[comp.windows.open-look] Mail, mmdf and X-mail-readers.

ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) (02/20/91)

Hi netters,

I have a problem (another one besides that ;-)  I have recently installed
mmdf as the mail handler for my workstation.  The only problem is that I
was hoping to continue to use mailtool as my mail reader.

Unfortunately, the standard ucb mail client will not work with the format
that mmdf (or PP) places mail in.  And mailtool will not work with the ucb
mail replacement that is provided with mmdf.  So know I have a reasonable
mail handler, but no X interface to read it with.  I know about Xmh, but
I don't really like it, even though I have been using it for the past six
or so months.  And besides, it doesn't work too will with olwm.

So, could anyone offer advice on one of the following ;
  - Source for a mailtool like X interface that is configurable to be able
    to handle the mmdf (PP) mail files,
  - A way of configuring mailtool (OWII) so that it doesn't expect to be
    able to do non-standard things with "/usr/ucb/Mail" or with the spool
    files in "/usr/spool",
  - Any other solution you can see.

I know that zipmail (or zmail ?), an offspring from mush is to be released
commercially fairly soon.  I guess that that may be a solution if nothing
else is forthcomming.

thanx in advance
ant

--
  V   ant                       "It's great to be young and insane"
 \o/  ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au                    - Dream Team

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb20.064424.21917@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au> ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) writes:
>Unfortunately, the standard ucb mail client will not work with the format
>that mmdf (or PP) places mail in.  And mailtool will not work with the ucb
>mail replacement that is provided with mmdf.
> ...  I know about Xmh, but
>I don't really like it, even though I have been using it for the past six
>or so months.  And besides, it doesn't work too will with olwm.

Yeah.. MMDF & PP use that *superior* mailbox format ;-).

er.. anyway.  The /usr/ucb/Mail replacement that comes with MMDF
is the real thing (e.g. Berzerkeley code that's been hacked up to
read MMDF mailboxes & speak to /usr/mmdf/bin/submit the right way
to do mail submission).  About the only noticable difference is
the prompt which defaulted to something strange, but is easily
settable at compile time.

I've never looked at mailtool.  Is it a gooey interface that controls
/usr/ucb/Mail over pipes on std{in,out,err}?  If so either the MMDF-provided
/usr/ucb/Mail or `mush' should work properly.

My problem with xmh is that it crashes on my mailbox.  Must be because
of the 200 folders I keep around, eh?  So I'm stuck using `mh' until I
get the user agent we're working on working on X11 ...

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>