[comp.windows.open-look] Will more memory really help OpenWindows on a Sun 3/50?

glenn@rigel.econ.uga.edu (Glenn F. Leavell) (02/14/91)

I have a Sun 3/50 with the stardard 4Meg of memory.  I've been thinking of
upgrading its memory so that I can efficiently run OpenWindows.  Is it worth
it?  I've heard from some people that it's not even worth trying to run
OpenWindows on a Sun 3/50.  Does anyone out there run OpenWindows on
such a machine, and what kind of performance do you get?

Thanks in advance,
Glenn
--
Glenn F. Leavell  Systems Administrator  glenn@rigel.econ.uga.edu  404-542-3488
 University of Georgia Economics Department. 147 Brooks Hall. Athens, GA 30602

karl@quercus.gsfc.nasa.gov (Karl Anderson) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb13.165804.27453@rigel.econ.uga.edu>,
glenn@rigel.econ.uga.edu (Glenn F. Leavell) writes:

|> I have a Sun 3/50 with the stardard 4Meg of memory.  I've been
thinking of
|> upgrading its memory so that I can efficiently run OpenWindows.  Is
it worth
|> it?  I've heard from some people that it's not even worth trying to
run
|> OpenWindows on a Sun 3/50.  Does anyone out there run OpenWindows on
|> such a machine, and what kind of performance do you get?

We have two 3/50s with 8 Mb of RAM.  Their owners were using SunView,
but have
found OW to be more functional, and the performance is satisfactory
enough that
both have made OW their default environments.

--
Karl A. Anderson		| Internet: karl@forest.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC code 923 (STX)	| voice: (301) 286-3815

I recently wrote the following here in comp.window.open-look:

>I have a Sun 3/50 with the standard 4Meg of memory.  I've been thinking of
>upgrading its memory so that I can efficiently run OpenWindows.  Is it worth
>it?  I've heard from some people that it's not even worth trying to run
>OpenWindows on a Sun 3/50.  Does anyone out there run OpenWindows on
>such a machine, and what kind of performance do you get?

Thanks for the responses.  The consensus seems to be that upgrading
from 4Meg to 8 or 12Meg will allow Open Windows 2 to run reasonably well.
However, several people warned that the 3/50 should be used exclusively
for the OW, and that most real work (applications, etc.) should be done
on remote machines.

There were several interesting points, which I'll share:

Kerry Alt wrote:
>xterms are MUCH faster than cmd-tools, so always run them instead.
>In any event, I feel that all sun 3's NEED at least 8mb and a math
>coprocessor (mc8881, I think).

Kari Syst wrote that a friend of his was successfully running OW on an
8Meg 3/50, but added:
>However, when he saw me plaing with OW on SS1, he became jealous.

Marcel Bernards wrote that he experiences reasonable speed with OW2
on an 8 or 12Meg 3/50, but warned:
>However running devguide ( OW userinterface builder from Sun )
>is not as pleasant as it should be.

Thanks again to the following people who responded:

Rich Kaul (kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu)
Kelvin Don Nilsen (kelvin@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu)
Kerry Alt (kalt@NMSU.Edu)
Kari Syst (ks@tut.fi)