[comp.windows.open-look] comp.windows.open-look digest

openlook-request@unify.com (11/14/90)

--------

Newsgroups: comp.windows.open-look
From: jeff@Unify.com (Jeff Mischkinsky)
Subject: Re: function keys f1,f11 and f12
Sender: news@Unify.Com (news admin)
Date: Wed Nov 14 02:20:18 1990 GMT

In article <1990Nov8.083925@Unify.com>, grp@Unify.com (Greg
Pasquariello) writes:
> In article <mdfzgew@openlook.Unify.Com>, uunet!nmri!loach!alex
> (Alexander G. Macur) writes:
>
> > Has anyone been able to figure out how to get function keys
> > f1,f11 and f12 to work in an xterm under openlook verison 2.0
> > on a sparcstation 1.
> >
> > On MIT X 11 R4 server they work fine
> >

> First you have to understand keys vs keysysms.  Whenever a key
> is pressed, the X server takes that key, and maps it to a keysym.
> The keysym is what xterm thinks was really pressed.  For example
> pressing the F3 Key causes the server to map an F3 keysym, and
> everything works just fine.
>
> The problem is that the xnews server maps the sun keys in an
> odd way.  By default, it maps the L1 and L2 keys (on the left of
> the keyboard) to the F11 and F12 keysyms, and it maps the F1 key
> to the Help keysym.  It then maps the F11 and F12 keys to the
> SunF36 and SunF37 keysysms.  Don't ask me why, 'cuz I can't tell
> you.

The reason is that the standard X keysyms only go up to F35.  Since
Sun has more than that, they had to roll their own.

--
Jeff Mischkinsky		internet: jeff@unify.com
Unify Corporation		          ...!{pyramid,csusac}!unify!jeff

--------

From: robbie@tivoli.UUCP (robbie)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.open-look
Subject: Re: dbxtool under Openwindows 2.0
Date: 13 Nov 90 16:20:19 GMT

In article <BARNETT.90Nov12163335@grymoire.crd.ge.com> barnett@crdgw1.ge.com writes:
<In article <ELVIS.90Nov12120156@sparky.EE.MsState.Edu> elvis@EE.MsState.Edu (presley) writes:
<
<
<>   Does anyone know how to turn off the click-to-type mode, the
<>   default for the dbxtool which is included with Openwindows 2.0?
<
<This is a *Feachure*!
<
<Alas, OpenLook only allows one "caret", or insertion point, per tool.
<If you want to change the caret, you must click in the command window
<or the source window. You cannot just move the mouse into the desired
<window and type a command.
<
<I miss this feature also. :-)
I missed it too, try this in your .Xdefaults file. It should fix everybody up.

OpenWindows.SetInput: followmouse

--------

From: barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.open-look
Date: 13 Nov 90 17:26:51 GMT

In article <192@tivoli.UUCP> robbie@tivoli.UUCP () writes:
|In article <BARNETT.90Nov12163335@grymoire.crd.ge.com> I write:
|>I miss this feature also. :-)
|I missed it too, try this in your .Xdefaults file. It should fix everybody up.
|
|OpenWindows.SetInput: followmouse

No.

I assumed the original poster knew about the followmouse property.

I am talking about the SunView feature that lets you have multiple
insertion carets, one for each textedit area.

In the SunView mailtool, there are two carets: One for the folder/filename,
and one in the text subwindow. When you move the mouse into the appropriate
area, the gray diamond becomes a black triangle.

In the SunView dbxtool, there are two text subwindows with two
insertion points. If you move the mouse into the subwindow, that window
shows the current insertion point.

OpenLook does not have this feature. Even with followmouse.

You must Click in each subwindow to specify *which* subwindow gets the
focus.  If I have followsmouse on, and click in the source window of
dbxtool, I lose the keyboard focus in the command window. I cannot
move the mouse into the command window and type a command. I must
click in the appropriate subwindow to specify which window is getting
the focus.

Net Result: I must click to type when using dbxtool even though I have
follows mouse enabled. If I try to type a command and the focus is in
the wrong window, I get an alert saying I am trying to modify a read
only window.

I reported this to Sun a while ago, and the person said this is in the
specification of OpenLook. Perhaps we can convince them it is a bug, because
normally the source window does not get a text insertion caret.

--------

From: mh@roger.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.open-look
Subject: Re: rectlist in canvas_repaint_proc in xview
Date: 13 Nov 90 19:56:51 GMT
Sender: news@wlbr.IMSD.CONTEL.COM

In article <5755@alpha.cam.nist.gov> coleman@cam.nist.gov (Sean Sheridan Coleman X5672) writes:

 >In xview, I was looking at the Rectlist passed to the
 >canvas_repaint_proc using dbxtool. The bounding rectangle was
 >filled with all negative values and the pointer to the head
 >of the list of rectnodes which describes the areas to repaint,
 >points to bad data addresses. Got any ideas what gives?
 >

 >Sean Coleman
 >NIST
 >coleman@bldrdoc.gov
 >Boulder, CO

Most likely, it's because you have the wrong attribute for
CANVAS_X_PAINT_WINDOW set for the canvas being repainted.  You need
this to be true if your are doing repainting using the Xlib style
damage list and false if you are doing xview style damage list.  Check
out section 5.3 in the O'Reilly book to see exactly what to do. The
illuminating bits are a few pages back in the section (page 86-87 in my
book).

mike hoegeman, mh@roger.imsd.contel.com

--------

From: chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.open-look
Subject: Initiating drag and drop
Date: 13 Nov 90 21:32:09 GMT
Sender: news@trantor.harris-atd.com

     I am trying to initiate a drag and drop operation from an XView tool.
I successfully create a cursor and get a fullscreen, and drag the cursor
to another window.  When I release the mouse button, my code sends a message
to the XV_POINTER_WINDOW under the mouse.

     Here's the problem.  If the receiver is filemgr, the message is received,
and the file is copied.  Any other tool, like textedit, ignores the message.
Even my tool, which can receive ACTION_DRAG_LOAD events, doesn't get the
message.  Why is it that messages from filemgr are received, but messages
from me are not?

     To further mystify matters, if I open a textedit window by double-clicking
a file in filemgr, and then drop something in that textedit window from my tool,
the message is received by filemgr!

     Could it be that receiving a DRAG event is an XView-level thing, while
sending a DRAG event is an X-level thing, and that tools need to be set to
receive both XView-level DRAG and X-level DRAG?  My tool receives XView-level
stuff as described in the XView Programmer's Guide.  How do I set it to
receive the equivalent X-level DRAG events?

     Here is my code, taken from a sample included with GUIDE.  Any
suggestions are appreciated.  Is this covered in any reference guide?
There is plenty on receiving a DRAG event, but nothing on starting one.

typedef	struct	{XID             xid;
		 int             x;
		 int             y;
		 Window          window;
		 Atom            property;
		} Drag_message;

Xv_window	dest_win;
Fullscreen	fullscreen;
int		xdrop, ydrop;
Window		source_xid, dest_xid;
Atom		drag_atom;
Drag_message	msg;

/* setting up fullscreen stuff removed for clarity */

source_xid = (Window) xv_get(source_window, XV_XID);
drag_atom = XInternAtom(display, "DRAG_DROP", FALSE);

XChangeProperty(display, source_xid, drag_atom, XA_STRING, 8,
		PropModeReplace, path, strlen(path) + 1);

msg.xid      = XV_POINTER_WINDOW;
msg.x        = xdrop;
msg.y        = ydrop;
msg.window   = source_xid;
msg.property = drag_atom;

xv_send_message(source_window, XV_POINTER_WINDOW, "XV_DO_DRAG_LOAD",
		32, &msg, sizeof(msg));

--

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck

A good newspaper is never good enough,
	but a lousy newspaper is a joy forever.		-- Garrison Keillor

From: EYRING@cc.utah.edu
Newsgroups: comp.windows.open-look
Subject: What's the diff between xview and xt+?
Date: 13 Nov 90 18:17:28 GMT

What is the difference between xview and xt+?  Thought that Motif
was the xt intrinsics, but what is the xt+ toolkit that is provided
with OpenLook?  Does dev guide produce xview or xt+ code?

This has appeared on openlook-request.  I have re-directed it to the
correct list and to the newsgroup.

-Greg