[comp.windows.open-look] Multi server support

andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) (01/23/91)

In <864wty2@openlook.Unify.Com> stan@sun-valley.stanford.edu writes:
>Is anyone out there compiling a more up-to-date XView buglist?  The only one I
>have is the one that comes with OpenWindows.

I would love to get my hands on one! We have encounted _AND_ reported a
number of bugs to Sun but the most fatal one is that OpenWindows 2.0
seem to have a bug in the multi server support - it terminates with an
error (Source code is available (from me) if you want to have a go)!
Is there a multi server _XView_ program running out there?

NOTE: multi server means that _one_ program create windows on _several_
servers and when somebody press a button in a window the callback
routine for that button is envoked (You may define the same callback
for a button in all the windows if you want!)

>In any case, I think I have a few to add to the list (unbundle the attached
>shar file for details).  If anyone has the motivation to track these down,
>please let me know.

I'll try it (as soon as my schedule allow it - let's say about mid '91 :-)

Leif Andrew

Leif Andrew Rump, AmbraSoft A/S, Stroedamvej 50, DK-2100 Copenhagen OE, Denmark
UUCP: andrew@ambra.dk, phone: +45 39 27 11 77                /
Currently at Scandinavian Airline Systems                =======/
UUCP: andrew@resam.dk, phone: +45 32 32 51 54                \
SAS, RESAM Project Office, CPHML-V, P.O.BOX 150, DK-2770 Kastrup, Denmark

dmaustin@vivid.sun.com (Darren Austin - I will not instigate revolution) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan23.082153.19314@resam.dk> andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) writes:
   I would love to get my hands on one! We have encounted _AND_ reported a
   number of bugs to Sun but the most fatal one is that OpenWindows 2.0
   seem to have a bug in the multi server support - it terminates with an
   error (Source code is available (from me) if you want to have a go)!
   Is there a multi server _XView_ program running out there?

   NOTE: multi server means that _one_ program create windows on _several_
   servers and when somebody press a button in a window the callback
   routine for that button is envoked (You may define the same callback
   for a button in all the windows if you want!)

Hi Leif,

   You are correct.  Multi-server support in XView 2.0 is broken.
However in the next release of the XView (no I don't know when
that will be, so don't ask ;-), this will be fixed.  You will be
able to have windows on multiple servers, screens and visuals all
in the same application.

--Darren
--
Darren Austin                         |  Actually, it's a buck and a quarter
Windows and Graphics Software	      |  staff, but I'm not going to tell