[comp.windows.open-look] Framemaker and olwm

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (11/16/90)

We are running Framemaker 2.1X here under Openwindows 2.0. (On various
flavors of SunOS 4.X).

Is there any way to get a title bar above the dialog pop-ups so I can get
at the window menu to dismiss the dialog?  Right now the blasted dialogs
are undecorated, and cannot be dismissed once brought up.  (I have managed
to iconify them!!)

--
---------------
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (11/20/90)

[Due to down time, I am not sure that the original of this got out]

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (11/20/90)

In article <64@tdatirv.UUCP>, sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:
> We are running Framemaker 2.1X here under Openwindows 2.0. (On various
> flavors of SunOS 4.X).
>
> Is there any way to get a title bar above the dialog pop-ups so I can get
> at the window menu to dismiss the dialog?  Right now the blasted dialogs
> are undecorated, and cannot be dismissed once brought up.  (I have managed
> to iconify them!!)

     Typing Control-C in a dialog will make it go away.  This is my biggest
complaint about Frame 2.1X: it demands that you run Motif to achieve full
functionality.  There will be an OL version (thank God!) but not until
sometime next year.

--

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck

A good newspaper is never good enough,
	but a lousy newspaper is a joy forever.		-- Garrison Keillor

pjb@frame.com (Paul Bailey) (11/21/90)

In article <64@tdatirv.UUCP>, sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:
> We are running Framemaker 2.1X here under Openwindows 2.0. (On various
> flavors of SunOS 4.X).
>
> Is there any way to get a title bar above the dialog pop-ups so I can get
> at the window menu to dismiss the dialog?  Right now the blasted dialogs
> are undecorated, and cannot be dismissed once brought up.  (I have managed
> to iconify them!!)

I don't know of any resource that you can set on olwm to get a title bar,
but there is a way to dismiss the dialogs.  In any FrameMaker document
window, ctrl-x ctrl-c will close the window.  In any FrameMaker dialog,
ctrl-c will close the window.  (the Help and Math palettes are actually
documents even though they look like dialogs).

Paul J. Bailey                  Manager, X Projects
Frame Technology Corp.          1010 Rincon Circle, San Jose, Ca. 95131
Domain: pjb@frame.com           (408) 922-2778
UUCP: {ames,adobe,hplabs,riacs,sun,vsi1}!frame!pjb

smarks@Eng.Sun.COM (Stuart Marks) (11/21/90)

| From: sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen)
| Subject: Framemaker and olwm
|
| We are running Framemaker 2.1X here under Openwindows 2.0. (On various
| flavors of SunOS 4.X).
|
| Is there any way to get a title bar above the dialog pop-ups so I can get
| at the window menu to dismiss the dialog?  Right now the blasted dialogs
| are undecorated, and cannot be dismissed once brought up.  (I have managed
| to iconify them!!)

No, you can't get a title bar, but you can dismiss them (although it's not
obvious).  You can dismiss a Framemaker popup by setting the focus to the
popup and typing ^C.

s'marks

Stuart W. Marks			ARPA: smarks@eng.sun.com
Windows & Graphics Software	UUCP: sun!smarks
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

db@sunbim.be (Danny Backx) (11/21/90)

Chuck Musciano writes :
>      Typing Control-C in a dialog will make it go away.  This is my biggest
> complaint about Frame 2.1X: it demands that you run Motif to achieve full
> functionality.  There will be an OL version (thank God!) but not until
> sometime next year.
About the full motif. I would have agreed with you a week ago. Then I also
discovered the Control-C dissapearance act of the Frame Dialog windows. It
seems like they put in enough keyboard shortcuts so that you actually CAN do
things without the window manager's border.

2nd point : I heard a rumour that the OL version of frame would be NeWS-based.
(i.e. not X-based) I don't know whether this is true...

	Danny Backx
	BIM Networks System Engineer

E-Mail: db@sunbim.be    (or uunet!mcsun!ub4b!sunbim!db)

Telephone: +32(2)759.59.25	Fax : +32(2)759.47.95

Postal Mail :
	Danny Backx
	BIM
	Kwikstraat 4
	3078 Everberg
	Belgium

marco@westc.uucp (Marco Nijdam) (11/21/90)

In article <64@tdatirv.UUCP>, sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:
> We are running Framemaker 2.1X here under Openwindows 2.0. (On various
> flavors of SunOS 4.X).
>
> Is there any way to get a title bar above the dialog pop-ups so I can get
> at the window menu to dismiss the dialog?  Right now the blasted dialogs
> are undecorated, and cannot be dismissed once brought up.  (I have managed
> to iconify them!!)

I use the following in my .XDefaults file:

# The following line is a workaround for FrameMaker2.1X problems
# it ensures that a couple of windows will at least get some decoration
# instead of none.
OpenWindows.MinimalDecor:	pCatalog cCatalog edit_search edit_spell pgf fontdesign edit_markers tools

# make default Character catalog a bit bigger
Maker.cCatalog.form.width:	136
Maker.cCatalog.form.height:	200
# make default paragraph catalog a bit bigger
Maker.pCatalog.form.width:	136
Maker.pCatalog.form.height:	800
# place makerkit top-right of screen
Maker.makerkit.geometry:	-0+0
# provide mouse with old (sunview) binding of buttons
Maker.oldMouse:	True

   I don't know of any way to get pop-up window decoration, the above
will give the mentioned windows normal decorations. One point to watch
is that the Quit item in the window menu will quit FrameMaker completely.
Because you get the normal window menu, you can not dismiss the
windows, only close them. As mentioned by previous writers, only
Ctrl-C will dismiss a pop-up.
Maybe you only want pCatalog and cCatalog to have minimal decor,
so you can resize them. The others are not so important, or even
dangerous, because of the Quit menu item.

Look in you $(FMHOME)/.fminit2.0/xresources directory for more
X resources you can set.

Marco Nijdam

-- Marco Nijdam, marco@westc.uucp  OR  mcsun!hp4nl!westc!marco
-- West Consulting bv, Phoenixstraat 49, 2611 AL  Delft, The Netherlands
--                     P.O. Box 3318,    2601 DH  Delft
-- Tel: +31-15-123190, Fax: +31-15-147889

openlook-request@openlook (11/21/90)

 |2nd point : I heard a rumour that the OL version of frame would be NeWS-based.
 |(i.e. not X-based) I don't know whether this is true...

Absolutely true, it's written for the NeWS side of OpenWindows.
It is just at the alpha stage now, and we hope to do alpha testing.
It walks & quacks like FrameMaker, only it IS written for OL, so you
have all the civilities like like obvious ways to dismiss dialog
boxes.

OL FrameMaker was shown both at Seybold and at COMDEX - at COMDEX it
was in the Sun booth.

Now, when I get FrameMaker running on my SPARCclone laptop (also shown
in the Sun booth .. one version is IPC compatible and runs OpenWindows,
unlike the other clones ..

-john

John Eadie _Computing Art Inc_ jeadie@Sun.COM (416) 536-9951 | (604) 224-9201
Studio #303, 25 Liberty, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA M6K 1A6  FAX (416) 536-6252

I don't want to say my ex-girlfriend was loose.  I think the term
now is "user-friendly."            -- Emo Philips

fgreco@fis1138.govt.shearson.com (Frank Greco) (11/22/90)

> 2nd point : I heard a rumour that the OL version of frame would be NeWS-based.
> (i.e. not X-based) I don't know whether this is true...

Yes, this is true.  It (pre-release version) was shown for the
first time at the prestigious Seybold Conference and at Unix Expo
(at the Open Vistas booth).

In the OVI NeWSletter there is an interview with Max Hoffmann, Frame
Technology Product Marketing, on the NeWS/OPENLOOK port and why
they choose NeWS to do the OPENLOOK version.

Frank G.

kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) (11/27/90)

In article <uq1yg35@openlook.Unify.Com>  writes:

 > |2nd point : I heard a rumour that the OL version of frame would be NeWS-based.
 > |(i.e. not X-based) I don't know whether this is true...
 >
 >Absolutely true, it's written for the NeWS side of OpenWindows.
 >It is just at the alpha stage now, and we hope to do alpha testing.
 >It walks & quacks like FrameMaker, only it IS written for OL, so you
 >have all the civilities like like obvious ways to dismiss dialog
 >boxes.

Oh wonderful.  If you want to use X you have to deal with a Motif look and feel,
and if you want OpenLook you have to deal with OpenWindows.  Lovely -- I think
it's time to migrate to Interleaf... ( 1/2 :-) )
| Internet:   kucharsk@Solbourne.COM	      |	William Kucharski             |
| uucp:	...!{boulder,sun,uunet}!stan!kucharsk |	Solbourne Computer, Inc.      |
===>> Opinions expressed above are MINE, not those of Solbourne Computer. <<===

dan@scooter.rosemount.com (Dan Messinger) (11/27/90)

In article <ym1y9s3@openlook.Unify.Com>,
fgreco@fis1138.govt.shearson.com (Frank Greco) writes:

|> > 2nd point : I heard a rumour that the OL version of frame would be
NeWS-based.
|> > (i.e. not X-based) I don't know whether this is true...
|>
|> Yes, this is true.  It (pre-release version) was shown for the
|> first time at the prestigious Seybold Conference and at Unix Expo
|> (at the Open Vistas booth).

I hope this doesn't mean that the X version of Frame for Suns will be
discontinued....?

dan@scooter.rosemount.com