[comp.windows.open-look] Help with "convertfont"

elric@imryrr.Eng.Sun.COM (Rick Heli) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb13.215205.26409@osceola.cs.ucf.edu> vemula@waunatta.cs.ucf.edu (Udaya Bhaskar Vemulapati) writes:
>I am trying to convert some .bdf files to Xnews/X11 server format. But when I
>use the convertfont program that came with our Sun-4 Openlook software, it
>gives me the followinf standard error (even for .f3b of the system fonts),
>
>	: not a valid font file
>	test.bdf: not a valid font.
>
>As I said before, I get the same error even for system fonts. Am I missing
>something here? Incidentally that test.bdf file is not corrupted (because my
>bdftosnf works fine on that and my X11 server displays that .snf file properly).

Perhaps the first few lines in your BDF files are comment lines?

convertfont converts a wide number of source formats and so depends on
the first line of a font file to decide what the type is.  Try making a
copy with the leading comments deleted and give it another try.

As for failing on .f3b, convertfont has never handled that type of font.
Instead, run makeafb on the .f3b and then run convertfont on the resulting
.afb files.

--
						Rick Heli
						Internet:  rheli@sun.COM