[comp.windows.open-look] SunOS 4.1.1 with Open Look

pwh@bradley2.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman) (12/20/90)

The new release of SunOS appears to come with OpenLook by default.
We already have X installed (albeit it could maybe use a rebuild
now that I'm starting to get the hang of it).  My understanding is
that there is some overlap in the libraries.

What are some general opinions as to whether I should keep the Sun
supplied (OpenLook) libraries in preference to the X built ones
or vice versa?  I did find with another system running OpenLook
(V1.0) that many X applications didn't have all the Widgets and
such that they expected.  Are the Widget Libraries and other toolkits
the only things from X I'll need to keep?
--
-----
Pete Hartman		pwh@bradley.bradley.edu			Haazavaa?

brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) (12/21/90)

In <1990Dec20.145211.3999@bradley2.bradley.edu> pwh@bradley2.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman) writes:

>The new release of SunOS appears to come with OpenLook by default.
>We already have X installed (albeit it could maybe use a rebuild
>now that I'm starting to get the hang of it).  My understanding is
>that there is some overlap in the libraries.

>What are some general opinions as to whether I should keep the Sun
>supplied (OpenLook) libraries in preference to the X built ones or
>vice versa?  I did find with another system running OpenLook (V1.0)
>that many X applications didn't have all the Widgets and such that
>they expected.  Are the Widget Libraries and other toolkits the only
>things from X I'll need to keep?

The OpenWindows X binaries (OpenLook is a user-interface
specification, not a software package) are supposedly compiled
directly from the standard MIT X source.  So, in any cases of overlap,
YOUR versions will be more up to date (fewer bugs), and functionally
equivalent.

So, if you're willing to trust *my* advice, chuck the OpenWindows
libraries that you already have compiled, like libX11, libXext, and
libXau.  (Or be cautious and save them somewhere first, and see if the
OpenWindows goodies run with the MIT ones.)
--
Brian
brsmith@cs.umn.edu

>The OpenWindows X binaries (OpenLook is a user-interface
>specification, not a software package) are supposedly compiled
>directly from the standard MIT X source.  So, in any cases of overlap,
>YOUR versions will be more up to date (fewer bugs), and functionally
>equivalent.

They aren't all compiled from the MIT X source, and if you use the MIT
source your versions of the libraries that aren't will not be
functionally equivalent.

According to a "comp.windows.x" posting from Rick Heli at Sun, the OW 2.0
version of "-lX11" has the following features added:

        - compose character processing in XLookupString
        - DNI support
        - code to retry failing socket connections on start-up

You might not care about them, but there may be some who do....

I think other vendors have added compose support in XLookupString as
well.  It would be Really Nice if X11R5 included it; I don't know if it
could be done in a way that's compatible with the way any or all of
those vendors have done it or not.  (It would also be Really Nice if
X11R5 could support the Num Lock and Alt Graph keys on the Sun Type 4
keyboard and other keyboards, as long as we're talking wishlist; yes, I
sent this to the MIT folks when they put out the message asking about
X11R5 wishes.)

Another posting from Rick Heli indicated that there are also keysyms for
various "dead keys" in <X11/Sunkeysym.h> in OW 2.0, and that they "have
now been registed with the Consortium and will in the future appear in
XKeysymDB".

I don't know if the OW 2.0 "-lX11" is up to the latest patch level of the MIT
source or not.

In another "comp.windows.x" posting, Larry Cable of Sun indicated that
the "-lXt" in OW 2.0 is "'vanilla' X11R4 up to and including fix-13",
but that the patch that corrected the revision number of the Intrinsics
"arrived too late for inclusion into the product", so if you use a
widget library built with the MIT include files you may get the "Widget
class blahblahblah version mismatch" complaints if you use the OW "-lXt"
library.

I haven't seen anything about the other libraries.

Of course, if you can get the OW source (which has been claimed to be
available, albeit at a non-negligible medium charge to at least some
customers, and without the right to arbitrarily redistribute it - I
forget whether you have to be an S5R4 or SPARC licensee to get the
source, or just to redistribute binaries based on it with a licensing
fee; this topic has been flamed to death here and elsewhere), you could
merge in any MIT or other fixes and install that version.