[comp.windows.open-look] xview needs fast network

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (02/16/91)

I've noticed that the xview tools run very slowly over a low speed network
(SLIP, localtalk, ..). So just for fun, I ran xscope to compare the traffic
generated by echoing a single keystroke in cmdtool as contrasted with xterm.

cmdtool needed 336 bytes of traffic, where xterm needed 60. This is just
the x-protocol data, and doesn't count the KeyPress event.

This was the easiest thing to measure, but just about everything else I
try in xview runs poorly over a slow link too.

---
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP
Dept of Math and CS | km@emory.bitnet              NON-DOMAIN BITNET
Atlanta, GA 30322   | Phone: Voice (404) 727-7963, FAX 727-5611

daniel@island.COM (Daniel Smith) (02/20/91)

In <1991Feb15.235720@mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:

> I've noticed that the xview tools run very slowly over a low speed network
> (SLIP, localtalk, ..). So just for fun, I ran xscope to compare the traffic
> generated by echoing a single keystroke in cmdtool as contrasted with xterm.

	I think you mean to say "OpenWindows 2.0 Tools".  XView is
a toolkit (one of 4) to implement an Open Look interface.  OpenWindows
is the entire Sun X product.  Xnews is the X server within that product.

				Daniel
--
daniel@island.com       Daniel Smith, Island Graphics, (415) 491 0765 x 250(w)
daniel@world.std.com      4000 CivicCenterDrive SanRafael MarinCounty CA 94903