[comp.windows.open-look] Properties in OpenWindows X fonts

kent@parc.xerox.com (Chris Kent) (02/16/91)

For an application I'm writing, I need to add properties to some of
our X fonts (it's a string property that specifies a font substitution).
I changed the bdf files, ran bdftosnf and mkfontdir, set my font path to
include the new fonts, and everything works fine on our R4 servers;
ListFontsWithInfo and QueryFont both return the property, as expected.

Then I tried to get things working with our OpenWindows servers, to no
avail. I used the same bdf files, ran convertfont on it to produce .fb
files, ran bldfamily to build the .ff files and the Families.list and
Synonyms.list, reset my font path, and nada. The server finds the fonts,
but the only properties it can find are FONT_NAME and COMMENT.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or does OpenWindows refuse to
propogate properties from bdf files? (I noticed that it also doesn't
retain all the XLFD properties that are in the bdf file.)

If OW doesn't keep the properties, this seems like a bug...

chris
--
Chris Kent		Xerox PARC CSL			Palo Alto, CA USA
kent@arisia.xerox.com	xerox!kent			+1.415.494.4821

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb15.192204.11088@parc.xerox.com> kent@parc.xerox.com (Chris Kent) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>Then I tried to get things working with our OpenWindows servers, to no
>avail. I used the same bdf files, ran convertfont on it to produce .fb
>files, ran bldfamily to build the .ff files and the Families.list and
>Synonyms.list, reset my font path, and nada. The server finds the fonts,
>but the only properties it can find are FONT_NAME and COMMENT.

I have had similar problems with fonts under OpenWindows, but not ones I
have added, but the built in ones.  The only property I can see is
X_SIZE.  In talking to Sun I have been told that this is indeed a bug.
Judging from the conversation they don't planned to have it fixed soon,
soon being this year.
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |