[comp.windows.open-look] Cmdtool stty problems

jcd@spock.att.com (Jack Dixon) (02/11/91)

I'm running Openwindows 2.0 on a Sparcstation 2 running SunOS 4.1.1, and
I`m having problems with the cmdtool.  For example, if I tip cua1 to
my modem I am unable to send any CRs or LFs.  Or if I do a tail -f on
a file I am unable to interrupt out and I have to send ^\ to get tail
to core dump and release.  I should mention that nothing weird like this
happens if I use an xterm instead.  (Hey, I like the openlook scrollbars,
ok?!)  I'll list my stty settings below in case that would help someone
spot the problem.

speed 9600 baud, 35 rows, 80 columns
parenb -parodd cs7 -cstopb -hupcl cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
ixon -ixany -ixoff imaxbel
isig iexten icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop
echoctl -echoprt echoke
opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel -tabs
erase  kill   werase rprnt  flush  lnext  susp   intr   quit   stop   eof
^H     ^U     ^W     ^R     ^O     ^V     ^Z/^Y  ^?     ^\     ^S/^Q  ^D

I use ksh, but the problem with tip occurs even using naked csh.  But with
csh a ^C does interrupt tail -f.

Thanks for any help in finding which stty settings I'm missing.
Jack Dixon,  AT&T
{ ...!att!vogon!jcd, jcd@vogon.att.com }

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb11.091407.27845@cbnewse.att.com>, jcd@spock.att.com (Jack
Dixon) writes:

> I'm running Openwindows 2.0 on a Sparcstation 2 running SunOS 4.1.1, and
> I`m having problems with the cmdtool.  For example, if I tip cua1 to
> my modem I am unable to send any CRs or LFs.  Or if I do a tail -f on
> a file I am unable to interrupt out and I have to send ^\ to get tail
> to core dump and release.  I should mention that nothing weird like this
> happens if I use an xterm instead.  (Hey, I like the openlook scrollbars,
> ok?!)  I'll list my stty settings below in case that would help someone
> spot the problem.

Please post any responses, 'cuz I have similar problems even when not
dialing up, but only on my home machine!  I have also heard from someone
who has a similar problem on their work machine.

> --
> --
> Jack Dixon,  AT&T
> { ...!att!vogon!jcd, jcd@vogon.att.com }

--

---
Greg Pasquariello

djp@ecs.soton.ac.uk (David Pritchard) (02/20/91)

In <1991Feb14.093919@Unify.com> grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) writes:

>In article <1991Feb11.091407.27845@cbnewse.att.com>, jcd@spock.att.com (Jack
>Dixon) writes:

>> I'm running Openwindows 2.0 on a Sparcstation 2 running SunOS 4.1.1, and
>> I`m having problems with the cmdtool.  For example, if I tip cua1 to
... more details omitted

>Please post any responses, 'cuz I have similar problems even when not
... more details omitted

I recently spent most of a day trying to debug a piece of third-party
software, eventually tracking it down to cmdtool (the software worked
ok under xterm, but it took me a while to spot the corelation - I thought
that it was the machine (cmdtool = localhost, xterm = remotehost) )

What was happening was that cmdtool was IGNORING ioctl() requests, in
particular the icrnl attribute.  I reported this to SUN, who were EXTREMELY
uncooperative - its not a bug its a feature, so they do not intend to fix
it.

Even though we, too, like the sexy scrollbars, we have so much stuff which
just will not work with cmdtool (or shelltool) that we are on the point of
abandoning xview and going back to vanilla X11 :-(

--

Dr David J. Pritchard			(the Dr is to distinguish from
					a student of the same name!)

paul@trlamct.trl.oz.au (Paul Elliott) (02/22/91)

From article <1991Feb14.093919@Unify.com>, by grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello):
> In article <1991Feb11.091407.27845@cbnewse.att.com>, jcd@spock.att.com (Jack
> Dixon) writes:
> I'm running Openwindows 2.0 on a Sparcstation 2 running SunOS 4.1.1, and
> I`m having problems with the cmdtool.  For example, if I tip cua1 to
> my modem I am unable to send any CRs or LFs.  Or if I do a tail -f on
> a file I am unable to interrupt out and I have to send ^\ to get tail
> to core dump and release.  I should mention that nothing weird like this
> happens if I use an xterm instead.  (Hey, I like the openlook scrollbars,
> ok?!)  I'll list my stty settings below in case that would help someone
> spot the problem.

I have noticed the same problem with SunOS 4.0.3 and 4.1 on a Sun 3.

It appears that tip does not like the scrolling feature of a cmdtool.

tip works fine in a cmdtool if you disable scrolling.

Paul Elliott.	AI Systems	Telecom Australia Research Labs
ACSnet: p.elliott@trl.OZ.AU			FAX: 61 3 543 8863
ARPA: p.elliott%trl.OZ.AU@uunet.uu.net		PH:  61 3 541 6705
UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!trl.OZ.AU!p.elliott

arutherf@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Andrew Rutherford) (02/22/91)

In article <2713@trlluna.trl.oz> paul@trlamct.trl.oz.au (Paul Elliott) writes:
>From article <1991Feb14.093919@Unify.com>, by grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello):
>> In article <1991Feb11.091407.27845@cbnewse.att.com>, jcd@spock.att.com (Jack
>> Dixon) writes:
>> I`m having problems with the cmdtool.  For example, if I tip cua1 to
>> my modem I am unable to send any CRs or LFs.
[ ... some stuff deleted ... ]
>>                           I should mention that nothing weird like this
>> happens if I use an xterm instead.

>It appears that tip does not like the scrolling feature of a cmdtool.
>
>tip works fine in a cmdtool if you disable scrolling.

That's not really the problem. If you disable scrolling, you also turn on
  vt100 emulation - you can't have both at once (like xterm), only one of
  the two. So when you say "Scrolling stuffs up tip because if I turn
  scrolling off it works" you are really saying "It works when I turn vt100
  emulation on", which is what one would expect.
Me, I'm waiting for a version of cmdtool that supports both at the same time
  (ala xterm). In the meantime, I'll rely on xterm - cmdtool has too many
  other quirks.

--
Andrew Rutherford                   arutherf@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au
+61 8 228 4782                  Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (02/25/91)

In article <6854@ecs.soton.ac.uk> djp@ecs.soton.ac.uk (David Pritchard) writes:

>   Even though we, too, like the sexy scrollbars, we have so much stuff which
>   just will not work with cmdtool (or shelltool) that we are on the point of
>   abandoning xview and going back to vanilla X11 :-(

Don't forget that cmdtool allows you to use the mouse to edit the
command line. This is the real problem, because the terminal is
trying to emulate cbreak mode (not vt100 mode).

If xterm tried to provide the same functionality, it would have
similar problems.

Most termcap applications should send out the TI sequence, which
turns off scrollbars automatically, putting the window into shelltool
mode - which doesn't have to emulate cbreak. If your program doesn't
do this, you can use the following aliases:

alias ScrollOn '/usr/5bin/echo "\033[>4h\c"'
alias ScrollOff '/usr/5bin/echo "\033[>4l\c"'

You can also split the window into two views, and have scrollbars in
one window, and run your application in the other.

Does xterm allow you to cut and paste wide lines between two different
width windows, and retain the original line length? Also - does Xterm
allow you to select text outside of the current view of the window?
I also use secondary selection a lot, which xterm doesn't support.

IMHO, Both xterm and cmdtool need work.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) (02/25/91)

: On 25 Feb 91 14:16:26 GMT, barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) said:

In article <BARNETT.91Feb25091626@grymoire.crd.ge.com> barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:

> In article <6854@ecs.soton.ac.uk> djp@ecs.soton.ac.uk (David Pritchard) writes:

>>   Even though we, too, like the sexy scrollbars, we have so much stuff which
>>   just will not work with cmdtool (or shelltool) that we are on the point of
>>   abandoning xview and going back to vanilla X11 :-(

> Don't forget that cmdtool allows you to use the mouse to edit the
> command line. This is the real problem, because the terminal is
> trying to emulate cbreak mode (not vt100 mode).

> If xterm tried to provide the same functionality, it would have
> similar problems.

Hmmm...bash and ksh and tcsh and other shells that allow command line
editing (using..you guessed it..cbreak mode) work just fine in xterms.
These same programs don't work properly in cmdtool.  Hos does adding
mouse control influence that?

> IMHO, Both xterm and cmdtool need work.

No argument there

Frank

--
Frank Peters   Internet:  fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu         Bitnet:  FWP1@MsState
               Phone:     (601)325-2942               FAX:     (601)325-8921

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (02/26/91)

In article <FWP1.91Feb25084451@Jester.CC.MsState.Edu> fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) writes:

   Hmmm...bash and ksh and tcsh and other shells that allow command line
   editing (using..you guessed it..cbreak mode) work just fine in xterms.
   These same programs don't work properly in cmdtool.  Hos does adding
   mouse control influence that?

cmdtool appears to be in cbreak mode, but isn't. The toolkit is doing
all of the work to edit the command line, and the shell - or any other
program running in a cmdtool window - gets the benefit of a consistant
method for editing text without having to do any work. Can you use the
ksh editing commands when you are running /usr/ucb/mail? Nope.
But you can with cmdtool.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett