[comp.windows.open-look] openwindows wont come up

coleman@cam.nist.gov (Sean Sheridan Coleman X5672) (12/11/90)

I just installed the 4.1.1 release cd rom which included
openlook. On one client of the server, openwindows
comes up fine but on the other client, I get
the initial blue screen with openlook logo and then
it goes white and an error occurs stating:

/usr/openwin/bin/xinit: No such file or directory.
Can`t connect to an X server.  When the blue screen goes
to white a small message is wisked by very fast. I managed
to figure out what it stated:

Process 0x1edd2 (unamed process) error ioerr
Stack {NeWS/Keyboard.ps} marker /keyboardtype
executing keyboard type
In Reading file NeWS/keyboard.ps
Sic transit gloria

Any assistance to rid this message and get openlook to work
would be much appreciated.

Sean Coleman
NIST
Boulder Co

coleman@bldrdoc.gov

linegar@bwdls49.bnr.ca (Derick Linegar) (12/12/90)

coleman@cam.nist.gov (Sean Sheridan Coleman X5672) writes:

>I just installed the 4.1.1 release cd rom which included
>openlook. On one client of the server, openwindows
>comes up fine but on the other client, I get
>the initial blue screen with openlook logo and then
>it goes white and an error occurs stating:

>/usr/openwin/bin/xinit: No such file or directory.
>Can`t connect to an X server.  When the blue screen goes
>to white a small message is wisked by very fast. I managed
>to figure out what it stated:

>Process 0x1edd2 (unamed process) error ioerr
>Stack {NeWS/Keyboard.ps} marker /keyboardtype
>executing keyboard type
>In Reading file NeWS/keyboard.ps
>Sic transit gloria

I've actually seen this happen on one of our Sun SPARC's
and what it turned out to be, is that your keyboard's jumper
settings are wrong. The jumper block is accessible under the
left "foot" of the keyboard behind the door. Contact Sun for
the correct setting, as I cannot remember what it is (and I'm
at home, so I cannot check...)

Hope this helps...

			-derick-

--
#include <disclaimer.h>
Derick Linegar,     Internet Systems 4P27,              Bell-Northern Research

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) (12/13/90)

In <linegar.661014254@bwdls49> linegar@bwdls49.bnr.ca (Derick Linegar) writes:

>coleman@cam.nist.gov (Sean Sheridan Coleman X5672) writes:

>>I just installed the 4.1.1 release cd rom which included
>>openlook. On one client of the server, openwindows
>>comes up fine but on the other client, I get
>>the initial blue screen with openlook logo and then
>>it goes white and an error occurs stating:

>>/usr/openwin/bin/xinit: No such file or directory.
>>Can`t connect to an X server.  When the blue screen goes
>>to white a small message is wisked by very fast. I managed
>>to figure out what it stated:

>>Process 0x1edd2 (unamed process) error ioerr
>>Stack {NeWS/Keyboard.ps} marker /keyboardtype
>>executing keyboard type
>>In Reading file NeWS/keyboard.ps
>>Sic transit gloria

>I've actually seen this happen on one of our Sun SPARC's
>and what it turned out to be, is that your keyboard's jumper
>settings are wrong. The jumper block is accessible under the
>left "foot" of the keyboard behind the door. Contact Sun for
>the correct setting, as I cannot remember what it is (and I'm
>at home, so I cannot check...)

I checked our SS1's and found that all the DIP switch settings (1-8)
should be the same, in the down (toward the space bar) / ON / toward
the little dots position.  On our acting up host switch 8 was up/off.

Hope this helps,

Robert

--
| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward@msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |