[comp.sys.amiga.multimedia] Video Toaster and ARexx

tcr@tcr.uucp (John B. Sobernheim) (06/11/91)

	Has anyone been able to do a "TOWB" from ARexx, leaving the
Toaster in a state that it will passthrough Amiga graphics to the
program output?  IE. in "Overlay Genlock" mode (like what you can
do by exiting the Toaster)?

	What I'd like to achieve is to use the "TOWB" command to bring
other Amiga graphics through to the Program bus.  Something like,

Switcher( TOWB ) /* Take me to Workbench */
AmigaVision( Present_this_now ) /* Call another Application via ARexx */
Switcher( TOSW ) /* Back to the Switcher */

Thanks for any help...
---
John, Sobernheim	The Computer Room, Denver
CIS 76625,1210		usenet tcr@tcr.UUCP || ...boulder!tcr!tcr

dingebre@imp.es.com (David Ingebretsen) (06/12/91)

In article <145@tcr.uucp>, tcr@tcr.uucp (John B. Sobernheim) writes:

> 	Has anyone been able to do a "TOWB" from ARexx, leaving the
> Toaster in a state that it will passthrough Amiga graphics to the
> program output?  IE. in "Overlay Genlock" mode (like what you can
> do by exiting the Toaster)?
>
> 	What I'd like to achieve is to use the "TOWB" command to bring
> other Amiga graphics through to the Program bus.  Something like,
>
> Switcher( TOWB ) /* Take me to Workbench */
> AmigaVision( Present_this_now ) /* Call another Application via ARexx */
> Switcher( TOSW ) /* Back to the Switcher */
>
> Thanks for any help...
> ---
> John, Sobernheim	The Computer Room, Denver
> CIS 76625,1210		usenet tcr@tcr.UUCP || ...boulder!tcr!tcr

I am curious as well so please post responses here

David

David Ingebretsen
Evans and Sutherland Computer Corporation
600 Komas Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
(801) 582-5847 x3758

dingebre@es.com

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (06/19/91)

In article <145@tcr.uucp> tcr@tcr.uucp (John B. Sobernheim) writes:

>	Has anyone been able to do a "TOWB" from ARexx, leaving the
>Toaster in a state that it will passthrough Amiga graphics to the
>program output?  IE. in "Overlay Genlock" mode (like what you can
>do by exiting the Toaster)?
>
>	What I'd like to achieve is to use the "TOWB" command to bring
>other Amiga graphics through to the Program bus.  Something like,
>
>Switcher( TOWB ) /* Take me to Workbench */
>AmigaVision( Present_this_now ) /* Call another Application via ARexx */
>Switcher( TOSW ) /* Back to the Switcher */
>
>Thanks for any help...
>---
>John, Sobernheim	The Computer Room, Denver
>CIS 76625,1210		usenet tcr@tcr.UUCP || ...boulder!tcr!tcr

Here's the scenario I came up with but haven't been able to try yet because
Walter is still hogging the Toaster!  Anyway... the problem seems to be that
the Switcher software will not switch back to anything except the WorkBench.
So, run a setprefs program to change the WorkBench preferences to a custom
file.  This custom WorkBench has all colors set to BLACK.  Then when you
switch back to the WorkBench, you have a BLACK screen genlocked on top of the
Toasters graphics.  The Toaster graphics will still be showing. Now you can
run another program which brings up a custom screen and, poof, you do a take
from the Toaster graphics to an Amiga application.  The tricky part is
creating a preference file with all colors set to black.

If anyone trys this, please let me know if it works.  Our local store is going
to let me mess around with their Toaster setups because Walter is still
hogging the Toaster!

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
I loved the peace and solitude | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and