[comp.windows.open-look] Open Windows source

moore@DALE.FAC.CS.CMU.EDU (Dale Moore) (02/15/91)

It seems that Sun is no longer going to sell the Open Windows
source code.  The info I've received is that our order for the
source has been rejected.  And that Sun will no longer be selling
it.  The rumor is that some part of AT+T will sell it at some later
time.

Will anyone from Sun either confirm or deny this?

It looks to me that if you still want to run Open Windows today,
you'll have to buy a Sun or Sun clone.  I wonder what is so Open
about Open Windows?

Below are some of the pieces of announcements that I've received
off of the net.

Dale Moore
Senior Research Systems Programmer
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh PA, 15213
412-268-7685

From: korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp)
Subject: The real OpenWindows source announcement

SunFLASH Vol 23 #12                                            November 1990

           Package Includes Window System and Toolkits

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -- November 13, 1990 -- Sun Microsystems
announced today that the source code for its OpenWindows(TM)
application development environment will now be available free of
charge (cost of media only -- $995).  This means that hardware and
software developers will now have a cost-effective way to incorporate
OpenWindows -- including the easy-to-use OPEN LOOK(R) graphical user
interface -- into applications developed or ported to many platforms
from different vendors.

The package includes code for the X11/NeWs(TM) Window System, OPEN LOOK
toolkits, and OpenFonts(TM) with its TypeScaler(TM) technology.  Before
today, only OpenWindows binaries were available from Sun.

"Offering free source code for the industry's most advanced,
comprehensive window environment demonstrates our ongoing commitment to
open systems," said Ed Zander, vice president of marketing at Sun.

.
.
.
OpenWindows source code will be available January 1, 1991 on magnetic
tape for $995 (which includes the cost of media and documentation)
through Sun distributors.  The source license is included at no cost.
.
.
.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Cathleen Beall Garfield  (415) 336-6536
Diana Murray OpenWindows Licensing Manager (415) 336-1567

From: naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton)
Subject: OpenWindows Source Facts

The Part Number for this Source Product is: OWPS-2.0-X-X-5.

The source it NOT freely copiable... it is licensed for free, but the
licensee may not redistribute the source... or make it available via
ftp, etc...

.
.
.

To be eligible for a license you must fit one of these four categories:

 o) SPARC archictecture hardware vendor.
 o) SVR4 licensee.
 o) non-unix platform developer (Amiga, MacOS, etc).
 o) NeWS lisceneee prior to Oct, 1987.

"Editorial Note (Dale Moore):  We, CMU, fit three of those four categories."

This is an unsupported product, (i.e. you cannot call 1 800 USA-4SUN),
so we would prefer that you bought it through one of the "Master
Distributors" who will also support the product.  A list of these
distributors will be announced shortly.

.
.
.

For information regarding Sun Platforms contact:
        Smita Deshpande, (415) 336-4829, smitad@sun.com

For non-Sun platforms please contact:
        Diana Murray, (415) 336-1567, dianam@sun.com

Hope this clears some things up.

-Patrick
    Patrick J. Naughton                             ARPA: naughton@sun.com
    Windows and Graphics Group                      UUCP: ...!sun!naughton
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.                          AT&T: (415) 336 - 1080

sean@dsl.pitt.edu (Sean McLinden) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb14.192429.5500@cs.cmu.edu> moore@DALE.FAC.CS.CMU.EDU (Dale Moore) writes:

>It seems that Sun is no longer going to sell the Open Windows
>source code.  The info I've received is that our order for the
>source has been rejected.  And that Sun will no longer be selling
>it.  The rumor is that some part of AT+T will sell it at some later
>time.

The rumor that *I* heard was that Intersystems would be distributing it
under the same terms as the original Sun agreement.

It is really a shame that sane human beings have to deal at all with
this company (Sun). To paraphrase President Bush, Sun's handling of the
Open Windows source announcements seem to be nothing more than a "cruel
hoax." At the management level I can't see that this company has any
talent, whatsoever.

sean@dsl.pitt.edu (Sean McLinden) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb15.165621.16407@dsl.pitt.edu> I wrote:
>The rumor that *I* heard was that Intersystems would be distributing it
>under the same terms as the original Sun agreement.

Oops. Should have been "Interactive Systems." Sorry for the confusion
(this is how rumors get started, I guess).