[comp.windows.open-look] Hosed xnews menus under Open Windows

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (11/08/90)

Has anyone seen xnews/openwin under SunOS 4.1 get into
a funky state wherein menus are no longer drawn correctly?

Clicking on the triangle-in-a-square menu do-hicky has no
visible effect until the mouse is moved down, then only
the rounded menu labels are drawn as the pointer reaches
them.

Regular openlook windows continue to work normally.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)
Martin Marietta Energy Systems

clh@tfic.bc.ca (Chris Hermansen) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov8.123120.20324@cs.utk.edu> Dave Sill <de5@ornl.gov> writes:
>Has anyone seen xnews/openwin under SunOS 4.1 get into
>a funky state wherein menus are no longer drawn correctly?

No, but I have two other funky states:

	window borders or decoration ('scuze me if my terminology sucks)
	get damaged in a session of FRONT/BACK and little parts go missing;

	sometimes when I click/drag on an icon/window, another icon/window
	moves as well (damn! if only I could get Twil*t Z*ne music in here)

[stuff deleted]

>Regular openlook windows continue to work normally.

ditto

>Any help would be appreciated.

ditto

Regards,

Chris Hermansen                         Timberline Forest Inventory Consultants
Voice: 1 604 733 0731                   302 - 958 West 8th Avenue
FAX:   1 604 733 0634                   Vancouver B.C. CANADA
clh@tfic.bc.ca                          V5Z 1E5

C'est ma facon de parler.

hsu@eng.umd.edu (Dave "bd" Hsu) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov9.024505.19308@tfic.bc.ca> clh@tacitus.UUCP (Chris Hermansen) writes:
>	sometimes when I click/drag on an icon/window, another icon/window
>	moves as well (damn! if only I could get Twil*t Z*ne music in here)

Sounds to me like you're using click-to-type input focus and have just
discovered that the middle-button is used to group windows.  This is a
feature.  Left-button is select.

-dave

--
Dave Hsu	 Systems Research Center, Building 115    (301) 405 6594
hsu@eng.umd.edu  The Maryversity of Uniland, College Park, MD 20742-3311

toone@Corp.Sun.COM (Nolan C. Toone) (11/09/90)

>	sometimes when I click/drag on an icon/window, another icon/window
>	moves as well (damn! if only I could get Twil*t Z*ne music in here)

This is actually a nice but seldom needed feature. If you select once
on an icon/window the border highlights. if you then move to another
icon/window and click the middle button that border ALSO highlights, you
can then move the icons/windows together. if you click the middle button
again it is then deselected and they move independly again.

(It took me sometime to figure this one out too. and I even use it
once in a while   :-) )

		Regards,

     /\
    \\ \	Nolan C. Toone, Catalyst Tech Support
   \ \\ /	Sun Microsystems
  / \/ / / 	MailStop PAL1-316
 / /   \//\ 	2550 Garcia Avenue
 \//\   / / 	Mountain View, California  94043
  / / /\ /
   / \\ \	Phone:  415-336-0391
    \ \\ 	EMail:	toone@Corp.Sun.Com
     \/

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (11/10/90)

Other followups to this message were referring to unrelated
problems...  It sounds like you are on a GX and you have run some other
program which directly accessed the framebuffer.  X11/NeWS is confused
about the state of the GX hardware registers since it assumes that it
will be the only one to leave state in the hardware.

This can happen by running SunView 1 applications when you do not have
the 4.1-GFX patch installed in your kernel.  It is this patch which
keeps the multiple hardware contexts of the xnews process and the
SunView/XGL/pixrect processes coherent.  Without this patch it is easy
to get the GX confused.  (This is fixed in 4.1.1).

If you are not using a GX with a non-4.1-GFX kernel... then my advice
is misguided.

-Patrick

In article <1990Nov8.123120.20324@cs.utk.edu>, de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) writes:
|> Has anyone seen xnews/openwin under SunOS 4.1 get into
|> a funky state wherein menus are no longer drawn correctly?
|>
|> Clicking on the triangle-in-a-square menu do-hicky has no
|> visible effect until the mouse is moved down, then only
|> the rounded menu labels are drawn as the pointer reaches
|> them.
|>
|> Regular openlook windows continue to work normally.
|>
|> Any help would be appreciated.
|>
|> --
|> Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)
|> Martin Marietta Energy Systems
|> Workstation Support

    Patrick J. Naughton				    ARPA: naughton@sun.com
    Windows and Graphics Group			    UUCP: ...!sun!naughton
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.			    AT&T: (415) 336 - 1080

smith%mito@endor.harvard.edu (Steven Smith) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov9.172649@wind.Eng.Sun.COM>, naughton@wind.eng.sun.com (Patrick Naughton) writes:
>Other followups to this message were referring to unrelated
>problems...  It sounds like you are on a GX and you have run some other
>program which directly accessed the framebuffer.  X11/NeWS is confused
>about the state of the GX hardware registers since it assumes that it
>will be the only one to leave state in the hardware.
>In article <1990Nov8.123120.20324@cs.utk.edu>, de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) writes:
>|> Has anyone seen xnews/openwin under SunOS 4.1 get into
>|> a funky state wherein menus are no longer drawn correctly?
>|>
>|> Clicking on the triangle-in-a-square menu do-hicky has no
>|> visible effect until the mouse is moved down, then only
>|> the rounded menu labels are drawn as the pointer reaches
>|> them.

I have seen this problem as well.  It is not dependent on GX equipped
machines, but does seem to be a problem with COLOR!  I have an application
which uses a CMS Canvas, and when the CMS is set, scrollbar menus
demonstrate this problem.  However, when I use a monochrome canvas,
all is well.  The problem also arises in the drawing of the scrollbars, as
they do not use the proper "background" color so that they blend in with the
frame.  If color is disabled, the problem does not occur.  If  setting the
depth of the canvas is delayed until after the scrollbars are created
(a no-no) all is well until a split view is performed, at which time the NEW
scrollbar, and scrollbar menu have the display problem.  Eventually, the
menu problem causes the program to crash (at least my program) after a few
splits, and joins.

I have a piece of code which demonstrates the problem, and I would be happy
to give it to anyone (from SUN?) who is interested.

Steve Smith
Harvard Genome Lab
smith@nucleus.harvard.edu

chrise@atc.boeing.com (11/12/90)

This thread originally started in the OpenLook mailing list, but since it is relevant to Epoch, I thought I would cross-mail it.  Someone in that list wrote in that when he selected one window via a left-mouse and then middle-moused on another window, both windows would move when he tried to move either:

And Nolan Toone from Sun wrote back:
>This is actually a nice but seldom needed feature.

I agree it is a nice feature, but I would use it more if grouping
windows allowed you to do more than move them. For example, I would
dearly love to be able to group windows (the Epoch minibuffer and an
Epoch screen, for example) and then open and close them as a single
unit, rather than individually.  Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,
Chris Esposito
(chrise@atc.boeing.com)

crl@sanctum.East.Sun.COM (Charles LaBrec) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov9.172649@wind.Eng.Sun.COM> naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) writes:

>   Other followups to this message were referring to unrelated
>   problems...  It sounds like you are on a GX and you have run some other
>   program which directly accessed the framebuffer.  X11/NeWS is confused
>   about the state of the GX hardware registers since it assumes that it
>   will be the only one to leave state in the hardware.

On 4.0.3, I've not seen many problems like this on a GX.  However, I
see it all the time on a bwtwo.  I believe it happens most often after
running a SunView application.  Often, the pane border (the thin black
line surrounding the tty subwindow) in shell/cmdtools disappears and
refuses to come back even with after a redisplay or close/open of the
window.  I don't believe that the GFX software changes this behavior,
but I'm not sure about this since some systems at my customer site
have it installed, and some don't.

--
Charles LaBrec
Sun Professional Services

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (11/13/90)

>>I wrote:
>
>   Other followups to this message were referring to unrelated
>   problems...  It sounds like you are on a GX and you have run some other
>   program which directly accessed the framebuffer.  X11/NeWS is confused
>   about the state of the GX hardware registers since it assumes that it
>   will be the only one to leave state in the hardware.

This was the problem the original poster was seeing.

|>>smith%mito@endor.harvard.edu (Steven Smith) writes:
|>
|> I have seen this problem as well.  It is not dependent on GX equipped
|> machines, but does seem to be a problem with COLOR!  I have an application
|> which uses a CMS Canvas, and when the CMS is set, scrollbar menus
|> demonstrate this problem.  However, when I use a monochrome canvas,
|> all is well.  The problem also arises in the drawing of the scrollbars, as
|> they do not use the proper "background" color so that they blend in with the
|> frame.  If color is disabled, the problem does not occur.  If  setting the
|> depth of the canvas is delayed until after the scrollbars are created
|> (a no-no) all is well until a split view is performed, at which time the NEW
|> scrollbar, and scrollbar menu have the display problem.  Eventually, the
|> menu problem causes the program to crash (at least my program) after a few
|> splits, and joins.
|>
|> I have a piece of code which demonstrates the problem, and I would be happy
|> to give it to anyone (from SUN?) who is interested.

This is an entirely different problem.  The menu always paints
correctly, it just has the wrong colors in its colormap, that is
because the canvas which owns the menu did not have its
CMS_CONTROL_COLORS set up properly.

|>>crl@sanctum.East.Sun.COM (Charles LaBrec) writes:
|> On 4.0.3, I've not seen many problems like this on a GX.  However, I
|> see it all the time on a bwtwo.  I believe it happens most often after
|> running a SunView application.  Often, the pane border (the thin black
|> line surrounding the tty subwindow) in shell/cmdtools disappears and
|> refuses to come back even with after a redisplay or close/open of the
|> window.  I don't believe that the GFX software changes this behavior,
|> but I'm not sure about this since some systems at my customer site
|> have it installed, and some don't.

This also is an entirely different problem.  X11 borders do not get
repainted on retained windows since there is no explicit way for the
client to paint in the border area.  It is up to the server to paint
the borders.  What happens here is the SunView application paints
garbage into the border area and that garbage gets copied into the
retained raster for the window and restored each time you say "Refresh
All".  The only way to tell the server to "really paint the border" is
to resize the window.

I hope this clears up *some* of the confusion...

-Patrick