[comp.windows.open-look] Login support from within openlook

karin@lia (Karin Meyer) (11/07/90)

We are interested in running an Xview application (requires olwm
presence)  in such a way that the user could either

	a) login and automatically enter the application.  Exiting
	   the application would exit windows.  Ideally they could not
	   invoke any other programs from the window manager menu.

	or preferably

	b) Have windows up and running on a workstation, log in to a
	   window, which then automatically brings up the application.
	   Exiting the application would place the user back at the
	   login state.

The only way I have managed to exit olwm without using the menu is by
explicitly killing it.  Is there any other way?  Xterm windows support
logins, and it would be nice not to bite the X start-up cost with each
login, as these workstations will be dedicated to the above-mentioned
application.   Does open windows support any such procedure?

Thanks,

	Karin Meyer
	Integrated Automation

	karin@lia.com 	or ....!fernwood!lia!karin

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov6.200631.2753@lia>, karin@lia (Karin Meyer) writes:

> We are interested in running an Xview application (requires olwm
> presence)  in such a way that the user could either
>
> 	a) login and automatically enter the application.  Exiting
> 	   the application would exit windows.  Ideally they could not
> 	   invoke any other programs from the window manager menu.
>
> 	or preferably
>
> 	b) Have windows up and running on a workstation, log in to a
> 	   window, which then automatically brings up the application.
> 	   Exiting the application would place the user back at the
> 	   login state.

Sounds like you might be interested in xdm, which is a display
manager for X.  Essentially, it is forces the user to login to
the system, and enter a password, just like on a character terminal.
Once the login is validated, it runs a session, which in your case,
would require running the window manager, and your application.
When the seesion is over, xdm will reset the server and allow a
new user to login.

Unfortunately, to exit the session you will need to kill the
window manager.  I do not know of a way to do this, other than
via a kill -9.

--

---
Greg Pasquariello

daniel@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Daniel Smith - "get off your duff and vote") (11/08/90)

> > > Karin Meyer wrote about "Login support from within openlook":
>
> 	a) login and automatically enter the application.  Exiting
> 	   the application would exit windows.  Ideally they could not
> 	   invoke any other programs from the window manager menu.

	Hmmm, have /etc/passwd call their .xinitrc, which sets up
their environment.  Change their openwindows menu file as well?

> 	b) Have windows up and running on a workstation, log in to a
> 	   window, which then automatically brings up the application.
> 	   Exiting the application would place the user back at the
> 	   login state.

	Sounds like xdm, except that comes with the MIT (and many other)
distributions.  Might be worth it to try it with OpenWindows, it does let
you specify which X server you're using.

				Daniel

--
.......Daniel Smith, Island Graphics, daniel@island.com dansmith@well.sf.ca.us
..(415)491 0765 x 250 (W) 4000 CivicCenterDrive SanRafael MarinCounty CA 94903

smarks@Eng.Sun.COM (Stuart Marks) (11/08/90)

grp@unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) writes:
| Unfortunately, to exit the session you will need to kill the
| window manager.  I do not know of a way to do this, other than
| via a kill -9.

You probably don't want to do a "kill -9" on the window manager.  This
will kill the window manager all right, but it won't restore things to a
reasonable state.  Among other things, the input focus will probably be
left in limbo, and window borders won't be restored.

Olwm will respond to SIGHUP, SIGINT, and SIGTERM by first restoring things
to be reasonable state and then exiting.  If you need to kill olwm, you
should use one of these signals instead.

You may not need to kill olwm at all, though.  You could set up the
default xdm session to have the session lifetime depend on your
application.  If you quit the application, the session will exit.  You
could also wire up an olwm root menu whose sole entry is "EXIT".  This
will limit the user's options to running the application or quitting,
which seems close to what you want.

s'marks

Stuart W. Marks			ARPA: smarks@eng.sun.com
Windows & Graphics Software	UUCP: sun!smarks
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

thp@relay.EU.net (Timothy H Panton.) (11/09/90)

>	Sounds like you might be interested in xdm,

>	Unfortunately, to exit the session you will need to kill the
>	window manager.  	---
> 	grp@Unify.Com

Well, no I dont think that is right, xdm folds up the session when its child
dies, so if you had a ~/.xsession like this:

#!/bin/csh
xclock &
olwm &
exec my_main_app

then when my_main_app ended, xdm (via the server ??) would send closedown
requests to both xclock and olwm.
As olwm is ICCCM compliant this should work.
Tim.
|Tim Panton, Westhawk Ltd.    "... avoiding vain and profane babblings."     |
|Phone: +44 928722574                              -1 Timothy 6:20.          |
|uucp : ..!mcvax!ukc!westhawk!thp                                            |
|Paper: Westhawk Ltd. 26 Rydal Grove, Helsby, Cheshire, WA6 OET. UK.         |