[comp.windows.open-look] ctrl h in text windows and text panels

scott@shuksan.UUCP (Scott Moody) (12/06/90)

Problem 1:

I can't figure out how to get CTRL H to equal backspace in
text windows, or text panel items. If it is in the xmodmap stuff
I can't see it. ctrl-h works in shelltool since it is a regular
termcap.

Other problems
--------------

Problem 2:
 on a b/w sparcstation running openlook 2, inserting characters (in vi)
 results in the character under the cursor that is moving to the
 right disappearing (after about 20 characters).
 I then have to do a refresh to get it back.
 Unfortunately this doesn't happen all the time.

Problem 3:
  again on a b/2 screen, the box around a text window has a vertical bar
  showing the boundary of the window - inside the main frame. This bar
  isn't always connected and is missing most of it. (which I think
  is related to problem 2).

-----
Major Annoyance:
  Openlook took away the list item CYCLE where you could click the cycle
  icon and the menu choices would cycle through. Now clicking will
  get you the FIRST item. To get to any others you MUST use the menu,
  adding annoying steps!

Major Annoyance:
  Moving from kernal based sunview to network based xview, I notice lots
  of lost events from the keyboard if the system is loaded. Like I start
  a compile in one window, move to another and start typing (without
  click to type). Three possible things occur:
     (1) the typing goes to the old window
     (2) the typing goes to the bitbucket
     (3) the typing appears in new window - sometimes delayed.
  I had heard this was a problem with X but for it to happen all the
  time really sucks! We are getting faster machines but slower window
  systems.

Annoyance 1:
  is there anyway to have the cursor return to the start place after pulling
  down a menu (like sunview had). When you pick something that didn't work
  you have to move the cursor all the way back to the top and pull it down
  again.

Annoyance 2:
  once a menu is pulled down from a button, you can't move over
  to the next menu to pull down (on the next item) without
  letting go of the mouse. So a mac like interface isn't possible.
  (try it on the mailtool with all the buttons on top)

Annoyance 3:
  the text panel items show little arrows on the left and right meaning
  there are more characters in those directions. Unfortunately you have
  to click the arrow one at a time! There is no hold arrow down and
  scroll.

Advancement Needed:
  Openlook  needs to add transparent buttons that can be placed
  over areas on the screen so implementation of hyper-like functions
  would be easier.

Thanks for hearing me out. Converting my software from Sunview to Xview
is an experience which isn't too hard, but some things are annoying.

Scott Moody   "The Boeing Mountain Network"
     uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!scott
     uunet!bcstec!tahoma!shuksan!scott
     scott@shuksan.boeing.com

mark@cbfsb.att.com (Mark Horton) (12/08/90)

In article <353@shuksan.UUCP>, scott@shuksan.UUCP (Scott Moody) writes:

I've faced some of these.  I called 800-USA-4-SUN and had good answers
to most questions within a couple days.

> Problem 1:
>
> I can't figure out how to get CTRL H to equal backspace in
> text windows, or text panel items. If it is in the xmodmap stuff
> I can't see it. ctrl-h works in shelltool since it is a regular
> termcap.

This one drove me nuts too.  Turns out if you add
	Keyboard.DeleteChar:	^H
to your .Xdefaults it starts to work almost everywhere.
The exception I've found is in the header panel in mailtool,
where ^H is still ignored.

> Problem 2:
>  on a b/w sparcstation running openlook 2, inserting characters (in vi)
>  results in the character under the cursor that is moving to the
>  right disappearing (after about 20 characters).
>  I then have to do a refresh to get it back.
>  Unfortunately this doesn't happen all the time.

I haven't found this, and I use vi pretty heavily.  One thing I *have*
found is that the default shell tool uses a 35x80 window, but all the
termcaps in the world think sun and sun-cmd have 34 lines.  If you
rlogin to a machine running an older TCP/IP that won't pass the window
size, vi messes up.  I finally changed my .openwin-menu to explicitly
say "-size 593 444" which forces a 34x80 window.

You didn't say if you're rlogined to another host, or if you're in shell
tool or xterm or what, and what your window size is.  I seem to recall a
bug in vi that messed up tab stops if the screen width (normally 80) wasn't
a multiple of the tab stop (normally 8) with lines to long to fit on one
physical screen line.

> Major Annoyance:
>   Moving from kernal based sunview to network based xview, I notice lots
>   of lost events from the keyboard if the system is loaded. Like I start
>   a compile in one window, move to another and start typing (without
>   click to type). Three possible things occur:
>      (1) the typing goes to the old window
>      (2) the typing goes to the bitbucket
>      (3) the typing appears in new window - sometimes delayed.
>   I had heard this was a problem with X but for it to happen all the
>   time really sucks! We are getting faster machines but slower window
>   systems.

I agree.  I think what's happening here is that there is no serialization
of keystrokes and mouse motions like sunview does.  This can cause them
to be interpreted in the wrong order.  I find that when I move the mouse
I have to wait for the cursor to go solid; if I don't my keystrokes will
often go to the previous window.  This can take awhile on a Sun 3 with
20-25 windows up on it, which is what I'm looking at right now.  It's
probably a lot better on a Sun 4.  I do try to keep my windows down to a
minimum, but at the moment I really need all these dials and gages.

One thing that does seem to help is getting in the habit of letting the
fileserver do the work and the workstation be an X terminal.  I've put
menu items like
    "X Term fsa..."	exec rsh cbfsa DISPLAY=`hostname`:0 $OPENWINHOME/demo/xterm -title cbfsa -name cbfsa -bg yellow -ls -sb
    "FSA Mail Tool..."	exec rsh cbfsa DISPLAY=`hostname`:0 $OPENWINHOME/bin/xview/mailtool"
in my .openwin-menu; this lets the fileserver cbfsa do the work, and response
is much faster.

Now if only I could figure out how to make xterm give me a bigger font!

(Also, can I change the label in an xterm window with an escape sequence?)

> Annoyance 3:
>   the text panel items show little arrows on the left and right meaning
>   there are more characters in those directions. Unfortunately you have
>   to click the arrow one at a time! There is no hold arrow down and
>   scroll.

I assume you're talking about mailtool.  I haven't found a workaround for
this one either.

	Mark

clh@tfic.bc.ca (Chris Hermansen) (12/08/90)

In article <353@shuksan.UUCP> scott@shuksan.UUCP (Scott Moody) writes:

[problems deleted]

>Problem 2:
> on a b/w sparcstation running openlook 2, inserting characters (in vi)
> results in the character under the cursor that is moving to the
> right disappearing (after about 20 characters).
> I then have to do a refresh to get it back.
> Unfortunately this doesn't happen all the time.

Yes, same here.  This is really irritating.  A similar(?) thing seems to
happen occasionally in things like mailtool To: line - do you ever see
grundgy little flecks of character remenants floating around?

By the way, I've never seen this happen on a GX machine...

>Problem 3:
>  again on a b/2 screen, the box around a text window has a vertical bar
>  showing the boundary of the window - inside the main frame. This bar
>  isn't always connected and is missing most of it. (which I think
>  is related to problem 2).

I see this quite often.  It seems to be the result of front/back window
operations.  Note that iconifying and de-iconifying the window does NOT
fix this, nor does a refresh.  Hmm, does re-size? I must try it the next
time.  Also, I have a feeling (unsubstantiated) that this happens more on
large windows than small, and that Sunview windows often appear to cause
or be otherwise related to the damage (especially the DOS[YUCK] window).

[annoyances deleted]

>Major Annoyance:
>  Moving from kernal based sunview to network based xview, I notice lots
>  of lost events from the keyboard if the system is loaded. Like I start
>  a compile in one window, move to another and start typing (without
>  click to type). Three possible things occur:
>     (1) the typing goes to the old window
>     (2) the typing goes to the bitbucket
>     (3) the typing appears in new window - sometimes delayed.
>  I had heard this was a problem with X but for it to happen all the
>  time really sucks! We are getting faster machines but slower window
>  systems.

This problem is exacerbated by a lack of real memory; I noticed a distinct
lessening of this when I stuffed another 4Mb in.  I also have the feeling
that sometimes I have to click-to-type (even though I have disabled this
"feature") when things get busy and I move the mouse in a hurry.

OpenWindows sure doesn't track the mouse as well as Sunview.

[annoyances and advancement neededs deleted]

I'm sure this little problem is addressed in a manual somewhere, but: one thing
that really bugs me is the lack of a "Cut then Paste" item in the Edit menu
of a text window (hope I got that right).

>Thanks for hearing me out. Converting my software from Sunview to Xview
>is an experience which isn't too hard, but some things are annoying.

Ditto.  On the whole, what I think I'd like is a Sunview that looks like
OpenLook.  Bag X.  The NeWS part looks pretty neat, though.

Just another relatively uninformed user,

Chris Hermansen                         Timberline Forest Inventory Consultants
Voice: 1 604 733 0731                   302 - 958 West 8th Avenue
FAX:   1 604 733 0634                   Vancouver B.C. CANADA
clh@tfic.bc.ca                          V5Z 1E5

C'est ma facon de parler.