[comp.sys.amiga.multimedia] CDTV Motion Video

jt34@prism.gatech.EDU (THOMPSON,JOHN C) (06/07/91)

Does CDTV support full motion video? I was wondering if anyone knows of any
hard data supporting the need for full motion video vs. still pictures. Has
full motion video been proven to substantially enhance learning in
education with multimedia systems?
--
THOMPSON,JOHN C
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!jt34

ottmar@ajberl.UUCP (Ottmar Roehrig) (06/07/91)

>In article <1991Jun7.025704.21505@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tcapener@watserv1.waterloo.edu (CAPENER TD - ENGLISH ) writes:

[Talking about full-motion video out of CDTV)
>what I know.
>
>The C= rep said that right now decompression is done in software because
>the standard for compressed video in hardware has not yet been finalized.
>When it is, he said that C= will incorporate it.
>
>I was really impressed, anyway.  Not bad for a $1100 piece of equipment.
>
>Travis Capener

That's the same as I know.  BTW:  The "standard" mentioned is designed
by a group called MPEG (motion picture expert group) and is something
like JPEG for stills.  (in short :-)

Ottmar
=
AtelierRoehrig, Ottmar Roehrig, Hamburg, Germany
  UUCP: ...!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!ajberl!ottmar

"I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then,
 is a good thing..." Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

tcapener@watserv1.waterloo.edu (CAPENER TD - ENGLISH ) (06/07/91)

In article <30764@hydra.gatech.EDU>, jt34@prism.gatech.EDU (THOMPSON,JOHN C) writes:
> Does CDTV support full motion video? I was wondering if anyone knows of any
> hard data supporting the need for full motion video vs. still pictures. Has
> full motion video been proven to substantially enhance learning in
> education with multimedia systems?
> --
> THOMPSON,JOHN C
> Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
> uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!jt34
> Internet: jt34@prism.gatech.edu

I saw a CDTV demo doing full-motion video.  The CDTV can do full-motion
video in a third-of-a-screen sized window.  The video a series of HAM frames
stored in compressed format on the CD.  The C= rep said the CDTV could put
72 minutes of this video on one CD.  I'm also an Apple multimedia developer
and as of February, Apple was putting 24 minutes of video on a CD.

The video, while full-motion, did not run at 30 frames per second.  It was
more like 15.  It still looked really good.

Actually, to be fair (fair?  who said we had to be fair?)  Apple's 24 minutes
of video is full screen and at 30 frames per second.  Still, Apple's video
requires a multiple-thousands-of-dollars video board while Commodore's video
works on a stock CDTV.  I'm not making a value-judgement here, just telling
what I know.

The C= rep said that right now decompression is done in software because
the standard for compressed video in hardware has not yet been finalized.
When it is, he said that C= will incorporate it.

I was really impressed, anyway.  Not bad for a $1100 piece of equipment.

Travis Capener

In article <30764@hydra.gatech.EDU> jt34@prism.gatech.EDU (THOMPSON,JOHN C) writes:
>Does CDTV support full motion video? I was wondering if anyone knows of any
>hard data supporting the need for full motion video vs. still pictures. Has
>full motion video been proven to substantially enhance learning in
>education with multimedia systems?
>--
	The best I saw was quarter-screen HAM animation at
10-12fps. That is without any compression. Hopefully compression
will be in the future.
	-- Ethan

Now the world has gone to bed,		Now I lay me down to sleep,
Darkness won't engulf my head,		Try to count electric sheep,
I can see by infrared,			Sweet dream wishes you can keep,
How I hate the night.			How I hate the night.   -- Marvin

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (06/08/91)

	This brings up something that I think should be discussed a bit...

	What the hell is 'full motion video'??????!!!!!!

	Does that mean a FULL SCCREEN

	Does it mean VIDEO RESOLUTION/COLORS?

	Does a Dpaint III anim count?

	Does any format/resolution/palette count as long as it is
	digitized from a video source?

	What the heck is it?  What is 'Partial motion video'?

	.... jus' wondering :-)

	-Mike-

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.025704.21505@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tcapener@watserv1.waterloo.edu (CAPENER TD - ENGLISH ) writes:

>Actually, to be fair (fair?  who said we had to be fair?)  Apple's 24 minutes
>of video is full screen and at 30 frames per second.  Still, Apple's video
>requires a multiple-thousands-of-dollars video board while Commodore's video

This sounds like a demo of Apple's 8*24GC graphics accelerator board, which
is expensive but provides significant graphics performance.

What's more interesting is the recently-announced QuickTime, which provides
something more like what you described for the CDTV.  (Small-size display,
full-motion, 15 frames per second, more compression.)

Any Mac II with just the QuickTime software can play back these movies with
no extra hardware.  My understanding is that the QuickTime architecture does
support hardware accelerators, which are transparent to the application
software.  QuickTime also provides support for copy/paste of movies from one
app to another, still image compression (ie JPEG), among other things.

--
Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

lsr@apple.com
(or AppleLink: Rosenstein1)

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (06/08/91)

In article <ottmar.4130@ajberl.UUCP> ottmar@ajberl.UUCP (Ottmar Roehrig) writes:
>>In article <1991Jun7.025704.21505@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tcapener@watserv1.waterloo.edu (CAPENER TD - ENGLISH ) writes:
>>The C= rep said that right now decompression is done in software because
>>the standard for compressed video in hardware has not yet been finalized.
>>When it is, he said that C= will incorporate it.
>That's the same as I know.  BTW:  The "standard" mentioned is designed
>by a group called MPEG (motion picture expert group) and is something
>like JPEG for stills.  (in short :-)

You might want to look at the company UEC.  Rumor has it they're
doing the compression tech for CBM.

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Skate UNIX! (curb fault: skater dumped)

   --  If you're hacking PowerGloves and Amigas, drop me a line. --

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (06/08/91)

> What the hell is 'full motion video'??????!!!!!!

Many times it's a word like "multimedia".  In other words, it means
whatever the marketing guy is thinking about that day ;-).

> Does that mean a FULL SCREEN?

Yeah.  Just no one wants to type out "full screen, full motion".

> Does a Dpaint III anim count?

Umm.  _I_ wouldn't think so.  It might, if you meant fullscreen animation.

> Does it mean VIDEO RESOLUTION/COLORS?
> Does any format/resolution/palette count as long as it is
>  digitized from a video source?

Depends on whose machine it is, of course.  A Mac user might be talking
about B&W (or full color!), someone else might mean a limited set of
colors and/or no overscan, some might include interlace and so on.
But generically it means "as close to a normal TV picture as possible".

This usually indicates realtime decompression of predigitized video frames.
In the case of CDROM stuff, it all has to do with the fact that only about
150K/sec can come off the disc.  Divide that up and you can see that
serious (de)compression is needed to get a fullscreen at full speed.

> What is 'Partial motion video'?

Anything not full screen or at 30 frames/second.  Eg: displaying back
in a 1/4 screen area at 10fps.

> .... jus' wondering :-)

Don't worry... I'm sure you'll get several definitions (see first above :-).
Just priming the pump, myself.  cheers - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

ACPS1072@RYERSON <ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> (06/08/91)

>Actually, to be fair (fair?  who said we had to be fair?)  Apple's 24 minutes
>of video is full screen and at 30 frames per second.  Still, Apple's video
>requires a multiple-thousands-of-dollars video board while Commodore's video
>works on a stock CDTV.  I'm not making a value-judgement here, just telling
>what I know.

  Just out of pure wonderment...  How does the MAC play these 24 minutes
at thirty frames a second?  With my past experience with MAC CD-ROMs I got
the impression they were pretty slow.  Is this a new MAC CD-ROM?? or
Are these pictures loaded into memory or something first? or Are the pictures
black and white (or small bit planes)?  If not what??  Are the images
compressed somehow (by just saving the changes)  If so does the frame rate
fluctuate as the differences in the pictures increase and decrease?? and
finally, Do you get images tearing as they move across the screen?

Enquiring minds want to know.  :->

Derek Lang<<<<<    |
ACPS1072@Ryerson   |    "So much to do.  So little time."
Toronto, ON        |                             - Mr. X
Canada             |

jt34@prism.gatech.EDU (THOMPSON,JOHN C) (06/10/91)

In article <19750006@hpmwmat.HP.COM> mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) writes:
>	This brings up something that I think should be discussed a bit...
>	What the hell is 'full motion video'??????!!!!!!
>	Does that mean a FULL SCCREEN
>	Does it mean VIDEO RESOLUTION/COLORS?
>	Does a Dpaint III anim count?
>	Does any format/resolution/palette count as long as it is
>	digitized from a video source?
>	What the heck is it?  What is 'Partial motion video'?
>	.... jus' wondering :-)

To me full motion video means 30 fps true life color. I've been wondering if
anyone has ever documented the need for this capability in multimedia. Sure it
looks great on the screen but does it enhance learning, retention, or provide
some other significant benefit. What if it would cost a whole lot less to do
only 256 colors at 15 fps, would this change the impact of the message. Do we
need motion video at all? Still photos can display a lot of information at a
significantly lower cost. Sometimes we seem to push technology for the sake of
technology without really understanding if it brings anything new to the table.

Has anyone seem the Iterated Systems fractal based compression stuff. At Comdex
they were replaying full screen b&w video from a floppy. Amazing!

--

lindwall@beowulf.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) (06/11/91)

In article <31024@hydra.gatech.EDU> jt34@prism.gatech.EDU (THOMPSON,JOHN C) writes:
>What if it would cost a whole lot less to do
>only 256 colors at 15 fps, would this change the impact of the message. Do we
>need motion video at all?

I have no quantitative results on reduction of video quality vs "impact", but
for my Masters project at UCSD I helped implement a Video Filesystem server.
Beleive it or not, the server ran on a PC-Clone equipped with an audio/video
capture system made by a company called UVC.  The hardware was capable of
displaying ~ 640x480 pixels, with 8 bits per pixel.  The hardware performs
a simple run-length encoding to reduce each video frame to < 64K.  The audio
samples for each frame were tacked onto the end of the video frame (the audio
bandwidth was trivial compared to video, even sampling a 8 KHz).  The server
listened on a socket for requests from any number of clients -- currently we
have an "video editor" application running under OpenWindows on a Sparcstation.

The video sequences played back at a rate of 15 fps (the best we could attain
for this frame size -- basically full screen).  The hardware is capable of
30 fps, but you'd have to reduce the quality of the video (blocky pixels) or
reduce the viewable screen size (half screen).  Even at 15 fps it looked pretty
good.  It was a fun project -- I wonder how much better it could have been if
we had been Amiga based.  Commodore had been in touch with our group about
using A3000UX machines, but it fell through unfortunately.

--
John Lindwall			lindwall@cs.ucsd.edu
"Oh look at me! I'm all flooby! I'll be a son of a gun!" -- Flaming Carrot

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Art Warner) (06/11/91)

In article <13967@goofy.Apple.COM> lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
>In article <1991Jun7.025704.21505@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tcapener@watserv1.waterloo.edu (CAPENER TD - ENGLISH ) writes:
>>
>>Actually, to be fair (fair?  who said we had to be fair?)  Apple's 24 minutes
>>of video is full screen and at 30 frames per second.  Still, Apple's video
>>requires a multiple-thousands-of-dollars video board while Commodore's video
>
>This sounds like a demo of Apple's 8*24GC graphics accelerator board, which
>is expensive but provides significant graphics performance.
>
>What's more interesting is the recently-announced QuickTime, which provides
>something more like what you described for the CDTV.  (Small-size display,
>full-motion, 15 frames per second, more compression.)

Tell us about "Road Pizza"!

--
William "Art" Warner                 //\
CBM Amiga Student Rep.             \X/--\miga makes it happen..........

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Art Warner) (06/11/91)

In article <31024@hydra.gatech.EDU> jt34@prism.gatech.EDU (THOMPSON,JOHN C) writes:
>To me full motion video means 30 fps true life color. I've been wondering if
>anyone has ever documented the need for this capability in multimedia. Sure it
>looks great on the screen but does it enhance learning, retention, or provide
>some other significant benefit. What if it would cost a whole lot less to do
>only 256 colors at 15 fps, would this change the impact of the message. Do we
>need motion video at all? Still photos can display a lot of information at a
>significantly lower cost. Sometimes we seem to push technology for the sake of
>technology without really understanding if it brings anything new to the table.

Why don't you come over to my house and watch the NBA playoffs on a 12" b&w
tv while I feed you "framegrabbed" stills of the game every 30 seconds, while
I watch Jordon "stuff the basket" on my 25" COLOR TV at 30 frames/second
TV/monitor?

Does that answer you question?

>they were replaying full screen b&w video from a floppy. Amazing!
With DCTV, which C= says goes nicely into a CDTV, one can playback REALTIME
anim files in NTSC quality.  Full overscan!  Try that Mac!
I found single frames to be about 30-35k each.  Not bad for 24bit color data!
All of this is WITHOUT any compression other than the DCTV format itself.

Some of you may remember my POSTS from a while back asking if anyone thought
that it would be neat to add DCTV to a CDTV.  Well......CBM must have already
been thinking of this because my connections tell me that they have been seeing
CBM using DCTV's in their CDTVs's video slot.  (remember there is a video slot
in the DCTV!)  Apparently the CDrom transfer rate is good enough to transfer
DCTV format pictures realtime!
--
William "Art" Warner                 //\
CBM Amiga Student Rep.             \X/--\miga makes it happen..........
wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu          IBM, Apple, Sun, & Next make it expensive!

In article <13967@goofy.Apple.COM> lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
>In article <1991Jun7.025704.21505@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tcapener@watserv1.waterloo.edu (CAPENER TD - ENGLISH ) writes:

>>Actually, to be fair (fair?  who said we had to be fair?)  Apple's 24 minutes
>>of video is full screen and at 30 frames per second.

What's more important to the question is, from where does the image originate?

>This sounds like a demo of Apple's 8*24GC graphics accelerator board, which
>is expensive but provides significant graphics performance.

Yeah, that puppy's driven by an AMD 29K at 40MHz or some-such.  Not too shabby
at all.  You need something like that to get any kind of motion video on a
large 24 bit display.

>What's more interesting is the recently-announced QuickTime, which provides
>something more like what you described for the CDTV.  (Small-size display,
>full-motion, 15 frames per second, more compression.)

Normal Amigas can handle 30FPS no problem from memory.  A3000s can do a pretty
decent animation from hard disk.  The CDTV problem is that CDs have a terrible
bandwidth, like maybe 1/30th that of SCSI.  So you figure, all things being
equal, 30FPS from hard disk equates to 1FPS from CD.  That's not moving.  So
good compression is absolutely necessary to get anything moving from CD, even
in a window.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.

yamanaka@cv.sony.co.jp (Brian Yamanaka) (06/13/91)

In article <22384@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

|>>Actually, to be fair (fair?  who said we had to be fair?)  Apple's 24 minutes
|>>of video is full screen and at 30 frames per second.
|
|What's more important to the question is, from where does the image originate?

I missed the orginal message, but from the above I would hazard that
we are talking about Super Mac's Video compression board.  This thing
is rather expensive, but using JPEG decompression of movies from hard
disks.  A really nice product for digital movie editing, tho' fast
tranistions still show slow refresh.

|>What's more interesting is the recently-announced QuickTime, which provides
|>something more like what you described for the CDTV.  (Small-size display,
|>full-motion, 15 frames per second, more compression.)
|
|Normal Amigas can handle 30FPS no problem from memory.  A3000s can do a pretty
|decent animation from hard disk.  The CDTV problem is that CDs have a terrible
|bandwidth, like maybe 1/30th that of SCSI.  So you figure, all things being
|equal, 30FPS from hard disk equates to 1FPS from CD.  That's not moving.  So
|good compression is absolutely necessary to get anything moving from CD, even
|in a window.

The nice thing about QuickTime is that it incorperates real time
scalable compression and decompression to disks.  It even plays back
little movies in real time from CD-ROM.  The frame rate is something
like 10fps (on a IIci).  (I hope it was safe to mention this, since it was
announced at Seybold Digital World.  Don't want legal chasing my butt.)

The thing to stress is that the scheme they use is scalable to
hardware, both CPU and video display (256 or 16 million colors).  That
is something that Apple excels in, device independence.  Being an avid
Amiga user from a 1000->2000->2500/30->3000 and having been exposed to
Macintoshs I believe that the Amiga needs 24 bit color with device
independent graphics.

Of course that is what everyone is saying.  I hope that with the 3000
and its video slot/ZorroIII combination we can see this happen soon.
The third part solutions are nice, but there has to be some sort of
standard for any real software to get written.

|--
|Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
|   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
|	  "This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.

Of course the usual disclaimers apply.  I speak for myself and in no
way represent those of my employer.  So there!

  Brian YAMANAKA (aka The VISCA dude)    |"I knew I should have made that
  Sony Corporation, Personal Video Group | left turn at Albuquerque."
  Email: yamanaka@cv.sony.co.jp          |                      -Bugs Bunny
  Phone: +81-3-5488-6160                 |
    FAX: +81-3-5488-6469                 |Hawaii,Illinois,Japan...what's next?

tcapener@watserv1.waterloo.edu (CAPENER TD - ENGLISH ) (06/14/91)

In article <22384@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <13967@goofy.Apple.COM> lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
>>In article <1991Jun7.025704.21505@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tcapener@watserv1.waterloo.edu (CAPENER TD - ENGLISH ) writes:
>
>>>Actually, to be fair (fair?  who said we had to be fair?)  Apple's 24 minutes
>>>of video is full screen and at 30 frames per second.
>
>What's more important to the question is, from where does the image originate?

The presentation I saw at Apple did the video on a normal projection
television.  Somehow they were getting the video signal off of the CD-ROM,
through the Mac (IIfx) and onto an NTSC device.  The display was not on
the Mac screen at all.

However, I also saw similar video on the Mac screen in a HyperCard window.
This time, though, they were using some sort of card that takes a video
signal and patches it through onto a bit-plane of the Mac screen.

Mind you, all of this hardware cost megabucks.  The CDTV, on the other hand,
costs around $1000 (in Canada) which I'm sure is about a quarter of the
special video card for the Mac alone.

On the surface, the stuff Apple is doing is much more impressive than
Commodore.  When you realize that Apple does its stuff on a $10k system
and Commodore on a $1k system, the tables are turned.  Of course, someday
Apple hopes to have compressed video, too.  I hope by then Commodore is
either very well entrenched or has something new up its sleeve.

Travis Capener

yamanaka@cv.sony.co.jp (Brian Yamanaka) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.232219.10300@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tcapener@watserv1.waterloo.edu (CAPENER TD - ENGLISH ) writes:

|In article <22384@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

|>What's more important to the question is, from where does the image originate?
|
|The presentation I saw at Apple did the video on a normal projection
|television.  Somehow they were getting the video signal off of the CD-ROM,
|through the Mac (IIfx) and onto an NTSC device.  The display was not on
|the Mac screen at all.

The stuff on the projection screens were straight off the Mac display
24 bit display.  (There are such things as multiscan projection screens)

|However, I also saw similar video on the Mac screen in a HyperCard window.
|This time, though, they were using some sort of card that takes a video
|signal and patches it through onto a bit-plane of the Mac screen.

I don't think this is true.  The QuickTime XCMD's for Hypercard allow
you to playback compressed "movies" on any Mac II family computer
(including the LC).  I think this is the point most people are missing
with QuickTime.  QT is a new software architecture that integrates
into the Mac OS.  It provides for multi-media by combining compressed
video and sound into a single data stream and format.

Most importantly QuickTime provides the necessary timing support to
make sure that the video image and sound are synched.  It is even
possible to synch together two movies that were captured at different
frame rates.

THe really neat thing is that the software "scales" the playback rates
to deal with the kinds of hardware (CPU) in use.  That means slower
frame rates on slower Macs, but anyone can playback a file mad eon a
different Mac.

QuickTime is also an open architecture that allows for the addition of
more software decompressors and hardware ones as well.  Using these
"components" video boards from other manufacturers are given a single
interface that allows them to playback and capture video, making the
job for the programmer a lot easier.

|Mind you, all of this hardware cost megabucks.  The CDTV, on the other hand,
|costs around $1000 (in Canada) which I'm sure is about a quarter of the
|special video card for the Mac alone.
|
|On the surface, the stuff Apple is doing is much more impressive than
|Commodore.  When you realize that Apple does its stuff on a $10k system
|and Commodore on a $1k system, the tables are turned.  Of course, someday
|Apple hopes to have compressed video, too.  I hope by then Commodore is
|either very well entrenched or has something new up its sleeve.

Apple has always excelled in software creation.  Anyone who has used
the Mac can see that in the elegance of its interface.  Of course they
can't seem to get pre-emptive "multi-tasking" to work.  But they excel
in human interfacing and application program interfaces.

I think we can no longer say that Apple produces only expensive
systems.  QuickTime puts multi-media in the reach of many with the LC,
and Super Mac has unveiled a $500 video capture and playback board for
it.

Of course the Amiga still has many hardware advantages that a Mac
doesn't, so Commodore is not out of the game yet.  As I said in
another post, we just need better resolution and colors with greater
OS support.  That would really make the Amiga the best solution.

|Travis Capener

The usual disclaimers apply.  All comments are my own and in no way
reflect in anyway those of my employer.

  Brian YAMANAKA (aka The VISCA dude)    |"I knew I should have made that
  Sony Corporation, Personal Video Group | left turn at Albuquerque."
  Email: yamanaka@cv.sony.co.jp          |                      -Bugs Bunny
  Phone: +81-3-5488-6160                 |
    FAX: +81-3-5488-6469                 |Hawaii,Illinois,Japan...what's next?

jt34@prism.gatech.EDU (THOMPSON,JOHN C) (06/14/91)

Does Quicktime only display motion video at frame rates which has been loaded
into memory entirely before playback or is it fast enough to decompress data
from a disk on the fly?
--

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Art Warner) (06/15/91)

In article <22384@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>Yeah, that puppy's driven by an AMD 29K at 40MHz or some-such.  Not too shabby
>at all.  You need something like that to get any kind of motion video on a
>large 24 bit display.
>
>Normal Amigas can handle 30FPS no problem from memory.  A3000s can do a pretty
>decent animation from hard disk.  The CDTV problem is that CDs have a terrible
>bandwidth, like maybe 1/30th that of SCSI.  So you figure, all things being
>equal, 30FPS from hard disk equates to 1FPS from CD.  That's not moving.  So
>good compression is absolutely necessary to get anything moving from CD, even
>in a window.
>

>--
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.

What about a CD containing DCTV format files in a "compressed" anim format?
I did an animation in this format where full overscan NTSC quality video ran at
30 fps and each frame was less than 30k each, BEFORE any compression like MPEG,
JPEG, or filtering.

--

James_Hastings-Trew@tptbbs.UUCP (James Hastings-Trew) (06/15/91)

In a message dated Sat 15 Jun 91 01:46, Yamanaka@cv.sony.co.jp (brian Yaman
wrote:

 YY> Apple has always excelled in software creation.  Anyone who has used
 YY> the Mac can see that in the elegance of its interface.  Of course
 YY> they can't seem to get pre-emptive "multi-tasking" to work.  But they
 YY> excel in human interfacing and application program interfaces.

I disagree. While a GUI is great for beginner and casual users, the Mac's
total lack of scripting abilities and lack of multitasking really prevents
the machine from being a machine for serious work. Given the same task and
relatively equal harware capabilities, a multi-media creator working with
Amiga systems will always be able to produce a given project faster and
cheaper than a creator with a Macintosh. AmigaDOS scripts and Arexx give us
the edge to massage large amounts of data without a lot of time consuming
operator intervention. This gives the Amiga an undisputed competitive edge.

Quick Time sounds neat, but the hardware itself is lacking - no Mac I have
ever worked with can play sounds and access the hard-drive at the same time
without serious system performance degradation. Pray-tell how Quick Time
allows the simultaneous decompression of video frames, updates the display,
and plays back digitized sound at the same time on a machine that cannot move
the mouse and read the directory of a floppy at the same time? The assertion
that "any Mac can display compressed video" with Quick Time is bogus - only
the fastest, most pumped up, most accelerated machines have the ability to do
this with any credibility.

 YY> I think we can no longer say that Apple produces only expensive
 YY> systems.  QuickTime puts multi-media in the reach of many with the
 YY> LC, and Super Mac has unveiled a $500 video capture and playback board
 YY> for it.

*Ahem*. Who said the LC was inexpensive? Oh yeah... Apple did. Must be true!

 YY> Of course the Amiga still has many hardware advantages that a Mac
 YY> doesn't, so Commodore is not out of the game yet.  As I said in
 YY> another post, we just need better resolution and colors with greater
 YY> OS support.  That would really make the Amiga the best solution.

We already have good colour/resolution options on the Amiga - at great prices
too. The OS support is a red-herring issue. All application developers at
some time or other whine that "XYZ support should be built into the OS." This
seems to be the approach that Apple takes with their system software.
Examples:

TOPS provides for a distributed networking solution. Apple adds this to the
OS
MicroSloth Mail provides for network EMail. Apple adds EMail to the OS
Adobe Type Manager provides for superior type on screen. Apple adds this to
OS
Quick Keys provides for Mouse/Keyboard macros. Apple adds this to OS
Virtual provides virtual memory. Apple adds this to OS
Quark provides for Hot-Links with other apps. Apple adds this to OS

The list goes on and on. Apple seems to be intent on not allowing any
creative force in the Mac development community to keep any kind of
advantage. I wonder why developers are leaving the Mac in droves for Windows
and DOS? Maybe because IBM does not seem intent on stealing all their best
ideas.

What would Digital Creations think if Commodore suddenly created a similar
technology and incorporated that into the hardware/OS of the Amiga?

Why am I disgressing to this discussion of Apple's software policies
regarding their OS? Because I see things like video/audio formats and
solutions to be more of an APPLICATIONS problem, not a OS problem. Commodore
is there to sanction file formats (IFF, SMUS, etc.) so that we do not turn
into a wilderness of file format incompatibilities (how much development time
is wasted in each Mac appliation to make it compatible with TIFF, PICT,
PAINT, EPS, WORD, WRITE, etc. etc.) Let the free market decide which
video/audio/authoring solutions are the best.

yamanaka@cv.sony.co.jp (Brian Yamanaka) (06/17/91)

Quicktime decompresses from the CD-ROM or HD on the fly.  That is the
beauty of it.  Currently they use a proprietary compression scheme to
accomplish this, but the design of QuickTime allows for other methods
to be substituted as they becom available using modules.

In article <James_Hastings-Trew.3300@tptbbs.UUCP> James_Hastings-Trew@tptbbs.UUCP (James Hastings-Trew) writes:

>In a message dated Sat 15 Jun 91 01:46, Yamanaka@cv.sony.co.jp (brian Yaman
>wrote:
>
> YY> Apple has always excelled in software creation.  Anyone who has used
> YY> the Mac can see that in the elegance of its interface.  Of course
> YY> they can't seem to get pre-emptive "multi-tasking" to work.  But they
> YY> excel in human interfacing and application program interfaces.
>
>I disagree. While a GUI is great for beginner and casual users, the Mac's
>total lack of scripting abilities and lack of multitasking really prevents
>the machine from being a machine for serious work. Given the same task and
>relatively equal harware capabilities, a multi-media creator working with
>Amiga systems will always be able to produce a given project faster and
>cheaper than a creator with a Macintosh. AmigaDOS scripts and Arexx give us
>the edge to massage large amounts of data without a lot of time consuming
>operator intervention. This gives the Amiga an undisputed competitive edge.

The idea with the Mac is that the multi-media creator doesn't want to
worry about the scripting and learning AREXX to do serious work.  They
just want to do the creating.  I've used the Mac to meet a lot of
deadlines because it was easier on the Mac.  I'm not talking
programming here, because the average user doens't wnat to program.
They want a polished finished product.

I'd agree that I can process a lot more data on the Amiga with scripts
and AREXX (that's why I like UNIX), but I wouldn't say I could get the
data into presentable form for a business meeting.  And I wouldn't say
that AREXX and Amiga DOS scripts don't require user intervnetion.
There hasn't been a single DOS  script I've used that had to be modified
in some way to deal with a different hardware configuration or to deal
with some conflict in ASSIGN's.

>Quick Time sounds neat, but the hardware itself is lacking - no Mac I have
>ever worked with can play sounds and access the hard-drive at the same time
>without serious system performance degradation. Pray-tell how Quick Time
>allows the simultaneous decompression of video frames, updates the display,
>and plays back digitized sound at the same time on a machine that cannot move
>the mouse and read the directory of a floppy at the same time? The assertion
>that "any Mac can display compressed video" with Quick Time is bogus - only
>the fastest, most pumped up, most accelerated machines have the ability to do
>this with any credibility.

I didn't imply in any way that the Mac is superior in any way to an
Amiga in terms of processing power.  Geez, I work with one everyday
and am still wanting to be able to format a floppy while doing
something else.  But QuickTime did amaze me, more so because of my
experiences of how slow a Mac is.

> YY> I think we can no longer say that Apple produces only expensive
> YY> systems.  QuickTime puts multi-media in the reach of many with the
> YY> LC, and Super Mac has unveiled a $500 video capture and playback board
> YY> for it.
>
>*Ahem*. Who said the LC was inexpensive? Oh yeah... Apple did. Must be true!

An LC may not be as cheap as a comparable Amiga 500, yet they sold a
lot of them.  Look at the Classic, I would never consider buying one
over an Amiga, yet Apple couldn't keep up with the demand for this
unit.

> YY> Of course the Amiga still has many hardware advantages that a Mac
> YY> doesn't, so Commodore is not out of the game yet.  As I said in
> YY> another post, we just need better resolution and colors with greater
> YY> OS support.  That would really make the Amiga the best solution.
>
>We already have good colour/resolution options on the Amiga - at great prices
>too. The OS support is a red-herring issue. All application developers at
>some time or other whine that "XYZ support should be built into the OS." This
>seems to be the approach that Apple takes with their system software.

stuff deleted...

>The list goes on and on. Apple seems to be intent on not allowing any
>creative force in the Mac development community to keep any kind of
>advantage. I wonder why developers are leaving the Mac in droves for Windows
>and DOS? Maybe because IBM does not seem intent on stealing all their best
>ideas.

Could it be because there are only 6 million Macs compared to 30+
million PC compoatibles.  Most programmers I've talked to dislike the
MS Windows programming environment.  Of course it's a matter of taste.

>What would Digital Creations think if Commodore suddenly created a similar
>technology and incorporated that into the hardware/OS of the Amiga?

I think that stealing technology from another software writer would be
wrong, but should not inhibit the enhancement of the computer.  How can
other writers take advantage of something like outline fonts if he
can't depend on it always being supportted by the system software?  By
incorporating it into the OS the software writer can worry more about
what he does with the fonts than how to create them.

I don't want to start a flame war here.  I think that happens all too
much here.  It just seems to me that we can't all live in an Amiga
only world.  Everyone has to be aware of developments on the other
platforms and see how these ideas can help the Amiga.

>Why am I disgressing to this discussion of Apple's software policies
>regarding their OS? Because I see things like video/audio formats and
>solutions to be more of an APPLICATIONS problem, not a OS problem. Commodore
>is there to sanction file formats (IFF, SMUS, etc.) so that we do not turn
>into a wilderness of file format incompatibilities (how much development time
>is wasted in each Mac appliation to make it compatible with TIFF, PICT,
>PAINT, EPS, WORD, WRITE, etc. etc.) Let the free market decide which
>video/audio/authoring solutions are the best.

I'm not sure how the Mac handles data (still learning) but it provides
a service that appears similar to IFF through the scrapbook.  Even if
I have two word processors and one can't understand the others files,
if I cut and paste directly between the two, at least the text will
appear.  The formatting will have been lost, but the data is still
there.  I think this has to do with resources as text and formatting
are probably stored in different resource areas.  The app can just
deal witht he information it can handle.  Of course there is the
difference between PICT and PAINT, but that's because one deals with
structured drawings and the other with bitmaps.

Again I don't advocate that what Apple does is the only way or even
a better way.  Just that we need to be aware of what goes on in other
systems.  I have the oppurtunity to work on both platforms and can
honsetly say I prefer programming on the Amiga.  Multi-tasking,
message passing, etc. are things I think are indispensible, but these
features matter little to the general consumer.

Remember we are not living in a programmers only world.  If we want the
Amiga to continue growing we have to sell more Amigas and to do that
we need more software.  To get more software we need more tools and
support for the application writer.  I think that Commodore is heading
towards that, especially with the inclusion of AREXX in 2.0.  But we
have to keep an open mind and keep out eyes open.

Any further discussion should be moved to another area and I always
welcome e-mail.  Remember I don't want this to digress into another
Mac vs. Amiga flame war.  I've had enough of that stuff.

  Brian YAMANAKA (aka The VISCA dude)    |"I knew I should have made that
  Sony Corporation, Personal Video Group | left turn at Albuquerque."
  Email: yamanaka@cv.sony.co.jp          |                      -Bugs Bunny
  Phone: +81-3-5488-6160                 |
    FAX: +81-3-5488-6469                 |Hawaii,Illinois,Japan...what's next?

barber@jazz.concert.net (Scott Barber) (06/17/91)

(apologies for the slight digression from the focus of the newsgroup,
 but John Thompson raises a question worth pondering a bit...)

In article <1991Jun10.221045.28162@en.ecn.purdue.edu> wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Art Warner) writes:
>In article <31024@hydra.gatech.EDU> jt34@prism.gatech.EDU (THOMPSON,JOHN C) writes:
>>To me full motion video means 30 fps true life color. I've been wondering if
>>anyone has ever documented the need for this capability in multimedia. Sure it
>>looks great on the screen but does it enhance learning, retention, or provide
>>some other significant benefit. What if it would cost a whole lot less to do
>>only 256 colors at 15 fps, would this change the impact of the message. Do we
>>need motion video at all? Still photos can display a lot of information at a
>>significantly lower cost. Sometimes we seem to push technology for the sake of
>>technology without really understanding if it brings anything new to the table.
>
>Why don't you come over to my house and watch the NBA playoffs on a 12" b&w
>tv while I feed you "framegrabbed" stills of the game every 30 seconds, while
>I watch Jordon "stuff the basket" on my 25" COLOR TV at 30 frames/second
>TV/monitor?
>
>Does that answer you question?

Well, no, I don't think it did.  It is clear to me and, I'm sure, to
Mr. Thompson that watching Michael Jordan play in 30fps full color
video is more fun than watching a lower quality image.  I think his
question, though, has more to do with the effectiveness of getting
a substantive message across, which for many people is the main
justification for using this technology in the first place.

So, does someone learn something better when the image is sparkling
clean than they would if the picture was limited?  If someone pulls
some video off a CD-ROM during an interactive course, do they
understand the content of the video event better if the picture is
30fps than if it was 20fps? or 2/3 of the screen instead of full
screen?  The answer may indeed be yes, but there does exist the
possibility (heaven forbid!!) in many cases in which it may be no.
In any case, it is rarely as straightforward and clear as many
graphicphiles have come to believe.

If nothing else, the question is certainly worth asking, and an
adequate response to that question should address the overall issue
of the utility of the technology and it's effectiveness for getting
substantive content of a presentation across, as well as its
ability to keep the viewer's eye trained on an image.

Ultimately, it always boils down to the purchaser's decision as to
how important various features and abilities are to him/her.  The
wise purchase may involve a decision to spend more time on
researching the topic and creating content quality rather than
on making sure you keep on top of the latest technology for
image quality.

Actually, this is one of the reasons why the Amiga has become
so influential in video these days.  While it does NOT do
as good a job as more expensive systems, it provides a way to do
a decent enough job (for those of us who can't afford high-end
graphics workstations and megabuck video effects devices) to
get a message across!

Scott Barber

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Art Warner) (06/18/91)

In article <YAMANAKA.91Jun17091455@probe.cv.sony.co.jp> yamanaka@cv.sony.co.jp (Brian Yamanaka) writes:
>Quicktime decompresses from the CD-ROM or HD on the fly.  That is the
>beauty of it.  Currently they use a proprietary compression scheme to
>accomplish this, but the design of QuickTime allows for other methods
>to be substituted as they becom available using modules.

I am SORRY, but I don't consider a 160x120 pixel window running at one fps to be
"true" realtime decompression of "VIDEO MOTION".  I don't care how many bits of
color is in that tiny window.

SORRY MacFans.   (not real sorry though!)

amuser@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Bill Sharp-Smith AUG) (06/21/91)

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Art Warner) writes:

>I am SORRY, but I don't consider a 160x120 pixel window running at one fps to be
>"true" realtime decompression of "VIDEO MOTION".  I don't care how many bits of
>color is in that tiny window.

>SORRY MacFans.   (not real sorry though!)

I've seen a video demonstrating QuickTime, and the frame rate didn't seem any
less than television, and I think it was in 24 bits.

I've also seen a real live IIfx with a 24-bit video card playing live video
from a video disk in 24-bit colour. The frame rate was again, close to TV
in a window about half the screen size. I know it was not (necessarily) being
compressed/decompressed as it was coming from the video disk, but how else do
you get live video on a Mac screen ? It must have been at least	digitized,
then re-displayed. You can't just do a video-overlay like
the Amiga.

It was interesting though, that the frame rate slowed down
considerably when any kind of mirroring or colour adjustments were made
(on the fly). Also I was told that the fram rate would increase if a JPEG
(MPEG) chip was inserted.

Also, regarding QuickTime, I think one of its major concepts is that video
and pictures are just another data-type. So you can 'copy' a section of
compressed video from one program, paste it into your word-processor, find
the frame you want (using VCR-style controls) and then print that frame as a
picture in your document.

Regards,

Amiga Users Group of Western Australia

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (06/22/91)

From article <amuser.677479151@cutmcvax>, by amuser@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Bill Sharp-Smith AUG):
> I've also seen a real live IIfx with a 24-bit video card playing live video
> from a video disk in 24-bit colour. The frame rate was again, close to TV
> in a window about half the screen size. I know it was not (necessarily) being
> compressed/decompressed as it was coming from the video disk, but how else do
> you get live video on a Mac screen ? It must have been at least	digitized,
> then re-displayed. You can't just do a video-overlay like
> the Amiga.

Don't be so sure.  (I can't stand my mac, but I need it for 24bit work)

> It was interesting though, that the frame rate slowed down
> considerably when any kind of mirroring or colour adjustments were made
> (on the fly). Also I was told that the fram rate would increase if a JPEG
> (MPEG) chip was inserted.

I'm sure it would.  Then again, so would CDTV.  :)
--
Socrates:  "I drank WHAT????"
LMFAP:  "Next time you see me, it won't be me."

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Art Warner) (06/29/91)

In article <amuser.677479151@cutmcvax> amuser@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Bill Sharp-Smith AUG) writes:
>I've seen a video demonstrating QuickTime, and the frame rate didn't seem any
                                                                      ^^^^
>less than television, and I think it was in 24 bits.
                             ^^^^^
In other words, you weren't real sure of what you were seeing.

>I've also seen a real live IIfx with a 24-bit video card playing live video
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>from a video disk in 24-bit colour. The frame rate was again, close to TV
        ^^^^^^^^^^
>in a window about half the screen size. I know it was not (necessarily) being
>compressed/decompressed as it was coming from the video disk, but how else do
>you get live video on a Mac screen ? It must have been at least	digitized,
>then re-displayed. You can't just do a video-overlay like
>the Amiga.

The graphics chips on the dedicated 24bit video cards are usually MUCH more
powerful than a M68030 (TI 34020?) and is clocked much faster as well.

>It was interesting though, that the frame rate slowed down
>considerably when any kind of mirroring or colour adjustments were made
>(on the fly).
 -stuff deleted-

That "real live FX" that you spoke of was being 'helped' by some pretty
expensive video cards and laserdisk players.  QuickTime is a part of Mac OS
7.1.  It is SOFTWARE/STANDARDS that will be able to run on every MAC that has
that software in it.  Nowhere did Apple say hardware (laserdisk,24bit boards,
etc.).  I have seen/worked with QuickTime and can tell you that as soon as you
get larger than that small 180 pixel screen, "IT SLOWS DOWN CONSIDERABLY!".
There is nothing "close to TV" about it.  Even on an FX!

--
William "Art" Warner                 //\
CBM Amiga Student Rep.             \X/--\miga makes it happen..........
wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu          IBM, Apple, Sun, & Next make it expensive!

mspolin@dewey.lbl.gov (Mathew Spolin [summer intern]) (06/29/91)

Amigas are cool! (Right, `Art'?)

Bill Warner has made some great, important points about how just
generally BAD Quicktime for the mac is.  I've read your postings about
how its not "close to TV," how it needs "special hardware," and how, in
YOUR glorious opinion, it doesn't count as full motion video at all:
"I'm SORRY," as you said.

You're doing some great evangelizing for your computer, religion, etc...
but you may have missed the forest for the trees.  Computers are, after
all, only tools.

Do you believe that making a common data type for multimedia that
incorperates video, audio, and animation, insulating developers from the
hardware and software compression schemes, and making this a part of the
system software and thereby all programs that run on that platform is a
BAD idea?

Computers are going to get faster, and more capable to deal with
on-the-fly compression and decompression.  The way Quicktime was
designed, hardware and software advances such as this will not require a
new file and data structure to handle the improved media source.

Though Quicktime is a software standard, it offers important hooks to
hardware devices that lets developers support many different devices
(including some that haven't been created yet) without writing an extra
line of code.

Media formats that require specialized propreitary hardware such as
Intel's Digital Video Interactive are less capable in this respect.  Of
course, the Intel board does FANTASIC presentaion-level video at CD-ROM
data transfer rates, on a full 512 x 480 pixel full-color screen.

But remember: Amigas are cool!

What video compression/decompression options are there for the Amiga?
Im sure there are a number of them, I would just like to what what they
are and what capabilities they provide.

--Matt Spolin