[comp.windows.open-look] XView on non Sun platforms

cca13@seq1.keele.ac.uk (G.D. Pratt) (01/29/91)

Does anybody know whether XView is being/going to be ported to IBM
and DEC Workstations or is it always going to sit on Sun kit?

Also I understand from a friend that a company called Quarterdeck,
who have a PC/X product called Desqview(?), are supposed to be
porting XView to run on a PC - anyone know it that is correct?

many thanks,
gerry
--
gerry pratt  --  workstation support  --  university of keele
email:  gerry@seq1.keele.ac.uk   *   tel:  0782 621111 x 3290

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (01/30/91)

Gerry> Does anybody know whether XView is being/going to be ported to IBM
Gerry> and DEC Workstations or is it always going to sit on Sun kit?

According to Sun, XView is in the process of being ported to DEC, HP,
and IBM RIOS (by Sun), to PC/DOS (by Quaterdeck) and to Mac A/UX (by
i-can-remember-what-there-is). This port was scheduled for "the
beginning of '91", so with a bit of luck it will hit the streets
before the release of XView 3.0.

Also, XView is (sort-a) included in SysVr4. Dell, for one, has
announced it for their UNIX PC. Expect several others to follow suit.
Commodore has OPEN LOOK GUI for the Amiga Unix box, but it's a bit
unclear if they have XView.

Getting XView up on a non-Sun machine isn't that hard if you can live
without the tty subwindow stuff.

Gerry> Also I understand from a friend that a company called Quarterdeck,
Gerry> who have a PC/X product called Desqview(?), are supposed to be
Gerry> porting XView to run on a PC - anyone know it that is correct?

DesqView/X, an X implementation and DOS multitasker for the PC, has
been announced, but not yet released to the general public. DesqView/X
will (they promise) include X11R4, Motif toolkit, OLIT, XView, and
more. It has been demonstrated at a number of conferences recently and
is rumored to work. Release date is "Q1/91". Hopefully that's not an
Aston-Tate date.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Beauty is a French phonetic corruption
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. |                   - FZ

fgreco@govt.shearson.com (Frank Greco) (01/30/91)

> Does anybody know whether XView is being/going to be ported to IBM
> and DEC Workstations or is it always going to sit on Sun kit?

	Try contacting Unipress in Edison, NJ.  They're apparently
	doing ports of XVIEW to IBM, DEC and HP.

> Also I understand from a friend that a company called Quarterdeck,
> who have a PC/X product called Desqview(?), are supposed to be
> porting XView to run on a PC - anyone know it that is correct?

	I read in Unix Today that at Uniforum last week, Quarterdeck
	(the Desqview people) announced XVIEW availability
	for their X server.

	Frank G.

boyter@bimbo.uucp (Maj Brian Boyter) (01/30/91)

cca13@seq1.keele.ac.uk (G.D. Pratt) writes:
>Does anybody know whether XView is being/going to be ported to IBM
>and DEC Workstations or is it always going to sit on Sun kit?

On Monday I saw a press release from Sun Microsystems stating
that OpenWindows was now available for DEC, IBM, HP, etc....
I would include it with this posting but I deleted it...

Brian

   Maj. Brian A Boyter
   US Army Foreign Science & Technology Center
   Charlottesville, Va 22901                         __
   off: (804)980-7362                              (    )
   home:     973-9440                             {      }
                                                   (    )
   boyter@fstc-chville.army.mil                      ||
   Just say glow......                       _______<  >_______

pturner@ese.ogi.edu (Paul Turner) (01/31/91)

The question was

>> Does anybody know whether XView is being/going to be ported to IBM
>> and DEC Workstations or is it always going to sit on Sun kit?

Frank G. writes

>Try contacting Unipress in Edison, NJ.  They're apparently
>doing ports of XVIEW to IBM, DEC and HP.

I just did this, and it has done nothing but add to the confusion
I have resulting from Sun's announcements regarding XView for non-Suns.
The person I talked to at Unipress said the RIOS port was done and
proceeded to give me pricing info for *binaries*:

1 CPU license $2495.00
1 RTU unlimited copies $7500.00

At these prices we can't afford it - it will be cheaper for us
to port existing XView code to Motif than to license every RS6000
we have.  It was my understanding that the ports done by Unipress
would be made available at no cost for for IBM, DEC and HP. Obviously
I was just imagining things. Seems to me I recall that the next
release of XView was supposed to include the necessary code to support
XView on IBM, DEC and HP.

Paul Turner
pturner@ese.ogi.edu

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (01/31/91)

cca13@seq1.keele.ac.uk (G.D. Pratt) writes:

>Does anybody know whether XView is being/going to be ported to IBM
>and DEC Workstations or is it always going to sit on Sun kit?

Looks like XView comes standard with SysVR4 programmer's toolkit.  I
have SVR4 for the 386, and I have the *manual* for XView; haven't
looked, but I presume I also have the libraries.  (Biiig system.)

--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

thp@relay.EU.net (Timothy H Panton.) (01/31/91)

Paul Turner <pturner@ese.ogi.edu> writes :

> XView for non-Suns.

> RIOS port

> 1 CPU license $2495.00
> 1 RTU unlimited copies $7500.00

>It was my understanding that the ports
> would be made available at no cost for for IBM, DEC and HP

Perhaps this is just another use of Sun's new definition of the word "Free".
 :-)

Tim.

lusk@tsc.cs.unc.edu (John Lusk) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan30.014221.18562@bimbo.uucp> boyter@bimbo.uucp (Maj Brian Boyter) writes:

   On Monday I saw a press release from Sun Microsystems stating
   that OpenWindows was now available for DEC, IBM, HP, etc....
   I would include it with this posting but I deleted it...

Meaning XView patches will start showing up on ftp sites any day now?

John.

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (02/08/91)

Paul> 1 CPU license $2495.00
Paul>It was my understanding that the ports
Paul> would be made available at no cost for for IBM, DEC and HP

Timothy> Perhaps this is just another use of Sun's new definition of
Timothy> the word "Free".  :-)

Right. XView is so free that parties outside Sun can grab the code,
port it to other architectures, and sell it as proprietary software.
Only goes to show that Sun should have put XView under the GPL.

/Lars