[comp.windows.open-look] RED & GREEN BANANAS...XView/motif/Xt.. & XView

andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) (12/28/90)

In <1990Dec20.134254.7401@vax1.tcd.ie> cemurphy@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>I have just got my hands on a Sun SPARC IPC and want to develop an application
>in XView. I am quite naive about it all. Help.

Sure!

>I believe that XView comes with the IPC and I am waiting for the delivery of
>the developers toolkit that allows you to visually place buttons, etc where
>you want them and will then generate template c code for the windowing aspects
>of your application.

Don't expect to much from Guide! If you want to create a "small" application
with a "small" number of buttons, menues, etc. and a "small" number of windows
then try it yourself - it's very easy in XView. Larger applications - well be
prepared for some very hard work with Guide - it helps you making windows -
that's it!

>Can anybody give me any good sources of referneces on XView?

With XView is some book from O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. It's heavy stuff
but try all the examples in vol. 7 and you may understand. Also have a look
at the Open Look style guide.

In <1990Dec20.134744.7402@vax1.tcd.ie> cemurphy@vax1.tcd.ie continues:
>I forgot to ask:

>WHat is X11.....is it Xlib? (wow! I'm stupid!)

>Thanks Cormac!

Hmm. This is my 0.05 DKR worth!

First there is X (your are running version 11, release 4 = X11R4)
On top of X is Xlib, ... for the people with hair to their shoulders
On top Xlib is XView, Xt, Motif, ... for people that still think digital
	watches is a neat idear...

XView at least handles only you menues, buttons, ... but if you do it right
your programs have (almost) an OpenLook(tm) look & feel (no it's not a
program - it is how it look like and respond to you mouse clicks!). You
must learn some Xlib to make drawings - but vol. 7 gives some hints.

To completely globber you mind: The whole package you get from Sun with
XView, NeWs, ... is called OpenWindows(tm) _not_ OpenLook - remember.

Andrew

Leif Andrew Rump, AmbraSoft A/S, Stroedamvej 50, DK-2100 Copenhagen OE, Denmark
UUCP: andrew@ambra.dk, phone: +45 39 27 11 77                /
Currently at Scandinavian Airline Systems                =======/
UUCP: andrew@resam.dk, phone: +45 32 32 51 54                \
SAS, RESAM Project Office, CPHML-V, P.O.BOX 150, DK-2770 Kastrup, Denmark

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (01/02/91)

In article <1990Dec27.192254.1471@resam.dk>, andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) writes:
> Don't expect to much from Guide! If you want to create a "small" application
> with a "small" number of buttons, menues, etc. and a "small" number of windows
> then try it yourself - it's very easy in XView. Larger applications - well be
> prepared for some very hard work with Guide - it helps you making windows -
> that's it!

     I find GUIDE (actually, Devguide) to be very easy to use and have built
several large (many windows, buttons, and gadgets) applications with it.  I
estimate a factor 10X productivity when using GUIDE.

> XView at least handles only you menues, buttons, ... but if you do it right
> your programs have (almost) an OpenLook(tm) look & feel (no it's not a
> program - it is how it look like and respond to you mouse clicks!). You
> must learn some Xlib to make drawings - but vol. 7 gives some hints.

     Xview generates an OL interface.  The widget appearance and feel is
pure OL.  Your only choice is the layout, and you should read the OL Style
Guide to learn how to lay things out.  The style guide is an excellent
book.  You should read it, no matter which toolkit you use.

--

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck

A good newspaper is never good enough,
	but a lousy newspaper is a joy forever.		-- Garrison Keillor

leif@winsoft.se (Leif Samuelsson) (01/04/91)

In article <5167@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:

>     I find GUIDE (actually, Devguide) to be very easy to use and have built
> several large (many windows, buttons, and gadgets) applications with it.  I
> estimate a factor 10X productivity when using GUIDE.
> [...]
>     Xview generates an OL interface.  The widget appearance and feel is
> pure OL.  Your only choice is the layout, and you should read the OL Style
> Guide to learn how to lay things out.  The style guide is an excellent
> book.  You should read it, no matter which toolkit you use.

Devguide is an excellent tool for prototyping and designing an OL user
interface. It does however have one major drawback which makes it less
useful for production code.

The problem is that Devguide uses absolute pixel coordinates for
window sizes and panel item positioning, thereby bypassing XView's
automatic layout mechanism.  XView knows a lot about OL's rules for
button layout, margins, row distances, etc. Devguide does not.

This is especially noticable when you start a Devguide-designed
application with the -scale option. Try for instance starting
Devguide itself with "guide -scale extra_large". See what I mean?

I recently installed Chuck's excellent contool program which was built
using Devguide. I think contool looks best when started with the
"-scale small" option, but I had to edit the contool_ui.c file and
remove all the absolute coordinates to make the windows look decent.
I didn't feel all that good about doing this, because now the user
interface can no longer be changed with Devguide, and the code is
still hard to read (because it was generated from Devguide). The worst
of both worlds...

My recommendation is: use Devguide for designing what you want the
user interface to look like. It's saves a lot of time. But be aware
that if you use the code "as is", it probably won't be strictly OPEN
LOOK compliant.

Oh, and if you're using XView - don't forget to set WIN_BORDER to TRUE
for panels (control areas) that touch the bottom of the frame. It's
the law - and it looks so much nicer - but Devguide doesn't know it.

Leif Samuelsson

Winsoft Data			Phone: (011 468) 730-1240
Lidgatan 18			Fax:   (011 468) 730-3102
S-171 58 SOLNA			E-mail: leif@winsoft.se
Sweden