[comp.windows.open-look] dbxtool under Openwindows 2.0

elvis@EE.MsState.Edu (presley) (11/13/90)

Does anyone know how to turn off the click-to-type mode, the
default for the dbxtool which is included with Openwindows 2.0?

Also, with the Sunview version of dbxtool, I could resize my
subwindows by using ctrl-middle_mouse on the subwindow borders.  The
openwindows version does not allow this, but it was an excellent
feature for those of us who like to customize everything we use!

--
Appearing again:
-John West-                        elvis@athena.ee.msstate.edu

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (11/13/90)

In article <ELVIS.90Nov12120156@sparky.EE.MsState.Edu> elvis@EE.MsState.Edu (presley) writes:

>   Does anyone know how to turn off the click-to-type mode, the
>   default for the dbxtool which is included with Openwindows 2.0?

This is a *Feachure*!

Alas, OpenLook only allows one "caret", or insertion point, per tool.
If you want to change the caret, you must click in the command window
or the source window. You cannot just move the mouse into the desired
window and type a command.

I miss this feature also. :-)

>   Also, with the Sunview version of dbxtool, I could resize my
>   subwindows by using ctrl-middle_mouse on the subwindow borders.  The
>   openwindows version does not allow this, but it was an excellent
>   feature for those of us who like to customize everything we use!

You can always use aliases/variables and add dbxtool buttons to do this.
There was an article on this in the Sun Observer ~6 months ago.

Here are some highlights:
	-	-	-	-	-
# put this is your .dbxinit file:
unmenu Point7
menu ignore Point7
alias Point7 "source ~/.dbxinit-pt7"
alias SmallFont "toolenv font 8x13bold"

	-	-	-	-	-
# here is the file ~/.dbxinit-pt7
# for big jobs and small print
#
toolenv srclines 34
toolenv cmdlines 30
toolenv displines 5
SmallFont

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

robbie@tivoli.UUCP (robbie) (11/14/90)

In article <BARNETT.90Nov12163335@grymoire.crd.ge.com> barnett@crdgw1.ge.com writes:
<In article <ELVIS.90Nov12120156@sparky.EE.MsState.Edu> elvis@EE.MsState.Edu (presley) writes:
<
<
<>   Does anyone know how to turn off the click-to-type mode, the
<>   default for the dbxtool which is included with Openwindows 2.0?
<
<This is a *Feachure*!
<
<Alas, OpenLook only allows one "caret", or insertion point, per tool.
<If you want to change the caret, you must click in the command window
<or the source window. You cannot just move the mouse into the desired
<window and type a command.
<
<I miss this feature also. :-)
I missed it too, try this in your .Xdefaults file. It should fix everybody up.

OpenWindows.SetInput: followmouse

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (11/14/90)

In article <192@tivoli.UUCP> robbie@tivoli.UUCP () writes:
|In article <BARNETT.90Nov12163335@grymoire.crd.ge.com> I write:
|>I miss this feature also. :-)
|I missed it too, try this in your .Xdefaults file. It should fix everybody up.
|
|OpenWindows.SetInput: followmouse

No.

I assumed the original poster knew about the followmouse property.

I am talking about the SunView feature that lets you have multiple
insertion carets, one for each textedit area.

In the SunView mailtool, there are two carets: One for the folder/filename,
and one in the text subwindow. When you move the mouse into the appropriate
area, the gray diamond becomes a black triangle.

In the SunView dbxtool, there are two text subwindows with two
insertion points. If you move the mouse into the subwindow, that window
shows the current insertion point.

OpenLook does not have this feature. Even with followmouse.

You must Click in each subwindow to specify *which* subwindow gets the
focus.  If I have followsmouse on, and click in the source window of
dbxtool, I lose the keyboard focus in the command window. I cannot
move the mouse into the command window and type a command. I must
click in the appropriate subwindow to specify which window is getting
the focus.

Net Result: I must click to type when using dbxtool even though I have
follows mouse enabled. If I try to type a command and the focus is in
the wrong window, I get an alert saying I am trying to modify a read
only window.

I reported this to Sun a while ago, and the person said this is in the
specification of OpenLook. Perhaps we can convince them it is a bug, because
normally the source window does not get a text insertion caret.

fgreco@fis1138.govt.shearson.com (Frank Greco) (11/14/90)

> Does anyone know how to turn off the click-to-type mode, the
> default for the dbxtool which is included with Openwindows 2.0?

	Its actually not the "default for the dbxtool"....
	but anyway here's how to change it.  Add the following
	to your .Xdefaults file (or whatever file you use):

	OpenWindows.SetInput:           followmouse

> Also, with the Sunview version of dbxtool, I could resize my
> subwindows by using ctrl-middle_mouse on the subwindow borders.  The
> openwindows version does not allow this, but it was an excellent
> feature for those of us who like to customize everything we use!

	Huh?  Of course you can resize the XView version of dbxtool!
	With the "select" mouse-button (usually set to the left mouse-button)
	grab one of the corners and drag.  If you're using olwm, you'll
	notice that when you're in the vicinity of a corner, the
	on-screen mouse-pointer will turn into a bulls-eye (well...ok...
	its a circle with a dot...)  indicating that you can drag
	and stretch.

	Frank G.

yaturner@Corp.Sun.COM (D'arc Angel) (11/14/90)

(subject thread on dbxtool omitted for brievity)

I think you've misunderstood the questions, followmouse will not fix the
problem with the focus change in dbxtool (which is the reason that I refuse
to use it, a user interface faux pas that bad is inexcusable).

changing the window size will change ALL of the subwindows equally, under
xdbx and xgdb you can change individual subwindows by shrinking their
neighbors
dbxtool, IMHO, needs to look at things like xgdb for some ideas on what
is a usable UI....

flames gratefully accepted

fgreco@dprg-330.govt.shearson.com (Frank Greco) (11/15/90)

Yes, I indeed did misunderstand the problem.  I agree dbxtool could learn a lot
from xgdb (although...honestly, there's even some stuff you can "borrow" from
MS's Codeview).

Sorry if I trivialized your question,

Frank G.

elvis@EE.MsState.Edu (presley) (11/15/90)

>	Huh?  Of course you can resize the XView version of dbxtool!

I hate to open my big mouth again, but I felt that I must say "I know
how resize corners work."

The ability I'm referring to is the ability to completely change the
layout/size of subwindows in the sunview dbxtool.  For instance, I
found that with a wide dbxtool frame, I could move the *display* subwindow
into a position such that it was a long, narrow strip which ran
vertically down the right side of the main dbxtool frame.  I found
this to be very nice.  I have also used a configuration in which I
placed the *commands* subwindow and the *display* subwindow into a
side-by-side position.

I appreciate everyone's suggestion about followmouse, but as Bruce
Barnett said, that alone will not work.

--
Appearing again:
-John West-                        elvis@athena.erc.msstate.edu