[comp.windows.open-look] xdm & OW fixes

arutherf@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Andrew Rutherford) (02/20/91)

Sorry about this, folks. When I posted the instructions on how to get xdm and
  OpenWindows running together, I was doing it from memory (machine I was
  working on does not have net access, work machines do but don't have OW!)
What follows is the fixes to my previous posting - that was (unfortunatly)
  on thew wrong newsgroup (alt.sys.sun) late Sunday (Australian time)

If, you're not interested, hit 'n' now.

A few fixes for my instructions on getting xdm & OW to work together:

In my original working setup, I had the environmental variables set again in
  Xsession for another (wrong) reason. I never got rid of these - it seems that
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH must be set again in Xsession.
The lib files that need to be symbolic linked to /usr/local/lib include
  libdeskset.*, libolgx.* and libxv*.*, this reported by someone by an SS1+
  with colour (far cry from my b&w 3/50). This is something I've never had to
  do, and so I believe this is fixed by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in Xsession.
  Only do this if you still have problems, and if so, please report to me so
  I can try to work out the problem and integrate it for everyone else.

A more serious problem (for those that use cmdtool - I sure don't) is that
  cmdtool appears to look up it's controlling terminal in the process
  information to see where it should redirect standard error too. I'm not
  entirly sure that is what the problem is, but the symptoms are these -
  {cmd,shell}tool seems to fire up OK, but you never get a prompt. This can
  be avoided by - (1) not using cmdtool, or (2) firing it up from an xterm.
The fact that it fires up OK from an xterm indicates it's not with the way
  the server interactions are setup, and the fact that it appears and prints
  text (console messages for a console cmdtool), and xterm works, indicates
  that the problem is internal to cmdtool.
A suggested fix (Thanks, Pierre) is that when you want to get a cmdtool, you
  use /usr/etc/sedsid -b cmdtool. I haven't been able to test this yet - the
  machines in here at work are 4.0.3 machines without OW so I can't really
  check. Would anyone who tries this tell me yay or nay as to if it works on
  their setup?

Thanks,
	Andrew.
--
Andrew Rutherford                   arutherf@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au
+61 8 228 4782                  Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and

phil@inetg1.Arco.Com (Phil Meyer) (02/21/91)

In article <2456@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au>, arutherf@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Andrew Rutherford) writes:

> A suggested fix (Thanks, Pierre) is that when you want to get a cmdtool, you
>   use /usr/etc/sedsid -b cmdtool. I haven't been able to test this yet - the
>   machines in here at work are 4.0.3 machines without OW so I can't really
>   check. Would anyone who tries this tell me yay or nay as to if it works on
>   their setup?

I have gotten the satndard xdm set up to work by putting a 'wrapper' around
cmdtool and shelltool.  I make a directory /usr/openwin/bin/xview/tools and
move cmdtool and shelltool into it.  I then created a replacement cmdtool
shell script like this:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/etc/setsid -b /usr/openwin/bin/xview/tools/cmdtool "$@"

and all works well.  Again, Thanks to Pierre!  This is on the newest and
latest SUN-OS 4.1.1 on SparkStation 2s.

Right now I'm working on an enhancement to xdm so that a user can choose which
server to run ie:  MIT X11R4 or xnews.  We have found quite a few applications
(most of which are home grown Motif based) that will not display on xnews.

If anyone has beat me to the punch, I'd like to hear about it.

--
| Phil Meyer         phil@arco.com  Work:(214) 754-6805                      |