[comp.windows.open-look] Using Deskset clients on a native MIT X server

frans@phcisa.UUCP (Francois Staes) (11/14/90)

I'm trying to use the Deskset clients of Sun on a native MIT X server.

Almost all of them work fine, but some of them complain about fonts.

For example, cm (Calendar Manager) complains that it can't open the font
'-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-90-*-*-*-*-*-*'.

Apparantly, this is because it insists on using fonts with the right resolution,
(I'm using a Sparcstation 1 using a B&W screen, the resolution is thus 90)
since this font name does exist also in the MIT font directories but only
at resolutions 75dpi and 100dpi.

One cannot simply use the fonts as supplied by sun with the OpenWindows
system since they use the outline fonts instead of bitmap ones.

Does anybody has a solution for this problem ?

Thanks,

Francois Staes
Origin/Middleware
Eindhoven, The Netherlands.

tilman@netcom.UUCP (Tilman Spokert) (11/16/90)

In article <1249@phcisa.UUCP> frans@phcisa.UUCP (Francois Staes) writes:
>I'm trying to use the Deskset clients of Sun on a native MIT X server.
>
>Almost all of them work fine, but some of them complain about fonts.
>
>For example, cm (Calendar Manager) complains that it can't open the font
>'-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-90-*-*-*-*-*-*'.
>
>Apparantly, this is because it insists on using fonts with the right resolution,
>(I'm using a Sparcstation 1 using a B&W screen, the resolution is thus 90)
>since this font name does exist also in the MIT font directories but only
>at resolutions 75dpi and 100dpi.
Well, I guess you are mixing things up a little bit here. The 90 has nothing
to do with 75dpi or 100dpi. But anyway, that is not the point. What I did
to get the cm to work with plain MIT X, was to find the closest matching font
(I used the ...-80-...), and made an alias for the -90- font pointing
to the -80- font. You need to do that for the bold one, too, in fonts.alias
in the 75dpi and 100dpi font directories, run "mkfontdir", do an "xset fp
rehash" to pick it up, and you are in business. The only problem I encountered
was that the bold day numbers in the month view mode seem to be cut off at the
bottom by a few pixels. No big deal.

>One cannot simply use the fonts as supplied by sun with the OpenWindows
>system since they use the outline fonts instead of bitmap ones.

Someone once explained to me how you can convert them. There is some utility
somewhere that help you with that.

--
Tilman Sporkert, apple!netcom!tilman or tilman@netcom.uucp
          - I don't need a Nintendo. I got a SparcStation... -

devil@techunix.BITNET (Gil Tene) (11/17/90)

In article <16890@netcom.UUCP> tilman@netcom.UUCP (Tilman Spokert) writes:
>In article <1249@phcisa.UUCP> frans@phcisa.UUCP (Francois Staes) writes:
>>
>>One cannot simply use the fonts as supplied by sun with the OpenWindows
>>system since they use the outline fonts instead of bitmap ones.
>>
>Someone once explained to me how you can convert them. There is some utility
>somewhere that help you with that.

Do a "man covertfont" on a sun system running openwindows, this
should take care of any neede font coversions...

-- Gil.
| Gil Tene                      "Some days it just doesn't pay     |
| devil@techunix.technion.ac.il   to go to sleep in the morning."  |