[comp.windows.open-look] Raise and Lower

dsr@stl.stc.co.uk (D.S.Riches) (02/15/91)

Is it possible to get a window to move to the top when the cursor is
in the window and then to sink to the bottom when the cursor moves out
of the window?

If not, then how do I get it to come to the top (for specific windows
only, not all of them.)

   Dave Riches
   PSS:    David.S.Riches@stl.stc.co.uk (or dsr@stl.stc.co.uk)
   Smail:  Systems Methods, (Dept. 607, T2 West),
	   STC Technology Ltd., London Road,
	   Harlow, Essex. CM17 9NA.  England
   Phone:  +44 (0)279-29531 x2496

patl@Eng.Sun.COM (Pat Lashley [MtV NeWStech Eng.]) (02/20/91)

|>  Is it possible to get a window to move to the top when the cursor is
|>  in the window and then to sink to the bottom when the cursor moves out
|>  of the window?
|>
|>  If not, then how do I get it to come to the top (for specific windows
|>  only, not all of them.)

That is what the FRONT key is for.  (That's L5 on older Sun keyboards, I
don't know what it would be bound to for other machines.)  If the window
is on top, the FRONT key moves it to the bottom, otherwise it moves it to
the top.  You can also click on the window border to bring it to the top;
or use the frame menu to lower it.

This is covered in the OpenWindows Version 2 User's Guide (page 30).
I advise all new users of OpenWindows to read (or at least skim through)
the User's Guide.  The mouse and menu operations are also covered in
the Open Look Graphical User Interface Functional Specification.  (The
use of the FRONT key should be, but I can't find it off hand...)  I
advise all serious Open Look users or developers to read the OLGUIFS...

-Pat

fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) (02/20/91)

: On 19 Feb 91 17:53:06 GMT, patl@Eng.Sun.COM (Pat Lashley [MtV NeWStech Eng.]) said:

|>  Is it possible to get a window to move to the top when the cursor is
|>  in the window and then to sink to the bottom when the cursor moves out
|>  of the window?
|>
|>  If not, then how do I get it to come to the top (for specific windows
|>  only, not all of them.)

PL[NE> That is what the FRONT key is for.

Actually what I think he's looking for is the following in .Xdefaults:

    OpenWindows.AutoRaise:   true

See the man page for olwm for a complete list of these things.

Frank
--
Frank Peters   Internet:  fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu         Bitnet:  FWP1@MsState
               Phone:     (601)325-2942               FAX:     (601)325-8921

mrd@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Mark Dobie) (02/21/91)

In <4042@stl.stc.co.uk> dsr@stl.stc.co.uk (D.S.Riches) writes:

>Is it possible to get a window to move to the top when the cursor is
>in the window and then to sink to the bottom when the cursor moves out
>of the window?

I think if you have the focus following the mouse and autoraise set it
will bring a window to the front when the mouse moves over it. It
won't sink back down again, but other windows will move in front as
you move the mouse over them.

So,
	OpenWindows.AutoRaise:	true
	OpenWindows.SetInput:	followmouse
in your .Xdefaults and xrdb .Xdefaults in your .xinitrc.

Now my question! You know how you can group several windows together
with the middle mouse button and move them around together. Well I
really *WISH* you could close one of them and they would all close to
icons. Then you could have groups of icons on your screen and open and
close whole groups to change what you were doing.

Any ideas?

				Mark.
--

Mark Dobie                              M.Dobie@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)