[comp.windows.open-look] Is there a summary of known XView problems somewhere?

zamojski@scomg.UUCP ( FFS *) (12/13/90)

Hello world,
In our company we use XView for developing the user interfaces to our
software. Doing this, we are occasionally faced with error situations
which are apparently due to XView bugs, because they can be reproduced
with the XView demos from O'Reilly 7. Example: try creating a menu with
an associated pullright menu (Menu package, not panel menus) and display
it on a color workstation (ours is a Sun 3/60 under SunOS 4.0.3). After
invoking the menu and selecting some items several times everything crashes
right down to a user logout or worse (reboot). Without the pullright menu
everything works as expected.
As it gets frustrating when you keep on looking for bugs in your own code,
which turn out to be the fault of the toolkit, now for my questions:
Is there a summary of known XView bugs and/or possible workarounds
somewhere in the world? If so, please let me know. Personal experiences
concerning the use of XView (especially the bugs) will also be greatly
appreciated (I'll summarize the results). By the way: the scrolling list
trick, which was posted recently by Tony Denault was very helpful for us.
Thanks for posting it.
                    Looking forward to hopefully numerous answers
                                        Jan
--

MfG Jan
                    zamojski@scomg

jmck@norge.Eng.Sun.COM (John McKernan) (12/15/90)

The only summary of problems that I know of are the buglists in the
share directory of V2 Open Windows, and in the doc/bugs directory of
the XView source release. Both have exactly the same buglists.

John McKernan.                                                   jmck@sun.com
Windows and Graphics Software, XView Dev Team, Sun Microsystems.

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (12/20/90)

In article <4563@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> jmck@norge.Eng.Sun.COM (John McKernan) writes:
>The only summary of problems that I know of are the buglists in the
>share directory of V2 Open Windows, and in the doc/bugs directory of
>the XView source release. Both have exactly the same buglists.

I am very pleased that Sun saw fit to include these files in the distribution.

However...  I wish they would update them more often, I went through many of
the major bugs listed and was unable to reproduce them.  This seems to imply
that around 80% of the listed bugs are fixed in OpenWindows 2.0.
--
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)