[comp.windows.open-look] What's the diff between xview and xt+?

EYRING@cc.utah.edu (11/14/90)

What is the difference between xview and xt+?  Thought that Motif
was the xt intrinsics, but what is the xt+ toolkit that is provided
with OpenLook?  Does dev guide produce xview or xt+ code?

mls@cbnewsm.att.com (mike.siemon) (11/14/90)

In article <102130@cc.utah.edu>, EYRING@cc.utah.edu writes:
> What is the difference between xview and xt+?  Thought that Motif
> was the xt intrinsics, but what is the xt+ toolkit that is provided
> with OpenLook?  Does dev guide produce xview or xt+ code?

XView is an X11 toolkit that is NOT based on the X Consortium standard Xt.

Like XView, Xt+ (as it used to be called) from Unix System Labs (of AT&T)
implements the OPEN LOOK specification; unlike XView, it uses libXt ( the
"intrinsics").  The intrinsics are a library of object-oriented support
tools for building widgets, but not themselves a widget set (the Athena
widgets, libXaw, are part of the MIT distribution of X11; these are NOT
part of the intrinsics, per se.)  Motif, from OSF, is a *different* set
of widgets (and a non OPEN LOOK look-and-feel) but is also based on the
intrinsics.

Having the various options and implementations seems to have done more
to confuse people than to help them by providing flexibility, but maybe
the confusions will be only temporary and the market will benefit from
having the options.  I think that was the original intent, anyway :-)
--
Michael L. Siemon		"O stand, stand at the window,
m.siemon@ATT.COM		    As the tears scald and start;

korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) (11/15/90)

>In article <102130@cc.utah.edu>, EYRING@cc.utah.edu writes:
>> What is the difference between xview and xt+?  Thought that Motif
>> was the xt intrinsics, but what is the xt+ toolkit that is provided
>> with OpenLook?  Does dev guide produce xview or xt+ code?
>
>XView is an X11 toolkit that is NOT based on the X Consortium standard Xt.

Oh come on now....

XView is an X11 toolkit based on Xlib, which is just as "standard" as Xt.
If Xlib changes, Xt code will break too. I happen to find code written in
the "SunView" API much cleaner than code written using any Xt based toolkit.
Sun uses C varargs quite a bit in XView, a feature only recently introduced
in the R4 Xt.

This "standards" thing has gotten a bit out of hand.

[Xt+ and Motif discussions deleted]

>Having the various options and implementations seems to have done more
>to confuse people than to help them by providing flexibility, but maybe
>the confusions will be only temporary and the market will benefit from
>having the options.  I think that was the original intent, anyway :-)

Yes it was, quickly porting 2000+ SunView apps was an important consideration
for Sun in the design of XView. If you were starting from scratch and like
to belive all this "standard" stuff OLIT (Xt+) is for you.

>--
>Michael L. Siemon		"O stand, stand at the window,
>m.siemon@ATT.COM		    As the tears scald and start;
>...!att!sfsup!mls		 You shall love your crooked neighbor
>standard disclaimer	    	    With your crooked heart."

Peter

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (11/15/90)

In article <102130@cc.utah.edu>, EYRING@cc.utah.edu writes:

> What is the difference between xview and xt+?  Thought that Motif
> was the xt intrinsics, but what is the xt+ toolkit that is provided
> with OpenLook?  Does dev guide produce xview or xt+ code?

Xt+ (called OLIT by Sun) is an intrinsics based toolkit.  The current
Motif toolkit is also intrinsics based.  XView is a toolkit that is
not intrinsics based.  Rather, it provides an interface similar to
SunView, and is based directly on Xlib.
--

---
Greg Pasquariello

mls@cbnewsm.att.com (mike.siemon) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.170501.2667@mcs.anl.gov>, korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov
(Peter Korp) writes:

I wrote:

> >XView is an X11 toolkit that is NOT based on the X Consortium standard Xt.
>
> Oh come on now....
>
> XView is an X11 toolkit based on Xlib, which is just as "standard" as Xt.

Sorry; my comment was in no way intended to be dismissive of XView -- you
rightly point to the value of an easy port from SunView.  This is part of
the flexibility of options I alluded to, and despite user confusion I do
indeed hope that the variety of options is of value to customers.

> This "standards" thing has gotten a bit out of hand.

That may be the case :-), nonetheless there *are* customers who specifically
want an Xt-based  OPEN LOOK (partly as protection; so that a common API to
different toolkits may be used for development).  My comment about Xt being
(now) a Consortium standard was meant to contrast with the inital X11 release
in which the intrinsics were still incomplete and were *not* offered as a
standard.  Consortium standardization in *this* case is not a requirement
that anyone use Xt, but a kind of guarantee that intrinsics-based toolkits
*will* have a stable base under Consortium control.

not intending to step on any toes ... :-)
--

jeff@Unify.Com (Jeff Mischkinsky) (11/15/90)

In article <102130@cc.utah.edu> EYRING@cc.utah.edu writes:
>What is the difference between xview and xt+?  Thought that Motif
>was the xt intrinsics, but what is the xt+ toolkit that is provided
>with OpenLook?  Does dev guide produce xview or xt+ code?

Xview is sun's toolkit which helps one to implement an open look application.
It is not based on the xt intrinsics, but uses xlib directly.  One of its
design goals was to make it easy to convert a sunview application to
an xview application, so it is very similar to xview.  Sun is now providing
an intrinsics-based open look toolkit, which they are calling OLIT (open look
intrinsics toolkit).  It is basically a port of the att's intrinsics toolkit,
which used to be called xt+. (I don't know what ATT is calling it now.)
The latest version is based on R4 and will work with any R4 server
including x11/news and the mit r4 server.  The motif toolkit is also based
on the intrinsics, except that you have to use their version of Xtlib because
their "standard" toolkit will not work with the standard intrinsics toolkit.
Dev guide, Sun's interface builder tool, produces xview code.
--
Jeff Mischkinsky		internet: jeff@unify.com
Unify Corporation		          ...!{pyramid,csusac}!unify!jeff

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (12/06/90)

Daniel Smith writes:
>> From: EYRING@cc.utah.edu
>> What is the difference between xview and xt+?
>	Note that the user would not be able to tell which toolkit
>(XView or Xt+) produced the program[1]...2 ways of getting the Open Look
>interface in X.

Well almost, but not quite true.  XView and Xt+ support a very different set
of command line options, and a different model of resource database entries.
So if the user is doing any configuring of the application he/she can tell
which library was used.
--
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)