[comp.windows.open-look] Sun "Front" key

wolinsky%isys@uunet.UU.NET (Jeff Wolinsky) (02/03/91)

Anyone know how I can remap the "Front" key on a Sun kbd from within an
XView program?  I've tried 'defaults_set_string' on 'OpenWindows.FrontKey'
but I'm doing something wrong or the olwm isn't updating its mapping.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-------

Jeffrey Wolinsky - Manager, Software Systems - Isys Controls, Inc.

wolinsky@isys.com  or  uunet!isys!wolinsky

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (02/06/91)

In article <rgpwrqy@openlook.Unify.Com> wolinsky%isys@uunet.UU.NET (Jeff Wolinsky) writes:
>Anyone know how I can remap the "Front" key on a Sun kbd from within an
>XView program?  I've tried 'defaults_set_string' on 'OpenWindows.FrontKey'
>but I'm doing something wrong or the olwm isn't updating its mapping.
>Any suggestions?

Well, it is not olwm that remaps the keyboard, it is the server.  And that
is probably doing exactly what it is supposed to.

Your problem is that olwm establishes a passive grab on the Front key,
so your application never sees it.  And since a passive grab is done on
the key *code*, not the mapped keysym, the remapping has no effect on
the grab.  I suspect that you would have to stop and restart olwm to
get it to accept a new Front key.  And even then you would probably have
to use some sort of resource dastabase entry to tell it what key to use.
[i.e. just remapping the key and restarting olwm may not be enough]
--
---------------
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)

smarks@Eng.Sun.COM (Stuart Marks) (02/06/91)

    From:  wolinsky%isys@uunet.UU.NET (Jeff Wolinsky)

    Anyone know how I can remap the "Front" key on a Sun kbd from within an
    XView program?  I've tried 'defaults_set_string' on 'OpenWindows.FrontKey'
    but I'm doing something wrong or the olwm isn't updating its mapping.
    Any suggestions?

The 'Front' key is handled by the window manager on a global basis.  You
can't remap it from within program, XView or not.  The way to remap it is
by changing the OpenWindows.FrontKey resource in the .Xdefaults file and
then restarting the window manager.  The syntax for key specifications is
documented in the olwm man page.

s'marks

Stuart W. Marks			ARPA: smarks@eng.sun.com
Windows & Graphics Software	UUCP: sun!smarks
Sun Microsystems, Inc.