[comp.windows.open-look] using "Your Commands" in filemanager

coleman@cam.nist.gov (Sean Sheridan Coleman X5672) (12/10/90)

How do you enter a command that needs to have a window
to display the results. I tried doing the following:

shelltool ps ax

unfortuantly, once the command is executed, the window dissapears
and you can't peruse your output.

Any ideas?

Sean Coleman
NIST

coleman@bldrdoc.gov

gjw@anucsd.anu.oz.au (Graham Williams) (12/10/90)

coleman@cam.nist.gov (Sean Sheridan Coleman X5672) writes:
|> How do you enter a command that needs to have a window
|> to display the results. I tried doing the following:
|>
|> shelltool ps ax
|>
|> unfortuantly, once the command is executed, the window dissapears
|> and you can't peruse your output.

Commands like this can be paced in the "Your Commands" menu directly
(without the shelltool---viz "ps ax") and output seems to be
redirected to the console.  One mode of operation is to have a console
window permanently open to view the results of your filemanager
commands.  I do this for commands like "make" and "make clean".

--
Graham Williams, gjw@anucsd.anu.oz.au or gjw@anucsd.anu.edu.au
Dept Computer Science, Australian National University,

birger@eik.ii.uib.no (Birger A. Wathne) (12/10/90)

You  could try something like
shelltool -I 'ps ax; set temp = $<; exit'
if you are using csh.

Other shells have similar capabilities. Just read from stdin.
This window will stay up until you press return.

I'm sure there are more elegant solutions, but this one is quick and easy.
--
   ___     ___   ___   ___  ___ email : birger@ii.uib.no
  /  /  / /  /  /  /  /    /  / smail : Birger A. Wathne

mrd@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Mark Dobie) (12/10/90)

In <6146@alpha.cam.nist.gov> coleman@cam.nist.gov (Sean Sheridan Coleman X5672) writes:

>How do you enter a command that needs to have a window
>to display the results. I tried doing the following:

>shelltool ps ax

>unfortuantly, once the command is executed, the window dissapears
>and you can't peruse your output.

>Any ideas?

Yes. I had this problem with xterm (which I use since not all our
machines run openwindows here). It seems easy with shelltool.

shelltool -I ps -ax

This seems to run ps and then continue with the shell waiting for
commands as normal.

--

Mark Dobie                              M.Dobie@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
University of Southampton		M.Dobie@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

lindholm@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (George Lindholm) (12/12/90)

In article <5687@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, mrd@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Mark Dobie) writes:
|> In <6146@alpha.cam.nist.gov> coleman@cam.nist.gov (Sean Sheridan Coleman X5672) writes:
|>
|> >How do you enter a command that needs to have a window
|> >to display the results. I tried doing the following:

On a similar note, how do I make emacs (with X11 support) or epoch the
default editor without getting two windows (one for the shelltool and one
for the editor)?

lindholm@ucs.ubc.ca     George_Lindholm@mtsg.ubc.ca      USERGNL@UBCMTSG.BITNET
University of British Columbia Computing Services
6356 Agricultural Road, Vancouver, B.C.
Canada, V6T 1T7
(604) 228-4375