[comp.windows.open-look] XView and lint....

kbj@jupiter.risc.com (Ken Johnson) (12/04/90)

I'm trying to get in the habit of writing 'good code' so I am beginning to
use lint.  lint pukes out dozens of pages of warnings about xv calls.  Any ideas
on options that will prevent this so I don't have to wade thru pages of stuff
to find the few useful messages?

Ken Johnson                             Phone: 805-373-4487
Rockwell International Science Center   Comnet: 273-4487
1049 Camino Dos Rios A-18               FAX: 805-373-4383
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360                 e-mail: kbj@risc.com

  Theorem 1:  Anything can be proven by statistical methods if enough data
                        is gathered.....

  Ken's corollary: If you don't have any idea what to do with the data
                        train a network....

gam@lanl.gov (Gim Mark) (12/05/90)

In article <zimy1k7@openlook.Unify.Com>, kbj@jupiter.risc.com (Ken Johnson) writes:

> I'm trying to get in the habit of writing 'good code' so I am beginning to
> use lint.  lint pukes out dozens of pages of warnings about xv calls.  Any ideas
> on options that will prevent this so I don't have to wade thru pages of stuff
> to find the few useful messages?
>

> Ken Johnson                             Phone: 805-373-4487

Here's what Lew Yobs (lewy@corp.sun.com) in customer support at Sun had to say
about lint and SunView:

	The suntool, sunwindow lint libraries have had problems
	for several releases now and considering the volume
	of info running lint on the simple test case produces
	under SunOS4.1 (worse than with SunOS 4.0) using
	lint is probably best avoided with those libraries.

Evidently the same holds for XView.

Graham Mark

quasar@krazykat.ctt.bellcore.com (Laurence R. Brothers) (12/06/90)

It seems pretty trivial to write an emacs macro or a sed script to remove
the zillions of lines of warnings about those xv_* functions. I use lint
all the time on XView code with no problem except removing the offending
comments. Not a big deal. Of course, if your macro is unintelligent,
you might lose some real warnings on those lines, but hey, life is hard.

I don't have an example of the method I use at hand -- I cleverly forgot
to save the damn thing, so I have to take a minute to rewrite it each
time....

	         Laurence R. Brothers (quasar@bellcore.com)
      Bellcore -- Computer Technology Transfer -- Knowledge-Based Systems
        "Like dancing oil on a madman's face, reason tends to fly away"