[comp.windows.open-look] Better terminal emulators than shelltool and cmdtool.

fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) (02/22/91)

In article <579@rome.gdwb.oz.au> csb@gdwb.oz.au (Craig Bishop) writes:

> Now I would like all the tools I use to use the same GUI, so has
> anyone out there created a terminal window which doesn't have the
> querks of shelltool and cmdtool but uses the OpenLook GUI.

Not that I know of.  Someone once posted a set of xterm keymappings
that let it cut and paste well with open windows (I may have them
archived away somewhere...I haven't looked).

Sun's cmdtool has always been broken in the terminal emulation area.

The ideal solution in my opinion would be to take the vt100 emulation
part of xterm and glue xview scrollbars and cut/paste behavior on to
it.

Frank

--
Frank Peters   Internet:  fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu         Bitnet:  FWP1@MsState
               Phone:     (601)325-2942               FAX:     (601)325-8921

>The ideal solution in my opinion would be to take the vt100 emulation
>part of xterm and glue xview scrollbars and cut/paste behavior on to
>it.

Or OLIT scrollbars, if you have OLIT; since "xterm" is Xt-based, it may
be easier to glue bits of some Xt-based toolkit to it than to glue bits
of a non-Xt-based toolkit such as XView to it.

I think AT&T may have an OL "xterm" as part of their X offering, but I
don't think it's part of Sun's X offering, yet (I *assume* AT&T provides
source to that version of "xterm" with the appropriate part of their
S5R4 source offering; if so, it will probably become part of Sun's X
offering in SunOS/S5R4).

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (02/26/91)

In article <6255@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>I think AT&T may have an OL "xterm" as part of their X offering, but I
>don't think it's part of Sun's X offering, yet.

There was a copy of it in the demo directory in the Beta release of OW 2.0.
That version at least was so buggy as to be unusable (it was even worse than
the rest of the Beta release).  [I suspect bugs in the Beta version OLIT for
the Suns]
--
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)