[comp.sys.amiga.multimedia] Authoring Systems for Amiga

salter@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (John E Salter) (06/24/91)

I am interested in developing Interactive Multimedia systems
by using an authoring system. Is there a product like Hypercard
or Authorware for the Amiga?  It needs to be able to have complete
control of the graphics, video and audio.  Hopefully, a non-programmer
can develop a system using it.

<AUBRI@ASUACAD.BITNET> (06/24/91)

There are several authoring systems available for the Amiga.

    AmigaVision: Icon-based object oriented authoring.
                 No scripting.
                 Good for presentations.
         Can-Do: Button/Script-based authoring.
                 Actually creates complete run-time applications.
      HyperBook: Hyper-card like creation of "pages" assembled into a "book".
                 Has full AREXX port for unlimited scripting.
      ShowMaker: THE system for multimedia presentations. Complete control
                 over audio sync, video transitions (VideoToaster), and more.
     Foundation: Soon to be released...
                 Product demo looks very promising.
                 Said to work like HyperCard.
                 *Imports HyperCard stacks!!* (Add Amiga gfx/sound to stacks!)

Each authoring system has strengths and weaknesses. It all depends on your
priorities. Personally, I'm excited about the possibility of importing
HyperCard stacks into the Amiga for the addition of 4096 colors, animation, and
digital stereo sound! We have many many stacks here at ASU screaming for these
types of enhancements.

Feel free to ask any other questions!
---
|-----------------------------------?--------------------------------|
|  Brian C. Berg                     ?  "I haven't lost my mind...   |
|  Arizona State University Amiga Lab ?   it's backed up on tape     |
|  Amiga Student On-Campus Consultant  ?    somewhere!"              |
|  E-mail: aubri@asuacad.BITNET         ?                            |
|----------------------------------------?---------------------------|
| Opinions expressed are not necessarily unlike that of my own...    |

matija@amiga.ifi.unizh.ch (Matija Milostnik) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun24.004403.13909@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> salter@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (John E Salter) writes:
>I am interested in developing Interactive Multimedia systems
>by using an authoring system. Is there a product like Hypercard
>or Authorware for the Amiga?  It needs to be able to have complete
>control of the graphics, video and audio.  Hopefully, a non-programmer
>can develop a system using it.

Yes there are many Multimedia capable programms for the amiga.
The official one is AmigaVison, an authoring system that commes with
every new Amiga (like Hypercard on the mac).
Here a brief collection of programms and the date of first release:
 The Director (1986)
 Elan Performer, Deluxe Video (1987)
 Ultracard (1988)
 CanDo, Deluxe Video II (1989)
 AmigaVision (CBM), Hyperbook, Scala, Showmaker (1990)
 MediaShow (19991)
(Compiled by M.Blatter)

Bye
 Matija
| Q: What's the best way to catch a rabbit?             |
| A: Hide into a bush and mimic the voice of a carrot.  |

In article <91175.075746AUBRI@ASUACAD.BITNET> AUBRI@ASUACAD.BITNET writes:
>There are several authoring systems available for the Amiga.
>
>    AmigaVision: Icon-based object oriented authoring.
>                 No scripting.
>                 Good for presentations.

Please add:       Full ARexx support (so yes, scripting possible)
                  Good at interactive demos/educational things
                  dBase compatible database included

tcapener@watserv1.waterloo.edu (CAPENER TD - ENGLISH ) (06/26/91)

In article <91175.075746AUBRI@ASUACAD.BITNET>, <AUBRI@ASUACAD.BITNET> writes:
> There are several authoring systems available for the Amiga.

[original author's observations deleted]

AmigaVision
     (IMHO) not designed with text-based applications in mind at all.

CanDo
     (IMHO) potentially very powerful but has too many bugs to be reliable in
     serious applications (v. 1.2--I've been waiting for v. 1.5 for months now)

HyperBook
     (IMHO) the best of the lot so far.  Still leaves a lot to be desired.
     It seems to me the creators of Hyperbook wanted to do a HyperCard but
     didn't quite grasp exactly what made HyperCard such a good program.  The
     program nicely overcomes many of HyperCard's weaknesses, but lacks almost
     all of HyperCard's strengths (that it blurs the line between programmer
     and end user, its power to import and export, and the control it gives
     over the operating system).

>      Foundation: Soon to be released...
>                  Product demo looks very promising.
>                  Said to work like HyperCard.
>                  *Imports HyperCard stacks!!* (Add Amiga gfx/sound to stacks!)
>
> Feel free to ask any other questions!
> ---
> |-------------------------------------------------------------------|
> |  Brian C. Berg                       "I haven't lost my mind...   |
> |  Arizona State University Amiga Lab    it's backed up on tape     |
> |  Amiga Student On-Campus Consultant      somewhere!"              |
> |  E-mail: aubri@asuacad.BITNET                                     |
> |-------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | Opinions expressed are not necessarily unlike that of my own...    |
> |--------------------------------------------------------------------|

Foundation sounds like it could be what I'm looking for too (obviously
HyperCard on the Amiga).  Who is making it and how soon is soon?

Travis Capener

don@chopin.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun26.011946.216@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tcapener@watserv1.waterloo.edu (CAPENER TD - ENGLISH ) writes:
>CanDo
>     (IMHO) potentially very powerful but has too many bugs to be reliable in
>     serious applications (v. 1.2--I've been waiting for v. 1.5 for months now)

	 Have you sent in the form that came with 1.2 to get your upgrade?  I sent
mine in about 2 months ago and had 1.5 within  two weeks!
	 What bugs?  I never used 1.2 too extensively, but I never noticed any major
bugs in it... certainly it has limitations in certain areas; everything does;
but I've found it (esp. v 1.5) to be very powerful (although I'm not really
doing multimedia work with it... creating utilities, mostly).

>>      Foundation: Soon to be released...
>>                  Product demo looks very promising.
>>                  Said to work like HyperCard.
>>                  *Imports HyperCard stacks!!* (Add Amiga gfx/sound to stacks!)
>Foundation sounds like it could be what I'm looking for too (obviously
>HyperCard on the Amiga).  Who is making it and how soon is soon?

     According to the Summer AC's guide, it's published by Impulse & programmed
by Intuitive Tech... i.e. the UltraCard people.  UltraCard was trash and I. Tech
has a rather poor reputation, so I wouldn't go rushing out to buy Foundation
right away.  Of course, if Impulse is publishing it, it might be decent after
all.
	 I won't rewrite the entire entry from the Guide, but Impulse's address is:
	 Impulse, Inc.
     6870 Shingle Creek Parkway #112
	 Minneapolis, MN 55430
     (612)566-0221

	 Foundation lists for $250.

--
  Gibberish   May the        Publications Editor, AmigaNetwork
  is spoken   fork() be      Amiga Student On-Campus Consultant, U of D

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (06/26/91)

In article <1417@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

   In article <91175.075746AUBRI@ASUACAD.BITNET> AUBRI@ASUACAD.BITNET writes:
   >There are several authoring systems available for the Amiga.
   >
   >    AmigaVision: Icon-based object oriented authoring.

   Please add:       Full ARexx support (so yes, scripting possible)

Unless it's been significantly enhanced since I looked at it, calling
it "Full ARexx support" is really off base. "Barely Visible ARexx
Support" would be closer.

There's no ARexx support at all for composition; only when the
application is running.

There's no way for ARexx to directly control the application.  Most
specifically, you can't cause jumps to modules out of the flow of
control; you can't access any of the power of AmigaVision from inside
of ARexx; there's no easy way to export a database record. Nuts - all
you can do set variables in the application, and get variables back.
On yeah - you can get the version number of AmigaVision.

Not being able to get to all the functionality of AmigaVision is a
real pain. For instance, suppose I want to cause some image to be
displayed from an ARexx script launched from AV. AV has an incredible
amount of machinery for doing this kind of thing. None of it's
available to the Rexx script. So I either have to have my own
utilities to do this (which is bad, considering how memory-hungry AV
is to start with), or wire all the special cases into the AV
application.

	<mike
--
When all our dreams lay deformed and dead		Mike Meyer
We'll be two radioactive dancers			mwm@pa.dec.com