[comp.windows.open-look] X or Xview version of Mush

ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) (01/27/91)

Hi netters,

I was wondering if anyone had ever gone to the effort of trying to convert
the mushtool code in mush to use X or Xview ?  I had a quick look at it
just recently, but I have never programmed in either and even with the
conversion scripts I found the job beyond me.

If anyone hase performed this miracle I would be very interested in hearing
from you.

ant

--
  V   ant                       "It's great to be young and insane"
 \o/  ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au                    - Dream Team

ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) (01/29/91)

ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) [me] writes:
>I was wondering if anyone had ever gone to the effort of trying to convert
>the mushtool code in mush to use X or Xview ?  I had a quick look at it
>just recently, but I have never programmed in either and even with the
>conversion scripts I found the job beyond me.

>If anyone hase performed this miracle I would be very interested in hearing
>from you.

Hi guys,

Well apparently there is an X version of mush.  It is called zipmail and is
a commercial product.  Also, the copyright on mush dissallows converting it
to use in X windows etc.  The word from Dan :

->The new version is called "zipmail" currently (it's name is going to
->change) and this is strictly a *commercial product*.  It is not free
->software.  The advantage is that there is complete documentation (a
->500 page O'Reilly book and a smaller "user's guide") and there is a
->full support staff behind it.  We have done a Motif and Open Look version
->and are sending out Beta shipments on Feb 1 -- full release on March 1.
->
->"Mush" is still owned strictly by me and I prohibit anyone from
->modifying Mush to work under X windows or to make any modifications
->whatsoever publically available.  Obviously, this is to prohibit
->competition with my new business.  Mush has never been in the public
->domain; it has always been owned by me with these restrictions (see
->the README).  I still support mush in fact and am about to release
->a new version of it (7.2.2).
->
->You may repost this to the net, forward it to others if necessary,
->etc..  I appologize for the "stern" sounding language I'm using,
->but it is necessary to impress upon people that this is now my own
->business and how I make a living...  After all, I'd rather do Mush
->than anything else, so why should I work for someone else to pay the
->bills and do mush in my spare time?  We are talking to *lots* of OEM's
->so you might see it on your desktop before the end of the year :-).
->
->Of course, interested people can certainly contact me.
->
->--dan

ant