[comp.windows.open-look] shelltool/cmdtool dumping core

roberts@studguppy.lanl.gov (Doug Roberts) (11/07/90)

Hi.

I just finished installing xview2.0 on a Solbourne 5/501 (running
SunOS 4.0.3 and MIT X11R4), and have encountered the following
problem:

I right moused in a cmdtool, selected the edit option, and then
tried to pin the edit menu. This caused the cmdtool/shelltool to core dump.
The message

"XView warning: Cannot load font '-sun-open look glyph-----*-180-*-*-*-*-*-*'
 (Font package)
XView error: Unable to fined OPEN LOOK glyph font (Panel package)"

appeared in the console.

I have _not_ installed OpenWindows, just Xview2.0.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
--Doug

Douglas Roberts                |The day-to-day travails of the
Los Alamos National Laboratory |IBM programmer are so amusing
Box 1663, MS F-609             |to most of us who are fortunate
Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545   |enough never to have been one --
(505)667-4569                  |like watching Charlie Chaplin
dzzr@lanl.gov                  |trying to cook a shoe.

asgard@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (J.R. Stoner) (11/12/90)

;
;I right moused in a cmdtool, selected the edit option, and then
;tried to pin the edit menu. This caused the cmdtool/shelltool to core dump.
;The message
;
;"XView warning: Cannot load font '-sun-open look glyph-----*-180-*-*-*-*-*-*'
; (Font package)
;XView error: Unable to fined OPEN LOOK glyph font (Panel package)"
;
;appeared in the console.
;I have _not_ installed OpenWindows, just Xview2.0.
;
;Any ideas on how to fix this?

What you have found is something I am rather shocked the MIT dudes have not
yet fixed.  The problem is in the .bdf file distributed with the MIT release(s).

The problem is in the whitespace character in the font name.  It seems that the
OLGx fonts and all New Century fonts have whitespace characters in the name
definition in the BDF file.  If you go to the source, change the appropriate
line in the file to something like '-' or '_', rerun bdftosnf, install into
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc (or whereever), then restart the server Xsun will not
barf on attempts to load the font.
--
J.R. (Use the Source, Luke) Stoner : asgard@zorch.sf-bay.org
"Dying is easy,

kasso@Eng.Sun.COM (Chris Kasso) (11/13/90)

  From:  asgard@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (J.R. Stoner)
  Date:  11 Nov 90 16:53:48 GMT

  What you have found is something I am rather shocked the MIT dudes have not
  yet fixed.  The problem is in the .bdf file distributed with the MIT release.

  The problem is in the whitespace character in the font name.  It seems that
  the OLGx fonts and all New Century fonts have whitespace characters in the
  name definition in the BDF file.

This is not a problem.  The 1.3 version of the XLFD spec requires whitespace
to separate words in the family name.  From sec 3.1.2.2...

``FAMILY_NAME is a string that identifies the range of ``family'' of typeface
designs that are all variations of one basic typographic style.  This must be
spelled out if full, with words separated by spaces as required...''

				   If you go to the source, change the appropr
  line in the file to something like '-' or '_', rerun bdftosnf, install into
  /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc (or whereever), then restart the server Xsun will not
  barf on attempts to load the font.

Adding ``-'' to the name will change the meaning since the spec defines
``-'' as field sperators.

Chris Kasso					Internet: kasso@Eng.Sun.COM
Windows and Graphics Software			uucp: {...}!sun!kasso
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

jim@ncd.com (Jim Fulton) (11/13/90)

> ;"XView warning: Cannot load font '-sun-open look glyph-----*-180-*-*-*-*-*-*'
> ; (Font package)
> ;XView error: Unable to fined OPEN LOOK glyph font (Panel package)"
> ;
>
> What you have found is something I am rather shocked the MIT dudes have not
> yet fixed.

What bug?  The font is simply not one of those donated to MIT.  There's
a 19pt, but not an 18pt:

% cd /x/fonts/bdf/misc/
% egrep '^FONT ' ol*.bdf
olcursor.bdf:FONT -Sun-OPEN LOOK cursor-----12-120-75-75-P-160-SunOLcursor-1
olgl10.bdf:FONT -Sun-OPEN LOOK glyph-----10-100-75-75-P-101-SunOLglyph-1
olgl12.bdf:FONT -Sun-OPEN LOOK glyph-----12-120-75-75-P-113-SunOLglyph-1
olgl14.bdf:FONT -Sun-OPEN LOOK glyph-----14-140-75-75-P-128-SunOLglyph-1
olgl19.bdf:FONT -Sun-OPEN LOOK glyph-----19-190-75-75-P-154-SunOLglyph-1

> The problem is in the whitespace character in the font name.

Why?  Whitespace characters are legal in font names.

If the '-sun-open look glyph-----*-180-*-*-*-*-*-*' can't be changed through
resources or other configuration information, an entry in a fonts.alias file
might work:

"-sun-open look glyph-----18-180-75-75-p-154-sunolglyph-1" "-sun-open look glyph-----19-190-75-75-p-154-sunolglyph-1"