[comp.windows.open-look] Openlook Problems

jeff@cjsa.wa.com (Jeffery Small) (12/09/90)

>In article <353@shuksan.UUCP>, scott@shuksan.UUCP (Scott Moody) writes:
>> Problem 2:
>>  on a b/w sparcstation running openlook 2, inserting characters (in vi)
>>  results in the character under the cursor that is moving to the
>>  right disappearing (after about 20 characters).
>>  I then have to do a refresh to get it back.
>>  Unfortunately this doesn't happen all the time.

I have also found this to be a serious problem when running OpenWindows2 in
the B&W plane (cgfour) of my Sun 3/60.  Here, it is so bad that it makes
editing in a shelltool or cmdtool unusable.  Some additional points of
interest are:

    * This does not occur when running a color session - only B&W.

    * This problem does not occur under xterm on a B&W screen.

    * When other windows overlap a {shell,cmd}tool and are then moved, the
      {shell,cmd}tool window will often loose track of A PORTION BUT NOT ALL
      of the pixels which define the right edge of the text panel (or the
      left edge of scroll-bar region which is on the right side).  These
      missing pixels cannot be restored with a window or a desktop refresh
      and will only reappear if you resize the window.

Any helpful hints as to how to work around this problem would be welcome.
Thanks.
--
Jeff Small                     C. Jeffery Small & Associates    (206) 232-3338
uunet!nwnexus!cjsa!jeff        7000 E Mercer Way,  Mercer Island, WA     98040