[comp.windows.open-look] "h": undefined variable error

dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) (11/15/90)

I am running OpenWindows 2.0 from Sun on assorted Sun3's and 4's
all running SunOS4.0.3.  Whenever I try to call up the mailtool I get
"h": undefined variable
in my console.  Not only that, but if a console is not present,
the message stays at the bottom of the screen forever (refresh doesn't
get rid of it.

Why am I getting this error message, and why can't I remove a message
that was suppose to be directed to the console?

Thanks.
--

                  Don Cox
Phone (716) 253-7121      KMX (716) 253-7998

jmck@norge.Eng.Sun.COM (John McKernan) (11/15/90)

dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) writes:
> Whenever I try to call up the mailtool I get
>"h": undefined variable in my console.

Try typing the following at your shell prompt "echo $h". You'll see the
same error message (unless "h" is actually set to something). I would
guess that a dot file somewhere is incorrect (ie .cshrc, .mailrc,
.mailtool-init, .textswrc, .who-knows).

John McKernan.
Windows and Graphics Software, Sun Microsystems.                  jmck@sun.com

<
<Try typing the following at your shell prompt "echo $h". You'll see the
<same error message (unless "h" is actually set to something). I would
<guess that a dot file somewhere is incorrect (ie .cshrc, .mailrc,
<.mailtool-init, .textswrc, .who-knows).
<

Good guess ... it was the .mailrc file.  I had a line defined as
set h=No

This has been there since day one and worked fine with suntools.  Now all
I have to do is figure out how this line was created, since it is in just
about everyone's .mailrc file.  I checked the man pages for mail and
couldn't find any reference of it (I found set hold and set header, but
not set h).  Could this possibly be something that is a left-over from
my Sun OS3.x days and didn't get included when Sun went to OS4.x?

Thanks for the help.