device can get away with this because this is actually a common
video situation - VHS tapes from most consumer VCRs are like this. With a
normal "picture" image the effect is invisible. For computer-generated
imagery, all it takes is some care in the image creation to avoid extreme
situations.

Taken for what it is, the DCTV unit is a great box. Don't take it for what it
isn't - a 24 bit display.