[comp.windows.open-look] Questions about Open Look

gulik@motcid.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) (01/15/91)

I've just started using X-windows, and I've decided on using
OpenWindows on my sun 3/60.

I've been frustrated for several days trying to figure this
thing out.  Please help.

1) How can I place icons where I want them on the screen?  I put lines
   like the following in my .xinitrc, and it doesn't seem to be making
   a difference:

	xterm -xrm "*iconGeometry: 32x32+1106+72" -geometry 80x24+610+352

2) How can I change the default icon?  I would like some of my xterms
   to have different icons than the default one with the tools on it.

3) How can I change the root menu?  According to the man page for
   Open Look, I create a .olwmmenu file and put my definitions in
   there.  Well, I took the default menu file, made changes to it,
   and nothing.  I'm still getting the default menu.

Thanks in advance!!!

-greg

Gregory A. Gulik
        mcdchg!motcid!gulik  ||  greg@gagme.chi.il.us

jmck@norge.Eng.Sun.COM (John McKernan) (01/17/91)

grp@magpie.unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) writes:
>The window manager (olwm) that comes with OpenWindows does not honor
>icon placement requests.  The only place icons may be put are on the
>four sides of the display.

Note that xview applications have a resource and a command line flag
that allows you to specify where to put that application's icon. The
command line flag is -WP, and the resources are Icon.X and Icon.Y.
This is documented in the xview man page, and an example can usually be
found in your .openwin-init file if you have done a "save workspace."
Please note that I have never used the resources, only the command
line flag.

John McKernan.                                              jmck@sun.com
Windows and Graphics Software, XView Development Group, Sun Microsystems.

gulik@motcid.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) (01/17/91)

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their replies to my posting.

I receive many messages asking to forward answers, but there
were so many, I thought it would be better to let everyone
know what answers we received by following up to my own posting.

In article <6171@melon11.UUCP> gulik@motcid.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) writes:

>1) How can I place icons where I want them on the screen?  I put lines
>   like the following in my .xinitrc, and it doesn't seem to be making
>   a difference:
>
>	xterm -xrm "*iconGeometry: 32x32+1106+72" -geometry 80x24+610+352

The above syntax works under Open Look.  The problem I guess
I was having was using things like "*iconGeometry: 32x32-0-0", which
would place the icon off the screen.  A syntax like 32x32-50-50 would
make it appear near the upper right hand corner of the screen.

>2) How can I change the default icon?  I would like some of my xterms
>   to have different icons than the default one with the tools on it.

Also, under Open Look, you can change the default by using
-xrm "*iconPixmap: bitmapfile"

I've tested this with xterm and works great.  I haven't tried
it with other utilities yet.

>3) How can I change the root menu?  According to the man page for
>   Open Look, I create a .olwmmenu file and put my definitions in
>   there.  Well, I took the default menu file, made changes to it,
>   and nothing.  I'm still getting the default menu.

Apparently the man page we have online is old.  The 2.0 version
of Open Windows uses the file .openwin-menu as the root menu
file for Open Look instead of .olwmmenu

Once again, thanks for all your replies.