[comp.windows.open-look] auto screenblanker under XNews a la X11R4

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (01/06/91)

I really was dismayed to find that the OpenWindows 2.0 XNews server doesn't
have an auto-screen-blanking option (based on time since mouse/keyboard
events) as does the X11R4 server.  I'm always forgetting to turn on a
screensaver when I walk away.

Since I'm relatively unfamilar with day-to-day running of Suns, am I
just forgetting or missing something?

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

rodgers@clausius.mmwb.ucsf.edu (01/06/91)

In <5796@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:

>I really was dismayed to find that the OpenWindows 2.0 XNews server doesn't
>have an auto-screen-blanking option ... am I just ... missing something?

Steve,

We just use the old pd SunView screen blank utility, nlock (renamed
sunlock locally), contributed to the 1987 SUG tape by Dan Heller of
Island Graphics.  Works dandy under OW 2.0.

Cheerio, Rick Rodgers
R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.         (415)476-8910 (work) 664-0560 (home)
UCSF Laurel Heights Campus     UUCP: ...ucbvax.berkeley.edu!cca.ucsf.edu!rodgers
3333 California St., Suite 102 ARPA: rodgers@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu
San Francisco CA 94118 USA     BITNET: rodgers@ucsfcca

jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu (Jim Lick) (01/07/91)

In article <5796@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>I really was dismayed to find that the OpenWindows 2.0 XNews server doesn't
>have an auto-screen-blanking option (based on time since mouse/keyboard
>events) as does the X11R4 server.  I'm always forgetting to turn on a
>screensaver when I walk away.
>
>Since I'm relatively unfamilar with day-to-day running of Suns, am I
>just forgetting or missing something?

On Sun systems, if you want the screen to blank, you typically use the
screenblank program.  Typically you put the '/bin/screenblank' program
in /etc/rc.local.  Or just run it as super-user now so you don't have to
reboot the machine.  Because of this, having a screenblank in an application
is unecessary.  Unfortunately, Sun does not put screenblank in the boot
scripts as default.

                            Jim Lick
Work: University of California	| Home: 6657 El Colegio #24
      Santa Barbara		|       Isla Vista, CA 93117-4280
      Dept. of Mechanical Engr. |	(805) 968-0189 voice/msg
      2311 Engr II Building     |	(805) 968-1239 data
      (805) 893-4113            |	(805) 968-2734 fax
      jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu	|	Soon: jim@cave.sba.ca.us

stolcke@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) (01/07/91)

In article <8016@hub.ucsb.edu> jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu (Jim Lick) writes:
>In article <5796@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>>I really was dismayed to find that the OpenWindows 2.0 XNews server doesn't
>>have an auto-screen-blanking option (based on time since mouse/keyboard
>On Sun systems, if you want the screen to blank, you typically use the
>screenblank program. [...]
>Because of this, having a screenblank in an application
>is unecessary.

The nice thing about having the screen saver in the X server is that
it allows you ot change its parameters under program control.  E.g., the
xlock program turns off the X server's screen saver because it does it's
own screen saving display.
--
Andreas Stolcke					stolcke@icsi.berkeley.edu
International Computer Science Institute	stolcke@ucbicsi.bitnet