[comp.windows.open-look] 3D resource

lamour@gong.mitre.org (Michael Lamoureux) (01/17/91)

	Just a quick stupid question.  I've been trying to figure out
which resource or which flag controls which type of 3D look I get.
There's the default (with no lines in .Xdefaults, etc) which basically
indents the entire title bar of the window with the input focus.  Then
there's the one I have now, which is two microscopic lines, one at the
top and one at the bottom of the title bar which appear on the window
with the input focus.
	I've tried changing just about every resource which seems
remotely logical to control this sort of thing, and I have had no luck
getting anywhere.  Yet, whenever someone uses Open Windows for the
first time without creating a .Xdefaults or .Xresources file or
manipulating anything, they get the infinitely more visible version
of this.  I really don't have time to start from empty and add a billion
resources one at a time until it breaks.  Any suggestions as to the one
thing I didn't try?

Thanks,
Michael
lamour@mitre.org

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan16.183300.730@linus.mitre.org> lamour@mitre.org writes:
:
:	Just a quick stupid question.  I've been trying to figure out
:which resource or which flag controls which type of 3D look I get.

the SetInput resource changes the graphics as well as the input focus
mode.

Probably the people who wrote the manual didn't know that either...

--
-george   @sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu

cflatter@zia.AOC.NRAO.EDU (Chris Flatters) (01/18/91)

> 	Just a quick stupid question.  I've been trying to figure out
> which resource or which flag controls which type of 3D look I get.
> There's the default (with no lines in .Xdefaults, etc) which basically
> indents the entire title bar of the window with the input focus.  Then
> there's the one I have now, which is two microscopic lines, one at the
> top and one at the bottom of the title bar which appear on the window
> with the input focus.

The type of highlighting on the title bar reflects whether you have
click-to-focus set (highlighted/indented block) or are in follow-mouse
mode (twin rules).

		Chris Flatters

George Jefferson writes:
> In article <1991Jan16.183300.730@linus.mitre.org> lamour@mitre.org writes:
> :
> :	Just a quick stupid question.  I've been trying to figure out
> :which resource or which flag controls which type of 3D look I get.
>
> the SetInput resource changes the graphics as well as the input focus
> mode.
>
> Probably the people who wrote the manual didn't know that either...

I think that they did know: see page 64 of the OPEN LOOK User Interface
Functional Specification.

			Chris Flatters

patl@Eng.Sun.COM (Pat Lashley [MtV NeWStech Eng.]) (01/18/91)

|>  	Just a quick stupid question.  I've been trying to figure out
|>  which resource or which flag controls which type of 3D look I get.
|>  There's the default (with no lines in .Xdefaults, etc) which basically
|>  indents the entire title bar of the window with the input focus.  Then
|>  there's the one I have now, which is two microscopic lines, one at the
|>  top and one at the bottom of the title bar which appear on the window
|>  with the input focus.

The choice is controlled by input focus mode.  The indented header indicates
click-to-type, the two lines indicate focus-follows-mouse.  See the Open
Look User Interface Functional Specification pp 64-65.

|>  	I've tried changing just about every resource which seems
|>  remotely logical to control this sort of thing, and I have had no luck
|>  getting anywhere.  Yet, whenever someone uses Open Windows for the
|>  first time without creating a .Xdefaults or .Xresources file or
|>  manipulating anything, they get the infinitely more visible version
|>  of this.  I really don't have time to start from empty and add a billion
|>  resources one at a time until it breaks.  Any suggestions as to the one
|>  thing I didn't try?

You start with the indented headers because you start in click-to-type mode.
Personally, I would favor changing the default input mode, and swapping the
indicators; but it is -much- too late to change the spec...

-Pat